You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A Friendly Intervention...

WhiskeyJar

I had a discussion with Hank the other day about Sahin; two fans from different backgrounds actually debating the best position of a class player from a different league.

Does this mean he was wrong or right? Does it mean that I am wrong or right?

No, but the debate, which other posters joined and carried on after I left, was interesting.

Now take that concept and apply that logic to some of more tedious posters that we have here; the concept breaks down.

i am new to this site and to be honest the forum appears to be nothing but abuse. You are putting your debate up with Hank as an example of how it should be done (presumedly). This is the debate were one of you stated that anybody who disagreed with his opinion on the Lucas/Sahin debate was 'a psychotic moron'

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i am new to this site and to be honest the forum appears to be nothing but abuse. You are putting your debate up with Hank as an example of how it should be done (presumedly). This is the debate were one of you stated that anybody who disagreed with his opinion on the Lucas/Sahin debate was 'a psychotic moron'

9 posts and negged into the red already. Good work!

I had a discussion with Hank the other day about Sahin; two fans from different backgrounds actually debating the best position of a class player from a different league.

No, but the debate, which other posters joined and carried on after I left, was interesting.

Now take that concept and apply that logic to some of more tedious posters that we have here; the concept breaks down.

Pissflap.

I don't know whether it is purely an internet / forum problem or that coming on here has just bought it into stark focus for me but people now seem to be incapable of agreeing to disagree. It seems a lot of people are near enough obsessed with making people think the way they do and will go to great lengths to make it happen. We all are guilty of it to some degree-i certainly am but some on here take it to a whole new level.

I think i read something on here (i think) which sums it up perfectly for me that if you give someone a mask they will tell you the truth, give someone the internet and they will turn into a right silly cunt(or words to that effect)

Its silly season here and this happens every year.

It will calm down until about four games in and then depending how we look,it will either start a big mongfest about how shit we are,manager is etc etc or it will be one big happy lovin.

Though it has been getting worse,still it keeps people on Otterspool prom happy with all the fighting going on.

Why?

Because some posters believe they are right no matter insane their points are.

A posters stance against our new Manager (calling him an idiot) and another posters stances against Lucas is but a few examples of this way of backward thinking.

Sorry but is this for real?

Is it possible to write things like this with a straight face?

...but, the way code expresses his opinion(s) leaves little room for mild mannered response, and those that do choose to react fairly or with reasoned approach are soon drowned out by all the shouting. Beginning post with "who in their right mind..." doesnt exactly welcome differing opinions. "if you dont agree you are not of sound mind" is the subtext. Responses such as last night's "why? is it because you are retarted?" or "only a retard would think..."

That isnt open debate. It's a closed shop with a sign that says "this is the right thing, you're not right, dont come back until you agree or i'll just keep telling you the right thing over and over again" and it's simply quite impolite.

Sorry but I have to comment on this since its so specific.

Last year getting 4th was as important as getting 5th, winning the league cup or losing the FA Cup, the only thing getting 4th did was get you into the Europa League.

If anyone think getting 4th in those circumstances are better than reaching two finals and winning one, well then they are not really worth listening to as they dont really understand the subject that is football.

This is not really up for discussion either, thats just how it is.

If getting 4th had given you CL qualification its soemthing that could be debated, even if I would always win something over not winning.

KopiteLewis confessed to not actually knowing 4th only got you into Europa League as he said he thought Chelsea got 4th, well they did not so it was clearly an evidence of him not really knowing what he was talking about or discussing.

I tried to let the others involved sit down and think about it and maybe then realize 4th actually meant fuck all last season compared to winning a trophy and getting to a final, but I was not going to spell it out for them to help them not look like total morons.

Like I've said before the front page of Evening Standard on the Thursday before the semi final was Van der Vart saying I want the FA Cup our chairman wants 4th, obviously because the chairman thought getting 4th secured CL money, but thats not a guarantee at all, if you win something no one can take that away from you.

It was open debate and I asked for reasons for their thinking several times, but just got some replies where they thought their point made sense and did not really need to expalin it as I was obviously wrong.

I was actually pissing myself reading those posts last night where one after the other set themselves up to be total idiots showing they did not really know 4th place last year did not secure CL money or qualification.

It was priceless.

Otherwise a good post and I agree with most.

Well, this pretentiously named "intervention" thread has done its job, hasn't it?

It's singled one person out and got them arguing over nothing with someone else, brought in a new poster who's come in sanctimoniously telling us what's wrong with us and getting themselves negged, and has other posters on here, known for their argumentum ad hominem and abuse, telling people who post their opinions about football that they should only do so once and not dare bore people by stating their opinion on a certain subject again.

Job done. Intervention successful.

Or counter-productive, more like.

Now, can we all go back to doing what we were doing?

It's taken you 25 minutes to come up with that?

I knew you'd try and worm your way out of recognising what was being said, simply because doing so would force you to show some kind of humility, but I expected better than that.

I've been watching TV and had some food, I'm not on here 24h a day, sorry to disappoint.

But why should I show humility?

I'd say 0.05% of my posts involves abusive language, so even if I did question a few peoples brain capacity last night its not really something I need to show any humility about when I sit back and ignore personal abuse on hourly basis if thats a word.

Sometimes you just need to try and hammer a point home though when normal logic seems to be lost on the ones in the discussion and they dont even want to argue their point, just be abusive and post pathetic pictures.

Edit- and for this thread, someone who contradicts himself in the opening post and who obviously dont see the irony in what he wrote cant be taken serious can he?

The only one to actually make sense in this thread is index1000.

No I did not miss the point.

You did mate, but its no bother, picking you out by name was more a well timed example than a specific dig at you.

My point was the manner of the delivery is the problem (as I said to you in the summer 2009 thread and you acknowledged).

You're point about finishing 4th and cup wins etc is irrelevant to what I'm saying, its that it has to descend into picking one of 2 distinct sides now because you've set your stall out (anyone not on your boat is a retard) and the others have dug in opposite and maybe offered some insults back. Either way, who now wants to come in and offer their view that isn't one or the other.

Ultimately what you have said in that topic is right and cannot be wrong. It can't be wrong as you are saying what you prefer and that's that. But you've got to accept that the others can't be wrong either for exactly the same reason, so taking that into account, the retard comments ate just inflammatory, make you come across as a dick, make others king in.suits your way, and you're back to square one.

My view while were on the topic, I agree with you that the wembley trips and the trophy were fantastic, but at the same time, we were shot in the league and I wasn't surprised or all that disappointed kenny was moved on. Cunt retard bastard.

Sorry but is this for real?

Is it possible to write things like this with a straight face?

Your condescending attitude, tedious points, stubbornness and lack of respect for other posters views is ruining TLW forum.

If you really can't understand that then you really need professional help.

Your condescending attitude, tedious points, stubbornness and lack of respect for other posters views is ruining TLW forum.

If you really can't understand that then you really need professional help.

You're a psychologist/psychiatrist are you?

I'm sorry, who's showing a lack of respect for other posters now?

Rather than sending Code to a shrink, why not just put him on ignore?

Mate, you're turning your own thread into a wind-up.

Was that your original intention, or are you just being ironic?

You're a psychologist/psychiatrist are you?

I'm sorry, who's showing a lack of respect for other posters now?

Rather than sending Code to a shrink, why not just put him on ignore?

Mate, you're turning your own thread into a wind-up.

Was that your original intention, or are you just being ironic?

Dont worry Skaro.

You are trying to reason with someone who in his opening post in this thread glorified himself as this voice of reason who more than anything want open debate only to totally dismiss two views he do not agree with a couple of lines further down trying to ridicule those with such views on something as subjective as players and managers.

Its pretty funny reading though.