You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Michael Owen

hunts_kopite

I am going down to Wembley on Thursday to help my best mates boys team in a Mac D's sponsored football festival. Geoff Hurst and Michael Owen are going to be there to greet and chat to everyone.

I'm not quite sure how I feel about seeing Owen. I am 26 so grew up watching Owen and he has created so many great memories for me (2001 FA Cup Final being one of the highlights). He was a hero to me growing up so it was heart breaking seeing him sign for the scum so that and the way he left the club just leaves a bitter taste in my mouth.

Depending on how much access we get to Hurst and Owen, I am stuck between thanking him for some great memories but then giving him some stick about joining the scum or avoiding talking to him all together and just chatting to Geoff Hurst.

It would be interesting to see how others would feel in the same situation.

Guest davelfc

He's a little manc fuck stick now. I'd ignore him.

Ask Geoff how he feels about being his name now being used to describe wanting a piss. Could be worse I suppose you could be meeting James Hunt.

You probably won't have that much access to him. That or all questions will be screened.

I held a Q&A with Gareth Barry last year just after he signed for City but had to submit all questions to the FA (it was an England event) and his agent the week before. Even on the day I had a rep sitting right next to me with my list of approved questions making sure I didn't ask anything not on there.

Somehow 'What does it take to become a professional footballer?' doesn't hurt as much as 'Why are you a greedy cunt?', which seemed to be a relevant question at the time.

Guest davelfc

If you really do have to speak to him then please tell him if his mobile rings and it's Roy Hodgson, that he can ignore it.

Then as already suggested spit in his face.

I don't understand the hate for Michael Owen. He served us incredibly well and had always said that he had wanted to play abroad at some point in his career. Maybe if more England players followed in similar footsteps they might just improve on the international stage.

He wanted to come back to Liverpool twice I believe but on both occasions we didn't want him or couldn't afford him so can you really blame him for joining Man United? Possibly his last chance at seriously competing for trophies.

Sure, I love players like Jamie Carragher who seemingly bleed Liverpool FC but I don't hate Michael Owen for wanting to try his luck at something different. As much as I love Liverpool FC if I was a professional footballer and was given the opportunity to play for top clubs in Italy and Spain I'm not sure I'd be able to say no either. There's a whole host of reasons one could give like the chance to experience new cultures, learn different styles of play, etc.

I don't understand the hate for Michael Owen. He served us incredibly well and had always said that he had wanted to play abroad at some point in his career. Maybe if more England players followed in similar footsteps they might just improve on the international stage.

He wanted to come back to Liverpool twice I believe but on both occasions we didn't want him or couldn't afford him so can you really blame him for joining Man United? Possibly his last chance at seriously competing for trophies.

Sure, I love players like Jamie Carragher who seemingly bleed Liverpool FC but I don't hate Michael Owen for wanting to try his luck at something different. As much as I love Liverpool FC if I was a professional footballer and was given the opportunity to play for top clubs in Italy and Spain I'm not sure I'd be able to say no either. There's a whole host of reasons one could give like the chance to experience new cultures, learn different styles of play, etc.

I don't think many would really begrudge him moving away to Madrid it's just the manner in which he did it, running down his contract so that we didn't get a penny instead pocketing a huge signing on fee for himself.

Yes he served us well over his time here and thats why he was such a hero to me but leaving the club in that manner certainly wasn't serving the club well at all and I understand what you say about playing for big clubs but going to the scum is something else entirely.

I don't understand the hate for Michael Owen...

1. Ran down his contract so we got screwed by Real

2. Turned down the chance to come back because Newcastle offered him more money

3. Words to the effect of "I always dreamed that Sir Twat would come riding in and whisk me away"

If we all lived in the world you live in football would be a boring sport consigned to the dustbin. We hate him because he is one of our ex players who has decided to play for our hated rivals. We dont need to rationalise it, we dont need to explain ourselves, its the way football is. If anyone steps over to the dark side then they are wiped from the history. Its how rivalry works and football without rivalry will be dead. So, long may it continue and long may our hatred continue.

Why don't you bring a ouija board with you and, before asking your question, slap him round his disgusting little head with it and tell him that, seeing as he is now considered DEAD to every Liverpool supporter, you are using it to communicate with him.

You can then ask him the following questions:

"How does it feel to be despised by Liverpool for going to United, by United for being an ex-scouser, by Everton for supporting them as a boy and then playing for us, by City for playing for United, by Newcastle for wasting their time and money and by every team in Spain by Real because you played for Franco's fascists?"

"What does Sir Alex taste like?"

"Do you want the number of Colin McCrae's helicopter engineer?"

If we all lived in the world you live in football would be a boring sport consigned to the dustbin. We hate him because he is one of our ex players who has decided to play for our hated rivals. We dont need to rationalise it, we dont need to explain ourselves, its the way football is. If anyone steps over to the dark side then they are wiped from the history. Its how rivalry works and football without rivalry will be dead. So, long may it continue and long may our hatred continue.

But this is different. He didn't join Man United from Liverpool. He joined from Newcastle United and seemingly only because Liverpool didn't want him.

Maybe it's because I don't consider him to be half the player he used to be and although I do find it strange seeing him in a Man United kit I don't hate him for it. Fans tend to hate players that aren't loyal which is unfair I think. Sure appreciate those that are but don't necessarily hate those that aren't. I'll never boo him. I'd much rather thank him for all the wonderful memories.

But this is different. He didn't join Man United from Liverpool. He joined from Newcastle United and seemingly only because Liverpool didn't want him.

Maybe it's because I don't consider him to be half the player he used to be and although I do find it strange seeing him in a Man United kit I don't hate him for it. Fans tend to hate players that aren't loyal which is unfair I think. Sure appreciate those that are but don't necessarily hate those that aren't. I'll never boo him. I'd much rather thank him for all the wonderful memories.

Dont care one bit how good he is/was, he plays for Manchester United, he is a Manchester United player. That for me is enough. What he did for us in the past is irrelevant for me. I'm not trying to bring anyone round to my way of thinking or anything like, but some people will share this way of thinking as others will share your way of thinking.

Its football, it splits opinions.

Trying to find a logical way for the way we think will send you mad. Some will hate, some will remember the good times thats the way it is. Get on with it and stop analysing it or trying to make the world love him again.

Personally, my thoughts on this aren't down to the fact he signed for the vermin. He had a choice between them, Hull and Stoke. I think I would have done the same thing. I can understand the hatred based on that alone, but that's not why I've come to despise him.

My reasons are far more hurtful. He went racing to MUTV to tell the world what a "wonderful club" the vermin are, and how he's "always wanted to play for Sir Alex."

He's then fanned the flames before both matches with us last season. He said how he looks out for Real Madrid and Newcastle's results, but expressly not Liverpool's. Unsurprisingly enough, he missed the second game at Old Toilet through injury, but had a smug CUNT of a grin over his face at half time talking about Webb's awful penalty award against Mascherano and then he went on at full time with a huge grin as well. CUNT.

That's why I hate Owen. He stabbed me in the heart when he signed for them, as he was one of my favourite players for the best part of a decade, but he then proceeded the twist the knife with a string of comments. Treacherous little RAT.