You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

New Zealand vs Paraguay

RedBrian84

Do the All Whites stand any chance here? They've certainly done themselves proud so far and to still be in with a chance at this stage is brilliant for them. I think, judging by the Italy game, that Chris Wood needs to start; he looked lively and almost got a brilliant strike in at the end. It's not many players in the world can say they dropped a shoulder and went clean past Cannavaro.

In all seriousness, it looks unlikely they'll progress, but it would be brilliant if they did. It's always ace when the underdogs go through in the World Cup.

I'm trying to have a heart and root for the underdog, but any team that plays a brand of football that would make Fat Sam blush just doesn't contribute much to the tournament. I know, I know, they're playing to their strenghts, but it's just boring.

Don't they need a win to go through?

Have a soft spot for them but think Paraguay will be too strong. I'd like to see Cardozo get off the bench for this one as he's in my fantasy team.

Yeah they need a win, but it looks like it'll be beyond them. They'll always have that result against the Italians to be proud of though; they threw fucking everything they had against Nelson and co at the back and they stood up well. And while on Nelson, he's played very well for them, it's good to have an experienced head at the back to calm the storm- look what we missed without Sami last year- and he's put in so many blocks and tackles.

I think Paraguay will do it, but not comfortably. 2-1.

I'm trying to have a heart and root for the underdog, but any team that plays a brand of football that would make Fat Sam blush just doesn't contribute much to the tournament. I know, I know, they're playing to their strenghts, but it's just boring.

Yeah I can see your point there definitely. It's just nice to see players genuinely proud to pull on their nation's colours, and fans who are there with proper love for the game. Not unlike the African nations fans in that respect. They know their own limits and they are just out there to have a ball and go back with brilliant memories. I love all that side of the World Cup.

Yeah me too. They've played fantastically well and deserve respect. The fact that it's New Zealand, for fucks sake, I was there for a month last year and I can't recall even seeing a football field. No one I hung out with even mentioned football.

I think it's pretty amazing that they 1) even bothered to try qualifying 2) qualified and 3) have held their own so far.

Hope they turn in another good performance.

Yeah I can see your point there definitely. It's just nice to see players genuinely proud to pull on their nation's colours, and fans who are there with proper love for the game. Not unlike the African nations fans in that respect. They know their own limits and they are just out there to have a ball and go back with brilliant memories. I love all that side of the World Cup.

I know, I know. But it's a lot easier to seem as though you're "proud of the shirt" and all that when your entire gameplan is to sit back for the entire game, chase the ball, work hard and send your CB's up for every set-piece. It comes across as "heroic", but only because it involves lots and lots of running and huffing and puffing. It's pretty different when you're going into every game knowing the whole country expects you to play great attacking football and entertain.

I know, I know. But it's a lot easier to seem as though you're "proud of the shirt" and all that when your entire gameplan is to sit back for the entire game, chase the ball, work hard and send your CB's up for every set-piece. It comes across as "heroic", but only because it involves lots and lots of running and huffing and puffing. It's pretty different when you're going into every game knowing the whole country expects you to play great attacking football and entertain.

Very true. I suppose that's why Dunga has come in for some flak from some quarters in Brazil because they don't play like Brazil used to and the teams of Carlos Alberto and Socrates etc are what the fans want to see. It isn't just winning that counts in places like that, it's winning in style as well.

We're not ranked something like 78th in the world for no good reason haha! We don't exactly have a team brimming with talented attacking players.

WELL DONE GUYS!!! Great result against Paraguay, and we remain undefeated at the World Cup 2010 Nearly sneaked it there in the last 3 minutes, but offside, and no 'touch'

This team will have inspired thousands of young Kiwis, and with Australia 'switching groups' to join Asia (they've left Oceania) we may qualify more easily from now on every 4 yrs.

The All Whites will be coming home to a hero's welcome.

That Chris Woods looks a fairly decent player, I think somebody already mentioned it but he looks a bit like Bendtner accept he can actually play a bit of football. Plays for West Brom at the moment and is only 17 so he has plenty of time to develop at a club who likes to try and play football.