You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I was wrong about Kenny

Section_31

You really aint wrong or right yet. The man has only managed 3 games so far. Time will tell how he performs. I sincerely hope he succeeds, as much for his own sake as well as for liverpools as I would hate for Kenny to ruin his reputation.

He won't ruin his reputation. If he puts everything into it but doesn't succeed, that will not ruin his reputation.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Completely agree with the OP and other contributors here. I was very anxious about Kenny returning as manager, but it just seems more right than I ever imagined. I think it's the joy that he is unable to conceal at being back in the one job that he really wanted that is so infectious.

That and the fact that everytime he opens his mouth, he sounds like a Liverpool manager, and not somebody who I desperately want to sound like one, but deep down I know that I'm having to do a lot of work on their behalf to make it so.

It feels more right than things have felt since...well, the last time he was leaping out the dugout, giving the press the run around, and generally exuding an aura of godliness.

Didn't want to start a new thread, so this one seemed most pertinent:

The other Sunday I sat in the Spurs press room prior to their game against Manchester United. One of the early kick-offs, the Merseyside derby, was being shown on the various television monitors.

I couldn’t help but notice that Raul Meireles’ goal for Liverpool was greeted in silence whereas the two Everton strikes early in the second half, after which I had to leave to get to the commentary position, provoked roars of approval. To quote the late Rafa Benitez, that is a “fact”.

Many of the country’s football correspondents were at White Hart Lane — it was easily the biggest game of the day — most with no connection whatsoever to Merseyside. Are they really ‘anti-Liverpool’ or, for whatever reason, are they against the ‘second coming’ of Kenny Dalglish and hoping it will fail? I may be entirely wrong but that’s how it seemed.

Too stout a defence has been made by too many regarding the Roy Hodgson regime. Too much was made of Dalglish failing to win any of his first three games: after all, two were away from home, a Hodgson ‘forte’, and the other was the Everton battle. Anyhow, it now looks as if many may be disappointed.

Liverpool will not win the title. They will not qualify for the Champions League. It’s unlikely they’ll make the Europa League unless they win this season’s competition. However, if I correctly lip-read Sammy Lee as he turned to Dalglish after Torres scored Liverpool’s third at Molineux, I agree: “We’re back!” he screamed.

Wolves’ Stephen Ward, who scored the only goal when the sides met just after Christmas, said: “Things change when a new manager comes in and credit to Liverpool, they’ve come down here (where Chelsea and Manchester City both lost) and been a lot better than when we won at Anfield.” Too right.

Saturday’s was only Liverpool’s third away win in 21 games but it was a huge improvement on anything seen under Hodgson. Dalglish has totally changed the atmosphere with a return to the playing style the club’s supporters have longed for: ‘the Liverpool way’.

Yes, Fernando Torres was a lone striker but he ‘felt’ far from alone given the willingness of others, particularly the outstanding Meireles, to rush forward in support. This was a revived Liverpool, a wholly positive Liverpool, casting off the negativity of the previous manager.

It’s still a long way forward. The return of Steven Gerrard after suspension tomorrow night against Fulham poses the question as to where Meireles will play. Why not play the skipper deeper and allow the Portuguese international to flourish in that role at the centre of the three behind Torres?

And where, if Ian Holloway isn’t affronted by another “disgraceful” bid — I gather Blackpool are being offered at least eight times what they paid for the player — would Charlie Adam fit in?

Surely the priorities lie elsewhere? They need a left back, probably Stephen Warnock, initially on loan, and a really good central defender alongside Daniel Agger. That may have to wait till the summer. Above all, it is essential Dalglish signs a quality striker. That’s why Damien Camolli is in Amsterdam in pursuit of Luis Suarez.

But, rest assured, especially certain correspondents, Liverpool are on the up.

Alan Green: Kenny Dalglish will make a write fool of his media begrudgers - Alan Green, Columnists - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

I think the decision to give Dalglish the hotseat is one that requires looking at after a fair more than five games. He's definitely been good for us in the short-term though. I found myself having to regulate some snide comment from Evans, at the The Times, today, as he felt it was okay to have a sneering pop at people who doubted Dalglish as the right choice; how the fuck that sort of attitude helps at a time when things are being pulled together a bit I have no idea.

I found myself having to regulate some snide comment from Evans, at the The Times, today, as he felt it was okay to have a sneering pop at people who doubted Dalglish as the right choice; how the fuck that sort of attitude helps at a time when things are being pulled together a bit I have no idea.

That sounds more like a dig at other journos to be honest rather than doubting Liverpool fans.

I think the decision to give Dalglish the hotseat is one that requires looking at after a fair more than five games. He's definitely been good for us in the short-term though. I found myself having to regulate some snide comment from Evans, at the The Times, today, as he felt it was okay to have a sneering pop at people who doubted Dalglish as the right choice; how the fuck that sort of attitude helps at a time when things are being pulled together a bit I have no idea.

As I said earlier in the thread though Stu, the point I was trying to make was not that I doubted his football credentials and have since been proven wrong by three wins and three clean sheets, but that I believed him to be a man who no longer had the energy and passion for a Premiership fight, and on that I think I have been proved wrong. He has the passion, the spirit, desire, the smile and the wits for this job again, beyond doubt.

That sounds more like a dig at other journos to be honest rather than doubting Liverpool fans.

"You were all right, too, about KD being out of the game for too long. Doesn't get modern game. Clearly. Wants to do that pass and move stuff"

Whether it's at other journalists or at fans it's still a shitty, sneering attitude to take.