You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Roy Hodgson From the Offal:

Their advice is to not use these players. If we have enough players to put a team out without them is another question.

"Things can happen before the 29th of July, we will not be speculating on that and there is no point in me making predictions of what the team will be like for that game.

"The sports science people are advising me not to use the players from the World Cup.

"Therefore new signings would become important for the Europa Cup."

Suggests we will be trying to do our dealing over the next two weeks. Seems a strange comment to make as it frustrates your negotitaion position. So I would speculate a few deals already agreed in principle.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The full story:

Roy Hodgson believes Liverpool's Europa League qualifying campaign will present any new signings with the perfect opportunity to make an instant impact at Anfield.

Video: Hodgson speaks to .tv>>The Reds will contest a third qualifying round tie against either Macedonian side Rabotnicki or Armenian outfit Mika, with the first leg scheduled for July 29.

Hodgson has confirmed players who figured in the World Cup are unlikely to feature in the tie as they are allowed extra time to recover from their South Africa exertions - meaning any new arrivals at the club could be handed an instant chance to shine.

"Possibly none of our World Cup players will play in the early Europa Cup games if we listen to the advice of the sports science people," said the boss.

"They are telling me we would be very foolhardy to use players who have only been training for three or four days on the back of the World Cup that early on because that will affect us further on down the road.

"If we feel we are endangering our chances of doing well in the Premier League by risking players in the early stage of the Europa League, it will be a decision the club will have to take. You have to follow the guidance.

"Their advice is to not use these players. If we have enough players to put a team out without them is another question.

"Things can happen before the 29th of July, we will not be speculating on that and there is no point in me making predictions of what the team will be like for that game.

"The sports science people are advising me not to use the players from the World Cup.

"Therefore new signings would become important for the Europa Cup."

He's an incredibly honest fella isn't he?

Well Roy is hardly going to sell Insua without having a few irons in the fire. Truth being all this idle gossip,back paper headlines and speculation is that absolutely none of us know what is going on behind the scenes, there are so many morrors and smokescreens that real targets are almost impossible to predict, sit back,relax and let it unfold. I have faith in him and he seems such a straight forward and honest bloke so i'm not worrying, sure fuck all we can do about it anyways

The full story:

I have really taken to him mate. I find his interviews refreshing whilst at the same time there is a side of him that can turn and show his steel, especially when on LFC.TV he was kept being asked about mascherano's quotes in a press interview yesterday and he straightly said i havent seen those comments so therefore i do not understand them in a strong tone. He is definitely not the walk over some people assumed rather too easily.

"The sports science people are telling me we would be foolhardy to use players who have been training for only three or four days on the back of the World Cup that early on because it will affect us further on down the road.

"If we feel we are endangering our chances in the Premier League, it will be a decision the club will have to take."

SSN

"The sports science people are telling me we would be foolhardy to use players who have been training for only three or four days on the back of the World Cup that early on because it will affect us further on down the road.

"If we feel we are endangering our chances in the Premier League, it will be a decision the club will have to take."

SSN

Surely this means the players who played at the finals, the likes of Babel and Pepe who didnt play should be fine.

I have really taken to him mate. I find his interviews refreshing whilst at the same time there is a side of him that can turn and show his steel, especially when on LFC.TV he was kept being asked about mascherano's quotes in a press interview yesterday and he straightly said i havent seen those comments so therefore i do not understand them in a strong tone. He is definitely not the walk over some people assumed rather too easily.

I love it how I can't wait to hear what our manager says, I honestly stopped reading or listening to Rafa, as he would just churn out the same answers.

Please don't risk important players for the Channel 5 Cup qualifiers.

When a club regularly finishes top or second, it can sneer at such competitions. We can't. And you can't throw away all games except the ones in the league. It doesn't work that way. So let's get on with it.

I'd start strong, win the game well and take off the stars after an hour perhaps. Works well for me on football manager!

Didn't you learn from that FA Cup tie when Reading beat us? We lost both Torres and Gerrard very early in that game, lost anyway and lost key players for the far more important league run-in for fourth place. Having a fit Torres and Gerrard could have meant we beat both Arsenal and City in February... meaning we lost vital points.

Who's our opening two games of the season? Arsenal and City, please don't risk key players for a qualifying game against Rabotniki or Mika.

The full story:

He also appears not to take any shit for journo's either.

He was asked about Mascherano and the person asking him the question quoted a newspaper article.

Straight away Hodgson pulled him up asking what quotes these were then and more or less made it clear they were a load of bollocks.

So far been impressed with Hodgson's handling of the media.

Surely this means the players who played at the finals, the likes of Babel and Pepe who didnt play should be fine.

No, they still train and prepare even if they did not get minutes. There is a consensus that all sportsmen need a break physically where they can let their bodies recover for the upcoming season.

I love it how I can't wait to hear what our manager says, I honestly stopped reading or listening to Rafa, as he would just churn out the same answers.

I agree with you on that mate. I have fond memories of Rafa and liked him as a man but especially the last year of his reign his conferences worried as to whether he was gonna me made to look mad by the comments he made and moans he would come out with. Listening to Roy has only made me realise this. I think the press seem to respect him as well.

I agree with you on that mate. I have fond memories of Rafa and liked him as a man but especially the last year of his reign his conferences worried as to whether he was gonna me made to look mad by the comments he made and moans he would come out with. Listening to Roy has only made me realise this. I think the press seem to respect him as well.

Ahhhh well, as long as the press respect him.......