You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Six months worth of Hodgson's quotes

The Special One

Guest davelfc
Do we have a press officer?

I thought that at first but unless they also had a gag and some powerful sleeping drugs what can they do?

The man opens his mouth and crap comes out. He fails to engage his brain before he speaks, something he's completely failed to learn in his 35 years. A chav lottery winner could handle a press conference better.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that at first but unless they also had a gag and some powerful sleeping drugs what can they do?

The man opens his mouth and crap comes out. He fails to engage his brain before he speaks, something he's completely failed to learn in his 35 years. A chav lottery winner could handle a press conference better.

Sometimes I think about the things he says and how stupid they are and I think how the fuck could he be any use whatsoever as a manager.

I mean he seems so stupid at times, theres no way he could have the intelligence to be a succesful manager.

" Unbelievable,” said the Liverpool manager, when asked whether his approach could be applied on Merseyside as effectively as it was in west London. “How many clubs have I had in 35 years? What do you mean, do my methods translate? They translated from Halmstads to Malmo to Orebro to Neuchâtel Xamax to the Swiss national team.

“The question is quite frankly insulting, I suppose. That question is suggesting something. To suggest that suddenly because you move from one club to another, the methods that have stood you in good stead for 35 years and made you one of the most respected coaches in the Europe suddenly do not work. I find it very, very hard to believe that someone has even asked me that question.”

Roy Hodgson launches strident defence of his start to life as Liverpool manager - Telegraph

Concerning the poor start to the current campaign, he added: "Like everyone else I get really immersed in the subject. I start looking through the eye of the microscope at the miniscule particles of dust, trying to see if there is an atom there. Maybe it is just a bit of dust."

It Would Be A Sad Day For Football If Liverpool Sack Me - Roy Hodgson - Goal.com

" Agger missed two weeks with the injury he picked up in the Sunderland game but he made a miraculous recovery in order to go and play for Denmark "

Daniel Agger and Roy Hodgson on Liverpool FC collision course > Liverpool FC > Sport | Click Liverpool

“To get a result here - against Everton - would have been Utopia,” said the Liverpool manager. “But I can only analyse the performance. There is no point trying to analyse dreams.”

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson digs deep for positives following derby defeat to Everton - Telegraph

"He did well but the fact is he came on in extra-time and people were tiring. We think Jonjo Shelvey is a player with a bright future, but I have to say I am not in the mood for talking about positives "

Roy's view on cup defeat - Liverpool FC

" The protest does not help but it is something I have had to live with since I came to the club "

" it is often the case that when things are conspiring against you there is always an extra thing to come in and make it that little bit worse "

Roy Hodgson: protests against Liverpool owners do not help the team | Football | The Guardian

“We didn’t score goals and Everton did but I refuse to accept that we were in any way outplayed or any way inferior. I watched the performance and the second half was as good as I saw a Liverpool team play under my management that is for sure.”

Liverpool display was best so far says Roy Hodgson despite Everton win | Football | The Guardian

"For me, it was a very simple decision when I heard he - poulsen - might be available at what we considered to be a very reasonable price. "

"We need as many good players as we can get and if you let these opportunities pass you by, sometimes you can regret it.

Boss: An easy decision - Liverpool FC

on Northampton " They'll be a formidable challenge - there's no question about that. "

Roy: Show us you are LFC class - Liverpool FC

on Dalla Valle " I didn't have a strong opinion on him one way or another but Malcolm Elias (from Fulham's academy) did. The lad's got the quality to go into a first-team contingent."

Boss hopeful on Konchesky - Liverpool FC

"You look around you and realise you have given all the quality players time off to prepare for the game on Saturday and you would like desperately to bring on maybe one of those players - that is one of the things that has affected my thinking

Liverpool manager Roy Hodgson says Steven Gerrard is not injured but is being rested for the Euro tie with Utrecht - News - MirrorFootball.co.uk

" We deserved our point "

BBC Sport - Football - Saturday football as it happened

" we don't play with wingers "

Roy reacts to Utrecht draw - Liverpool FC

"At the end of May I was having a fantastic moment and here at the beginning of October I'm having bad moments. But I don't think I have suddenly changed or lost any ability which has served me so well in 35 years of coaching."

Hodgson: I've not lost ability to coach overnight - Premier League, Football - The Independent

Asked if he was concerned with Liverpool's away form, the manager replied: "Give me a chance to bugger it up myself first! "

Liverpool's Roy Hodgson expects strong showing from Manchester City | Football | The Guardian

"I have watched it again. Fernando Torres made a meal of it," the United manager told reporters. "An absolute meal of it. There is no doubt he tried to get the player sent off."

Ferguson's incendiary remarks were in sharp contrast to the measured response of his Liverpool counterpart.

"I prefer to talk about the game and talk about issues that interest me," declared Roy Hodgson. "Mr Ferguson is entitled to any opinion he wants to have but I'm not going to come here and say I agree or disagree.

Football365 | All The News | Football News | FERGUSON ACCUSES TORRES OF CHEATING

" Jamie Carragher was bombing down there like Carlos Alberto of old "

You what, Roy? Liverpool manager Hodgson compares braveheart Jamie Carragher to Brazil great Carlos Alberto | Mail Online

"To Blackburn's honour, Jack Walker wanted me to resign, he wanted to still pay for the rest of my contract. He said, 'Why don't you resign? You've had enough, it's not working out.' I refused to do that, arrogant of course as I was in those days.

"I thought if they stuck with me I'd save them from relegation. I do think that the players were very much still with me, so I couldn't resign because that would be a suggestion that in some way I was doing something or something was happening which I didn't see to be the case or the truth. I gave him no choice but to sack me, so they behaved very honourably in that way. I did take it very hard, but that's a personal thing."

Premier League: Fulham manager Roy Hodgson harbours no ill-feeling towards Blackburn | Football | guardian.co.uk

" I saw the statistics the other day from the Everton game and I've never in my Premier League career seen statistics as positive as they were in terms of passing, accuracy and tempo of passing, number of shots and crosses "

Football | Barclays Premier League | Hodgson: We are on the right track | ESPNSTAR.com

“We were unbelievably overstaffed when I came to the club and, if the truth be known, we still are overstaffed,”

Liverpool's Hodgson Says Club `Overstaffed,' Mirror Says: Soccer Roundup - Bloomberg

" to be honest it would have been unfortunate for them if we'd won the game tonight "

Roy reacts to Utrecht draw - Liverpool FC

" I understand Rijkaard has just been sacked from Galatasaray - he must be a great manager to have been sacked by Galatasaray "

Sky Sports | Football | News | Roy reacts to Rijkaard rumours

" I don't want to be taking people's leftovers. We've got those types of players ourselves "

Liverpool owner says Fernando Torres and José Reina are going nowhere | Football | The Guardian

" I was disappointed - and I've told him this - that he - Dalglish - applied for the job in the summer because I don't think that was ever really going to happen for him."

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson: Kenny Dalglish is no threat - ESPN Soccernet

on Johnson " Perhaps you should ask him, "Do you think you are playing at the top of your form? Do you think you are really performing like the best right back in the country when you play for your club?" If the answer is "yes", then we will have to agree to differ. If it is "no", you could ask him why not "

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson not impressed with defender Glen Johnson | Mail Online

on Meireles " I'm not really hopeful on that (filling the void left by Gerrard) "

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson rues Steven Gerrard absence - ESPN Soccernet

" Our fitness coach, Darren, in his naivety and frustration, was foolish enough to voice an opinion on Twitter "

Gerrard asks Hodgson to stop the England injury furore - Premier League, Football - The Independent

"I am not getting into the fans. If I am to be frank, the way you have been writing has made my position a lot worse than the fans," Hodgson said. "You can take that as you want. Every time I speak to you about fans, you seem to have a complete monopoly on how every fan thinks. How many of them? There will always be a certain number of people who wanted a different manager and are probably still unhappy they did not get that manager.

Roy Hodgson has refused to stir up Steven Gerrard row | Football | The Guardian

'There are two games this year which have done us untold damage,' he said. 'The first was when a total reserve team - although it does not seem to have been noticed we had 14 first-team players who didn't play - lost to Northampton in the Carling Cup.

'The other was the disastrous (2-1) defeat to Blackpool at the end of a three-match week when we played in Europe.

'Those two defeats were costly for us because they encouraged people to make bold conclusions but we've lost one defeat in eight (in all competitions).

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson blasts critics: You wrote us off far too early this season | Mail Online

'Don't ask me what a good season is because I don't know "

Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson blasts critics: You wrote us off far too early this season | Mail Online

before Tottenham match “We’ve had a very good run now and one defeat in eight is a good run at any stage of the season,” Hodgson said.

“We have to be happy with that but we are not stupid. We know that if you go to Tottenham it could be two defeats in nine but if we play like we did against West Ham we can make sure Tottenham don’t have a cake-walk.

“And if we can keep Fernando Torres and David Ngog firing we may spring a surprise.

“Wins are hard to come by against the top teams and we have got to admit that Tottenham are no longer the Tottenham of old.

“They are a top team and have recently beaten the European champions in the Champions League. It is an expensively assembled team and we are not playing against mugs anymore.”

Liverpool FC strikers key to capital mission, says Roy Hodgson - News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo

“I’m afraid in this league away victories are hard to come by.

“I believe if we continue to play the way we did against West Ham we may get one or two

Liverpool FC strikers key to capital mission, says Roy Hodgson - News - Liverpool FC - Liverpool Echo

on away form "I've had several bad experiences," he said. "Even at Halmstad in the 70s, in the year we won our second championship, it took until the second half of the season to win our first game away and that broke a record going back two seasons. We went over two seasons without winning an away game, which is quite strange for a team that won the league in '76 and again in '79."

Liverpool's away-day flaws have Roy Hodgson struggling for a solution | Andy Hunter | Football | The Guardian

"The only team with better results than us over the past five or six games is Arsenal or Manchester United. If you take the last five or six games we are right up there in terms of results.

Roy: Our owners are right - Liverpool FC

" unless there is a major influx of players, whoever takes my place will be doing a similar job with similar players.

“I cannot do more than I am doing, I cannot work harder, I cannot work better

Liverpool v FC Utrecht: Roy Hodgson says more cash is best way to help struggling Anfield club - Telegraph

"He's - Gerrard - desperate to get back but with my recent history of saying things and then not getting them right,

"I think I should be extremely cagey and say I've got no idea if he'll be there or not, we'll wait and see, et cetera, et cetera.

"There'll be no more bold statements from me on any player at least for the foreseeable future."

Roy Hodgson tight-lipped over Steven Gerrard's Liverpool FC return > Liverpool FC > Sport | Click Liverpool

Chippy and defensive after the game, he ended his press conference in a sharp exchange with a journalist from Scandinavia who questioned the lack of supply to Torres.

'Are you from Denmark?' Hodgson asked (he considers the Danish press too negative).

'No, Norway,' replied the visitor. 'Ah, two countries I never want to work in again,' he said.

Who says Liverpool can't be relegated? | Mail Online

“Everyone I know in football respects the job I’m doing here and aren’t too surprised it hasn’t been an easy start. In fact, 95 per cent would have predicted it as [Jose] Mourinho did. ‘Liverpool will get worse and worse’ is what he said and if the great man Mourinho says it, I don’t know why you don’t quote him!”

Tottenham Hotspur v Liverpool: no old pals' act as Harry Redknapp and Roy Hodgson become foes for a day - Telegraph

How far we have fallen in a year.

From YNWA, compiled by Sion.

"I have come here to win, and my players have to have the same mentality."

"I am young, I want to win lots of matches and in the right way. I hope the players think like us that it is possible to win titles.

"I want the supporters to be proud of the team, of the manager, of the players, of the club."

Rafael Benitez

"Are people suggesting that we should be doing the same as Arsenal, who have had the same team together for the last six years and Chelsea, who have just won the league?

"If so I would accuse them of being unrealistic at this moment in time.

Roy Hodgson

--------------------------------------------------

"When you see the supporters and how the club works it is like a religion to them. We will try to do our best to bring more trophies back for them."

Rafa Benitez

"This is a new team, there are four or five new players. We finished seventh last season so I don't understand why it's suggested we should be comparing ourselves every day with Chelsea or Manchester United at this early stage of the season.

"It will be nice if we can get there. We will see but I certainly don't make that demand upon the players."

Roy Hodgson

-----------------------

When they start talking and talking about us, it shows they are worried about playing Liverpool,"

Rafa Benitez

"Northampton are a formidable opponent"

Roy Hodgson

-----------------------

"No, I'm not thinking about a draw. We're going out to win."

Rafa Benitez

"It was a good point because we knew it was going to be a tough game. (Referring to a draw against a mid-table Dutch side)

Roy Hodgson

-------------------------

Never call me the special one!"

Rafa Benitez

"To suggest that, because I have moved from one club to another, that the methods which have stood me in good stead for 35 years and made me one of the most respected coaches in Europe don't suddenly work is very hard to believe.

Roy Hodgson

---------------------

"To work hard and have our supporters behind us and believing until the end, you run a little bit more."

Rafa Benitez

"The protest does not help but it is something I have had to live with since I came to the club,"

Roy Hodgson

--------------------

"I have a lot of confidence in the team, maybe Milan are favourites -- they have a lot of good players -- but we have confidence and we can win." (Referring to one of the best teams in the world at the time)

Rafa Benitez

To get a result here would have been Utopia (Referring to Everton)

Roy Hodgson

----------------------

I picked the team which I felt was right for the game and I have no regrets about that. In the first half Burnley were better than us but in the second half we were better. The bad thing is we conceded a poor goal and it was then always going to be difficult for us to score on a bad pitch against a team that was fighting for everything.

Rafa Benitez - refuses to blame youngsters after Burnley loss

"These players have to accept responsibility. I accept responsibility for changing a lot of players in the team, I did it because I honestly thought the players I put on the field were good enough to win the game and they weren't.

Roy Hodgson - lays into youngsters after Northampton loss

Sorry if this comes across as playing devils' advocate but...

Personally, when speaking in real time (as opposed to thinking first and then typing stuff out on a keyboard) I have a habit of mixing my words under pressure and often saying things I didn't quite mean to say but they just come out in a way that sounds inappropriate, I'm a nervous speaker.

From personal experience, some of what Roy says smacks a bit of meaning to say one thing but then coming out with another. Don't get me wrong, there's some unforgiveable shit in there like the Slur Alex wine quote (was that in the OP? If not it should have been).

However this doesn't make him a cunt. What it does make him, is incompetent for the role. Just like I would personally never apply for any man-management or PR role, because I know I would be massively shit at it. If anything could be levelled at Roy (apart from not being good enough) is his unjustified self-belief. Self-belief coupled with genuine ability is a great thing. Self-belief without ability just ends up as arrogance.

Where's the one about him 'jokingly' pleading with Ferguson to forgive him for joining Liverpool? That's the worst of the lot.

New Liverpool boss Roy Hodgson hopes that his mate Sir Alex Ferguson will forgive him for taking up rival position - Premier League - MirrorFootball.co.uk

“I know Sir Alex is not really a Liverpool man,” said *Hodgson, “so I’m a bit *concerned about my excellent relationship with him.

“I sincerely hope he forgives me for moving north and hopefully we can have a glass of wine together, maybe in secret.

“I hope that’s how he is going to see it – but he is one of the people I intend to ring to find out.

I think that's spot on. I've been saying, since he first started talking, that the club should have been onto this and providing advice. I'm amazed that they haven't. It should have started with vetting that initial article in which he was banging on about calling Alex ferguson and asking for forgiveness for tking the job. I think the club have culpability here as well.

It's bizarre because apparently we brought into a new head of press after all the shit-stirring last year. Massive fail on his part whoever he is.

To be fair to the press office - telling the manager what he can or should be saying would be a very dangerous game for them to play. In terms of power at the club the manager is in a much stronger position so they can't really risk getting on the wrong side of him. You can imagine how it would go if someone tried to give him some guidance:

"Frankly I am insulted by your suggestion blah, blah, blah, my relationship with the press is excellent - I am personal friends with Patrick Barclay, Oliver Holt etc etc, my methods of dealing with the media over 35 years has helped establish me as one of the most respected managers in Europe...and as for the fans you only have to ask the Swiss fans or the Fulham fans what they think of me to see how well I connect with the fans."

To be fair to the press office - telling the manager what he can or should be saying would be a very dangerous game for them to play. In terms of power at the club the manager is in a much stronger position so they can't really risk getting on the wrong side of him. You can imagine how it would go if someone tried to give him some guidance:

"Frankly I am insulted by your suggestion blah, blah, blah, my relationship with the press is excellent - I am personal friends with Patrick Barclay, Oliver Holt etc etc, my methods of dealing with the media over 35 years has helped establish me as one of the most respected managers in Europe...and as for the fans you only have to ask the Swiss fans or the Fulham fans what they think of me to see how well I connect with the fans."

Hodgson reports to someone. That someone would be the originator of the request to improve in this field (and approving the ways of doing it), just as would be the case in any other field.