You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Stevie

fowler9

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, and I know some will think this is sacrilege, I think he's the best player ever to play for the club.

Doesn't quite have the finesse and vision and touch of Kenny but as a pure force of nature he is out there on his own for me. Some of the oldies still put Souness ahead of him but I just can't see it myself.

Kenny was lucky enough to play in some of the greatest teams ever while Stevie has time and again carried teams on his shoulders. He is the main reason we won the european cup for the fifth time and I shudder to think where we would've been without him for the last 10 years.

Impossible to pick who's the best out of him and Dalglish but I suppose that's up there with the greatest compliments you can give the man.

Steven Gerrard I salute you.

He strikes me as some one who will retain his fitness and general play well until hes 35/36. Theres not an ounce of fat on him. Just look at bellamy for an example. Hes as fast as he ever was.

Combined with the fact that his body hasn't had much wear and tear the last season or so. And given the team is improving, his motivation would still be quite high.

Since I first saw Gerrard come on in his first game I knew he was the shit, by the second app I knew John Barnes place as my fav ever player was likely to be eclipsed.

Here was how football should be played, indeed, he was the embodiment of how Id been trying to play at a fundamental level.

You cant stop Gerrard, thats the thing, ronaldo, Messi, they can all be stopped, gerrard, theres no player can stop him and thats it.

And theres no talent in his boots, its all practiced, honed until it becomes an available instinct in any given moment in the game.

He needs a league title, a world player of the year and would it kill ye to score a few overhead kicks Stevie?

Having been able to see the 70s teams and some amazing players that we have had,I would rate him as the best I have seen.

Kenny was a amazing player with different qualities and the same for John Barnes,but for there all round ability etc theres noone who comes close in that respect.

Stevie can be put into any position to play and he would better than most in that position.

When you take in the class of players Stevie has had to play with at times as well and the amount of times he has practically carried the team to wins.

That FA cup final against West Ham is I would say the greatest player performance I have seen from a player,since Jan Molbys performance funny enough in the cup final against the blueshite.

That FA cup final against West Ham is I would say the greatest player performance I have seen from a player,since Jan Molbys performance funny enough in the cup final against the blueshite.

Totally agree with this. I will never forget THAT goal at the end of normal time. From what I recall he had been cramping up, yet somehow managed to find space to hit the ball incredibly hard and accurately from about 35 yards out to score a fantastic and inspirational goal.

He is a very special player and I feel privileged to have been able to watch and enjoy his football.

Combined with the fact that his body hasn't had much wear and tear the last season or so. And given the team is improving, his motivation would still be quite high.

I think with Giggs now we're seeing what's possible with players who've looked after themselves and been looked after by their clubs longterm. Sports science has come on in leaps and bounds, and just the way the likes of cruciate injuries and broken legs are no longer career enders, I think we'll see more and more players staying on until their mid and late 30s.

Totally agree with this. I will never forget THAT goal at the end of normal time. From what I recall he had been cramping up, yet somehow managed to find space to hit the ball incredibly hard and accurately from about 35 yards out to score a fantastic and inspirational goal.

He is a very special player and I feel privileged to have been able to watch and enjoy his football.

This is well worth a watch of if you havent seen it before.

[YOUTUBE]6nz5nzCFjPA[/YOUTUBE]

Yeah, he is better than zidane, he hasnt had enough success at national level but then zidane had viera, petit, deschamps, pires, makalele, etc, etc backing him up and then on top was given licence in a free role, contrast with gerrard, no lynchpin and treated as a water carriering trawler for the likes of lampard. Fuck england.

Yeah, he is better than zidane, he hasnt had enough success at national level but then zidane had viera, petit, deschamps, pires, makalele, etc, etc backing him up and then on top was given licence in a free role, contrast with gerrard, no lynchpin and treated as a water carriering trawler for the likes of lampard. Fuck england.

Agree with this too. His talent has been wasted and abused by successive England managers. I suppose his problem is that he is just too good and can play almost anywhere, and he quite literally has been, like you say, to accommodate much less talented players.