You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton at Home match thread

Megadrive Man

I have to wonder how Rodgers will face the Gerrard situation. He's going to have to face it head on sooner or later this season because sometimes Stevie needs to be coming off the bench rather than completing the ninety regardless of performance. 

I acknowledge Gerrard had his best season for 4 seasons last year but let's be realistic, the guy is 33 years old and not the player he once was. He can still be a major player for us but this doesn't have to be as a guaranteed starter. I'd much rather have Gerrard coming off the bench with 25 minutes to go than anybody else. Trouble is, we didn't address central midfield at all this summer so our options are rather limited. I guess we can just hope that Joe Allen comes good. It's possible. 

Fuck England off, Stevie. You know it's the right thing to do.

Totti did the same for Roma and nowadays at 37 are still turning out MOTM performances for Roma week in, week out.

Southampton are fifth.

Swansea belted Valencia 3-0 after playing us.

We might have been shit today, but we weren't playing against shit in the last 2 games either.

It's a very very tough open league this term.

Chelsea could jump 8 places in a couple of hours time.

that's not the case, the problem is our midfield, most teams playing with high pressing, ability to hold the ball well under pressure and decent midfield will overpower ours, and it's a key area to our style of play. Our midfield is just unbalanced and weak, . major fuck up in the transfer window I think

Glad I never went today ( Sciatica ) watched a stream, to call us poor is being kind, big reality check which we must use as a motivator. Too many going through the motions and a few not good enough.

The midfield is of particular concern, new legs needed. Hope he rests players in the Utd game, fuck it off I say.

that's not the case, the problem is our midfield, most teams playing with high pressing, ability to hold the ball well under pressure and decent midfield will overpower ours, and it's a key area to our style of play. Our midfield is just unbalanced and weak, . major fuck up in the transfer window I think

Our midfield may well be a problem.

I happened to be mentioning the openness of the competition, and that perhaps Southampton and Swansea aren't shit.

I think we need to look at the formation - 4-3-3 isn't working in my opinion.

its supposed to be an attacking formation but 5 gals in 5 games v average opposition isn't great but I think its leaving us exposed as well

a real top team could give us a spanking

I worry brendan's adapting the formation to suit the players he has rather than adapting the players to suit his formation

It will be interesting to see where Daniel plays when Luis is back

• Upvote 1

Our midfield may well be a problem.

I happened to be mentioning the openness of the competition, and that perhaps Southampton and Swansea aren't shit.

sure mate, but they aren't world-beaters, I mean, it comes to a situation when every team with some decent budget, international players and overhyped manager playing possession based football is becoming a serious threat to us, both swansea and southampton were playing in the lower league 3-2 seasons ago. Our shite midfield and lack of balls leading to bottle-like behaviour is the key I think. Proper defensive midfielder and balls transplant are urgent.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

Been at work all day, can someone sum up how bad it was.

Good <--------------------------------------------------------|------------->Bad

• Upvote 1

Sorry Moof you're wrong.

Gerrard is being played out of position.

..... and he's now playing in a midfield 3 with 2 pretty average players in Lucas and Henderson.

The Gerard we know had Alonso, Mascherano, Sissoko etc do do the dirty work whilst he was the creative player - now he has to do EVERYTHING as the other 2 are average at best and spends most of his time just in front or alongside the centre halves

Sorry Moof you're wrong.

..... and he's now playing in a midfield 3 with 2 pretty average players in Lucas and Henderson.

The Gerard we know had Alonso, Mascherano, Sissoko etc do do the dirty work whilst he was the creative player - now he has to do EVERYTHING as the other 2 are average at best and spends most of his time just in front or alongside the centre halves

Ok, so that somehow excuses him from giving the ball away countless times and strolling around while the opposition runs past him?

sure mate, but they aren't world-beaters, I mean, it comes to a situation when every team with some decent budget, international players and overhyped manager playing possession based football is becoming a serious threat to us, both swansea and southampton were playing in the lower league 3-2 seasons ago. Our shite midfield and lack of balls leading to bottle-like behaviour is the key I think. Proper defensive midfielder and balls transplant are urgent.

I am not disagreeing there is room for serious and significant improvement.

Sorry Moof you're wrong.

would you call lucas and henderson average?? omg... think i heard their names about twice... stevie had it all to do... 

• Downvote 1

Ok, so that somehow excuses him from giving the ball away countless times and strolling around while the opposition runs past him?

he did give the ball away a bit accepted, but at no time did he stroll around

he was all over the pitch (time to take the corner taking duties away from him though)