You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

There is no ambiguity in the interview, or licence of interpretation. The man is an ignorant buffoon, clearly at home in the frankensteinesque bunch of freaks that call themselves the Coalition.

Quite apart from being wrong over Hillsborough, he is clearly deluded if he thinks that hooliganism is "behind us" - a trip to South Africa is an option not really available to the hardcore football thug - if it had been in Portugal then I would imagine that we may have seen a different outcome. As the the Tory Dems are cutting 25000 police, then it is probably in their interests to think that the problem doesn't exist anymore. As we are heading back to the 1980s in every other aspect, then it wouldn't surprise me if the ICF make a comeback in the next few years.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The fuck?

I never "go missing" from anything, it's just that I do have a life outside the Internet and, regrettably, being a virtual punchbag for over-sensitive keyboard warriors wasn't high on my to-do-list tonight.

I defend anyone who I think is getting a rough deal, whoever they are. The last thing I'd do is play party politics with this, unlike the various Twittering Labour MPs who just can't stop themselves getting a dig in.

I still believe it's fair to interpret the sentence "Not a single arrest for a football-related offence, and the terrible problems that we had in Heysel and Hillsborough in the 1980s seem now to be behind us" as referring to two distinct things.

It's like if I said about my house: "No more mice in the cellar, and the terrible problems I had with dry rot are just a distant memory". Wouldn't it require a somewhat creative mind to interpret that as me implying that the mice were responsible for the dry rot? But that sentence is structured exactly the same way as what Hunt said.

Admittedly this does require people to have a working grasp of the English language, something sadly lacking in people who can't even spell strontium correctly in their shithouse tags even when it's written right there on the screen for them.

Course not sunshine, you wouldn't ever want to waste a minute of your pretend governments money would you?

Is there people in power with such little common sense and respect for the familys of Hillsborough ?

Why do people do shit like this its totally uncalled for.

Once agian a brainless prick with too little facts and to much mouth makes a complete arse of him self and upsets people who frankly have been through enough.

Course not sunshine, you wouldn't ever want to waste a minute of your pretend governments money would you?

I've said it before, but you're just too cryptic for me! If your goal is to bamboozle and confuse me, then you succeed every time, because I have NFI what you're trying to imply.

Strontium Dog, question.

If you genuinely believe that when referring to Hillsborough Hunt was alluding to disasters that have occurred in English football, as opposed to events which he, albeit mistakenly, believed to be caused by hooliganism, why then did he not make any reference to the disaster at Valley Parade - if applying the thought pattern which you claim he was acting under, surely he should have mentioned Valley Parade to as that was another disaster from English footballs past?

I've said it before, but you're just too cryptic for me! If your goal is to bamboozle and confuse me, then you succeed every time, because I have NFI what you're trying to imply.

I'll put it simply then.

Every time you get your arse handed to you on a plate you disappear.

Simples.

Who'd have thought it eh, the Conservatives getting into power and then immediately displaying a crass contempt for the people they claim to represent?

Jeremy Hunt – and let’s face it, you should never trust a politician called Jeremy – showed not just ignorance, incompetence, disregard and disrespect in his comments about the Hillsborough tragedy this week.

He showed the real, sinister thinking that he and his cocktail party chums retain behind their slick, smug smiles and soundbites. And what he revealed should send a cold shiver down the spine of every sports fan in Britain.

Hunt is the Charterhouse public school educated Minister for Culture, Media and Sport, who outrageously claimed, in an interview ostensibly about England’s departure from the World Cup, that the 96 lives lost at Hillsborough were the result of ‘hooliganism’.

Those comments are not just wildly, ridiculously wrong, not just outrageously offensive and demeaning to the memory of the people who died. They are potentially deadly, because the thinking behind those comments places every single sports fan at risk.

What Hunt revealed with his comments is not just that he is unqualified to be the minister for sport – which his disgusting ignorance clearly illustrates - he also showed that he and his chums still see sports fans as violent, low-life hooligans who are solely to blame for their own problems.

It is the mentality of the Conservative Party under Thatcher, the mentality that condemns a huge section of our society to become an under-class, scorned and vilified by the ruling elite.

At Hillsborough, 96 people died because of the criminal actions of the police. That is not conjecture, it is fact. Yet no one has ever been brought to justice over the tragic loss of life.

Why? Because the Tory party believed at the time that the institutions couldn’t possibly be to blame. They believed it was caused by hooligans. By scum.

They tried to pin it on the fans. Thatcher’s press secretary Bernard Ingram tried to spin it as the work of a “tanked up mob” and tried to solicit the help of his tame media chums at The Sun.

The police tried to discredit supporters with made up stories and altered statements, falsified documents along with outrageous slurs. They tried to hide the truth. But it still came out.

Then they tried to cover it up in a morass of paperwork which was conveniently lost. They tried to drag it out so long that people forgot. They did everything to ensure that the truth wouldn’t be revealed and the real culprits wouldn’t be brought to justice.

And now, we find in the words of Hunt, that they still believe it. Deep down, they still see the innocent loss of life as the fault of the people who died. And they see all people who attend football matches as being hooligans who deserve what they get.

He tried to back-track of course, but it can’t hide his true feelings. The sinister belief that sports fans are yobs who don’t deserve justice. Who don’t deserve the protection of law and the rights of the individual.

It is as though Thatcher is still here and still showing contempt to every single one of us. And that is why every single football fan, every single sports fan, must fear the words of Hunt.

They suggest another tragedy at a sports stadium could happen again. All the time justice for the 96 is ignored, all the time the criminals who hide beneath police uniforms who cost all those lives are not brought to court, it could happen again.

All the time the people in power hide behind their obscene belief that sports fans are an underclass who don’t have any rights, there is a chance it could happen again. Hunt is a man with beliefs that could allow it to happen again.

He should resign. Right now. Instead, we are told he has the “full confidence” of David Cameron, the equally smug Tory leader. So this conspiracy still goes right to the top.

If Cameron has any empathy for the people – and remember, millions and millions of us attend sports events – then he should sack Hunt and immediately announce the start of proceedings to provide justice for the 96 people who died at Hillsborough. He won’t though, because the mentality of Thatcher still clearly lurks within the Tory party elite.

Why Jeremy Hunt's ignorant comments about the Liverpool fans involved in the Hillsborough tragedy should send a cold shiver down the spine of every sports fan in Britain - David Maddock column - David Maddock - MirrorFootball.co.uk

Good article that.

Examples? Of (a) my arse being handed to me and (b) me disappearing.

I am unable to recall instances of either.

Had you even watched the interview before defending the tory wanker?

The guy was talking about hooliganism and bad behaviour of fans, he spoke of previous problems and used Hysel and Hillsborough as examples.

You were and are, talking bollocks.

Still think your fake libs will be in power for a generation?

Examples? Of (a) my arse being handed to me and (b) me disappearing.

I am unable to recall instances of either.

no you prefer to just not answer questions and disappear intead. over the last couple of day's you have done this very thing to myself and a number of other posters. seemingly choosing to answer only those questions posed to you that you deem worthy of gracing the questioner an answer. Then acting as if they should be grateful that they got any kind of answer from you at all. Seems to me to be quite a superior than thou attitude more becoming of anyone but a liberal.

Still tis only my own opinion.

no you prefer to just not answer questions and disappear intead. over the last couple of day's you have done this very thing to myself and a number of other posters. seemingly choosing to answer only those questions posed to you that you deem worthy of gracing the questioner an answer. Then acting as if they should be grateful that they got any kind of answer from you at all. Seems to me to be quite a superior than thou attitude more becoming of anyone but a liberal.

Still tis only my own opinion.

Show me a question I've missed and I'll answer it. I never dodge questions, why would I? But if I get 3 or 4 questions which are basically the same, I reserve the right to just respond to one of them, to save repetition.

Had you even watched the interview before defending the tory wanker?

The guy was talking about hooliganism and bad behaviour of fans, he spoke of previous problems and used Hysel and Hillsborough as examples.

You were and are, talking bollocks.

Who needs to watch the interview, the printed version contains the same words you know.

Still think your fake libs will be in power for a generation?

Not sure what relevance that has to the topic.

Who needs to watch the interview, the printed version contains the same words you know.

Not sure what relevance that has to the topic.

So you hadn't. Thanks.

A live interview nevers tells more than a written article does it? You still want to argue there is ambiguity in what he said?

Relevence? You were talking bollocks, it was pointed out to you and you disappeared. It has every relevance to you having your arse handed to you and you disappearing.

Show me a question I've missed and I'll answer it. I never dodge questions, why would I? But if I get 3 or 4 questions which are basically the same, I reserve the right to just respond to one of them, to save repetition.

The first one that comes to mind, is during the England Germany match thread you sais Germany and Argentina cheating their way to another World Cup. I asked you how had Germany Cheated? you neglected to answer despite 2 reepated pressings on my part.

However I'll accept that you were perhaps not in the right frame of mind during that game, you've made a fair enough point above as far as I'm concerned i can appriciate the flack you get hurled your way (some unnecessary) would make you guarded about responding to all questions however you must see that in this situation you are backing a loser in your stance.

So you hadn't. Thanks.

I didn't say I hadn't, I said who needs to see the interview. Seeing the interview gives you no more context than reading it does.

A live interview nevers tells more than a written article does it? You still want to argue there is ambiguity in what he said?

Of course there's ambiguity in what he said, I even demonstrated exactly where the ambiguity was.

Relevence? You were talking bollocks, it was pointed out to you and you disappeared. It has every relevance to you having your arse handed to you and you disappearing.

You'll once again have to explain how I had my arse handed to me, then disappeared.

And like kaizer soze, he was gone.

I was watching the match you evil little fuck, I consider that more important than fuelling your prickish little vendetta against me.

The first one that comes to mind, is during the England Germany match thread you sais Germany and Argentina cheating their way to another World Cup. I asked you how had Germany Cheated? you neglected to answer despite 2 reepated pressings on my part.

However I'll accept that you were perhaps not in the right frame of mind during that game, you've made a fair enough point above as far as I'm concerned i can appriciate the flack you get hurled your way (some unnecessary) would make you guarded about responding to all questions however you must see that in this situation you are backing a loser in your stance.

Got it in one. Please take anything I wrote in that thread with a pinch of salt.

I think a more appropriate question(s) for Strontium Dog would be:

People on this forum and several other forums have expressed disappointment and disbelief at the clear association of Hillsborough with football hooliganism. This is also the case with the press, printed and televisual media alike. Members of Parliament have called for meetings and even a resignation. People associated to the Hillsborough campaign and the victims families have also raised their concerns at Hunt's association of hooliganism to Hillsborough.

Two questions to you, SD, stemming from the above undeniable points:

(a) So, are you in effect saying that all these people have entirely misinterpreted Hunt's statement and that you are amongst the very few who have interpreted what he said correctly?

and;

(b) Maybe it may be time to hold your hands up and admit that you are wrong on this one. Agreed?

I await your responses.

Two questions to you, SD, stemming from the above undeniable points:

(a) So, are you in effect saying that all these people have entirely misinterpreted Hunt's statement and that you are amongst the very few who have interpreted what he said correctly?

and;

(b) Maybe it may be time to hold your hands up and admit that you are wrong on this one. Agreed?

I await your responses.

I've already answered (a). I think what he said is open to interpretation. There's a chance I'm being overly generous to him.

Question (b) is moot because of (a), I don't think there is a "right" and "wrong" in this instance.

I've already answered (a). I think what he said is open to interpretation. There's a chance I'm being overly generous to him.

Question (b) is moot because of (a), I don't think there is a "right" and "wrong" in this instance.

Okay, but that response seems like you're weaseling your way out of the fact that you are wrong.

Pretty much all statements are open to some sort of interpretation. However, your interpretation of what Hunt said is entirely absurd, not overly generous. It's clear what he meant. Why would he come out and apologise if he didn't think he'd done anything wrong?

Question (b) is only moot because you've tried to make it so by sticking to your quite frankly absurd interpretation of what Hunt said.

I admire your indefatigability in defending your interpretation of what was said, but you'll be more of a man in my opinion if you fall on your sword and admit that it is clear what Hunt meant and that you are wrong to try to put a slant on it that doesn't exist.

However, I know I have a long wait for this as you come across as the type of character that if the majority of people were saying that Hunt didn't make a direct comparison between Hillsborough and hooliganism, you'd be arguing vehemently that he did.

However, if you want to trot out a version of events which, when looking at the situation subjectively and in sight of all the evidence, is clearly not true, to court controversy and bring attention to yourself, so be it. Strontium Dog, the Liverpool Way version of Kelvin MacKenzie.

Why would he come out and apologise if he didn't think he'd done anything wrong?

Because he knows what an over-sensitive, easy-to-take-offence bunch of people Scousers are, especially where Hillsborough and Tories are concerned.

I admire your indefatigability in defending your interpretation of what was said, but you'll be more of a man in my opinion if you fall on your sword and admit that it is clear what Hunt meant and that you are wrong to try to put a slant on it that doesn't exist.

It's absolutely not clear what he meant, indeed only he knows what he meant by what he said. The irony is that I'm the only one here not putting any fucking slant on it.

Strontium Dog, the Liverpool Way version of Kelvin MacKenzie.

Because I won't automatically assume the worst of someone and join in a media-led witch-hunt? That's bang out of order, especially over such an unbelievably trivial matter.