You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

redsoxs

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man-marking. Opponents score goals, not zones.

You really are thick as pigshit, aren't you?

Mypost for manager, opponents score goals. You fucking couldn't make it up.

Btw, are you sure it's not the ball instead? After all, it's the ball that crosses the line and makes the goal?

From another site (RAWK) thanks Prof

Here's the data everyone's been craving (having looked up all goal data on chalkboards):

09-10 season

35 goals conceded in the league

3 pens

5 freekicks

5 corners

22 open play

10-11 season so far (22 games)

31 goals conceded in the league

3 pens

2 freekicks

4 corners

22 open play

Interestingly, we only conceded 1 set piece goal in our last 25 games last season (in the last minute away at Stoke on 16th Jan) which also means we were worse at defending set pieces at the start of last season compared to this one. However last season we rarely kept the same back 4 from one game to the next due to injuries.

Hybrid-zonal, by which I mean we should go zonal but consider man marking main opposition threats (e.g. Fellaini). This should give us defenders attacking the ball and double cover on the main threats (the man marker and the zonal marker), which hopefully should be enough to prevent them getting a good connection.

Zonal should help to avoid the wrestling we see from Skretl and the Greek whenever they get outrun/outthought in a man marking situation.

Despite what mypost (Martin Tyler's Monkey?) and Sky will tell you, zonal marking is extremely effective. It requires more organisation than man-to-man marking in my opinion, and it promotes the idea of collective responsibility. That's not to say man-to-man doesn't have it's uses. What both require (when it comes to set pieces and corners) is defenders who can both anticipate where the ball is going to be (either within their "zone" or in the direction of the player they're marking), and the nous to react quickly (be proactive). As the ball is most likely to be aerial, timing of the jump is key. That's something that you could say is a negative for zonal marking because it allows the attacker a running jump. However, with zonal marking, I think the players can deal with the second ball much better because they're not out of position because of marking an opponent. What I would say is the either set-up can be unlocked when you have players prone to lapses in concentration or bouts of recklessness.

For what it's worth, I'd also put a man on each post and tell (nay, demand) them not to stray under any circumstances until the danger is properly cleared. If my team possesses a player adept at launching a quick counter either by running with or distributing the ball, I'd place him in the D. I'd also have another player (a pacey player, ideally a striker) 30-35 yards out, to prevent the opposition bringing too many men forward, and to give our players a target when clearing upfield.

Good post. Just to add though that in this picture those guys marked M have the responsibility for making sure that this is only a theoretical weakness, by ensuring that anyone who could possibly get an advantage through a running jump, doesn't (by blocking the run etc).

0911241003.jpg

Despite what mypost (Martin Tyler's Monkey?) and Sky will tell you, zonal marking is extremely effective. It requires more organisation than man-to-man marking in my opinion, and it promotes the idea of collective responsibility. That's not to say man-to-man doesn't have it's uses. What both require (when it comes to set pieces and corners) is defenders who can both anticipate where the ball is going to be (either within their "zone" or in the direction of the player they're marking), and the nous to react quickly (be proactive). As the ball is most likely to be aerial, timing of the jump is key. That's something that you could say is a negative for zonal marking because it allows the attacker a running jump. However, with zonal marking, I think the players can deal with the second ball much better because they're not out of position because of marking an opponent. What I would say is the either set-up can be unlocked when you have players prone to lapses in concentration or bouts of recklessness.

For what it's worth, I'd also put a man on each post and tell (nay, demand) them not to stray under any circumstances until the danger is properly cleared. If my team possesses a player adept at launching a quick counter either by running with or distributing the ball, I'd place him in the D. I'd also have another player (a pacey player, ideally a striker) 30-35 yards out, to prevent the opposition bringing too many men forward, and to give our players a target when clearing upfield.

Think this is pretty much spot on, I agree that zonal marking requires more organisation than man-marking and that can mean it falls apart in a rather embarrasing manner at times (not that man-marking doesn't have similar flaws.)

However, I think one thing man-marking has in its favour is that no one has anywhere to hide. With a zonal system you can argue the toss about someone not being in your zone, or they just moved through the edge of your zone etc, etc. With man-marking it's clear who needs a right good rollicking because they allowed someone a free header.

Think this is pretty much spot on, I agree that zonal marking requires more organisation than man-marking and that can mean it falls apart in a rather embarrasing manner at times (not that man-marking doesn't have similar flaws.)

However, I think one thing man-marking has in its favour is that no one has anywhere to hide. With a zonal system you can argue the toss about someone not being in your zone, or they just moved through the edge of your zone etc, etc. With man-marking it's clear who needs a right good rollicking because they allowed someone a free header.

It's funny because Benitez said the complete opposite. He liked Zonal because accountability is clear. Never quite got my head completely around it, but I don't doubt he's right.

GC= goals conceded

CS= clean sheets

2009-10 : 35 GC - 17 CS

2008-09 : 27 GC - 20 CS

2007-08 : 28 GC - 18 CS

2006-07 : 27 GC - 20 CS

2005-06 : 25 GC - 22 CS

So far this season:

31 goals conceded in only 22 games

6 clean sheets

Man marking proponents can fuck off as far as I am concerned. They haven't got a leg to stand on