You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do they pay £1000's of pounds to watch their kids? if they did then they would have every rite to but were not talking about sunday league teams who play for fun are we!! were talking about multi-millionaires who play(dont play depends on how you view last nite) for more money in 1 week than average people earn in 2 years the booing took place after the game not during so they backed their team all match and showed at the end they didnt like what they saw fair enough in my book

I run 2 kids football teams by the way i probably would have boo'd if i'd been there last nite But i wouldn't dream of booing my kids teams just using it to prove the differance in the money involved

Spending money on anything is purely discretional. To me that is not the issue, football is not like buying a car. What the players in the team that I support earn is not of interest to me. I support them the same as I support my son when he plays. I don't boo, it is very simple.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Spending money on anything is purely discretional. To me that is not the issue, football is not like buying a car. What the players in the team that I support earn is not of interest to me. I support them the same as I support my son when he plays. I don't boo, it is very simple.

The main issue surely is Rooney publically slagging them off for it.

Was he right to do so, in your opinion?

The main issue surely is Rooney publically slagging them off for it.

Was he right to do so, in your opinion?

In my opinion NO just my opinion though but i understand were people come from saying they souldnt boo but its all about opinions there is no right or wrong

If I have a nightmare of a day in work then I'd expect a fucking bollocking.

If I've spent a fortune following a team who can't string three passes together then I've earned the right to fucking boo.

They were shit, they got booed. Big fucking deal.

(Nice to see Gerrard finally showing last season's Liverpool form in an England shirt though.)

With England they fans "expect" , doesn't have to be thousands of miles away for English fans to boo their team in a bad performance, in saying that Rooney was embarrassing and should have left it to others to say it and it ain't cheap to get to South Africa, Now after being the Messiah last week apparently Capello is getting ostricised, predictable.

So its hard to say, fans and media pile the pressure on the English national team, English football looks ordinary when you take all the top foriegn talent out of it, i just feel that if there wasn't should a media circus and this thing "England Expects" and the lads were left to their own devices that they were performance to the levels they do every other week.

He shouldn't have said it but Rooney works hard and must have been very frustrated with his own, and the teams, performance. It was said in the heat of the moment and was fired from his competitive spirit which is what makes him the player he is.

He should apologise but it's no real big deal and most people will realise that, although its good stuff for the media.

As for England - awful. FIFA do stats from all the games and Gerrard had a shocker - 63% pass rate and his heat map showed him nowhere near the left hand side which was where he was meant to be playing. Of course I don't blame him for going looking for the ball as at least he was trying to make things happen.

Guest PurpleNose
He shouldn't have said it but Rooney works hard and must have been very frustrated with his own, and the teams, performance. It was said in the heat of the moment and was fired from his competitive spirit which is what makes him the player he is.

He should apologise but it's no real big deal and most people will realise that, although its good stuff for the media.

As for England - awful. FIFA do stats from all the games and Gerrard had a shocker - 63% pass rate and his heat map showed him nowhere near the left hand side which was where he was meant to be playing. Of course I don't blame him for going looking for the ball as at least he was trying to make things happen.

That is atrocious.

FIFA do stats from all the games and Gerrard had a shocker - 63% pass rate and his heat map showed him nowhere near the left hand side which was where he was meant to be playing. Of course I don't blame him for going looking for the ball as at least he was trying to make things happen.

Negged

In my opinion, there's no excuse for booing. Going back to the theatre/music gig analogy, who amongst that crowd - even those mongs - would greet a sub-standard performance by booing? You wouldn't. You'd just shake your head and think 'I'm not fucking doing that again'. But booing? It's become a football thing to do. And it's just so small-time.

Who would have paid a minimum of about £2,500 to go to a gig or the theatre, maybe having to jib your family beach holiday for the year in order to get there?

If you had paid £2,500 to go to a gig and the band came on stage with no drummer, a guitarist with three strings on his instrument and the singer just blew a vuvuzela for the entire gig, you still wouldn't moan? I've been to gigs that cost £30 for a ticket and seen bands bottled off the stage!

Also, the prevailing culture of the theatre isn't one in which booing would usually be seen as a reasonable way of expressing displeasure at a poor performance whereas booing at a sporting event is hardly unknown; in fact other than at pantomimes (coincidentally, exactly what last night's game was) sports events are exactly where I'd expect to hear booing - it's the usual way in which a large crowed of people express dissatisfaction when the targets of their wrath are too far away to hear personally directed comments.

I understand your point but the choice of analogy was poor.

For me, this sums up the issues around last night perfectly:

How quick working lads like Rooney forget their roots and forget not every one gets paid 100k a week and can afford to throw away 5k here and there.

It should only take a second of thought, a miniscule scrap of empathy, for a working class lad brought up in a working class area to understand the financial sacrifices that many of those fans would have made to be there and in turn to understand why they reacted the way that they did, yet Rooney's first reaction was to wonder why the fans weren't showing more understanding or empathy for him.

The short answer is that many of the fans would understandably struggle to imagine themselves in Rooney's shoes; travelling the world, being paid over £5m a year in wages, God only knows how much in endorsment fees and all for doing something that many of those same fans do themselves after work because it's fun. Rooney should have no similar problems with putting himself in the fan's shoes considering that's where he came from.

Anyway, today's Mirror gives us this:

Weeping Wayne Rooney blasted England's travelling supporters last night as they jeered him and his teammates following their dismal 0-0 draw with Algeria.

Rooney, with tears streaming down his face, turned to a camera and said angrily: "It''s nice to hea your own fans booing you." The Manchester United striker then stormed off to the dressing room, muttering as he went.

Now, I didn't notice him weeping like a virgin bride myself. I've just looked at the video again and I still can't see it, I saw him sweating like an alky on his way to the offy for his morning pick-me-up but that was about it. Perhaps it's because I've seen that scowling, grizzling countenance so often that I now recognise it as Rooney's natural expression. What I did see, yet again, was a window into Rooney's character, or rather the lack of it.

Rooney reacts to percieved criticism or injustice by lashing out at others instead of looking to himself, a trait that most people grow out of by their mid teens. We've seen it time after time; when he's booked and starts swearing at the ref instead of winding his neck in, when he starts charging around the pitch like a stroppy teenager if he feels decisions are going against him, when he puts a nasty challenge in because he's frustrated at how badly he's playing. Emotionally, he's a child. If he starts against Slovenia and the game isn't going well, I'll be the least surprised man in Britain if he gets sent off.

He'd do better to spend less time thinking about what the fans are doing and more time considering why they were doing it, but unfortunately I think even that basic level of insight is beyond him. Most times, I wouldn't agree with booing a player or a team myself but last night, he'd bought and paid for it in the preceding 90 minutes and should have been man enough to realise that.

One of the things that I hate most of all about the FA promoting Rooney as one of their figureheads is that this petulant man-child is held up as an example of everything that's great about the English spirit and the English game. He's about as far removed from both as I can possibly imagine.

Edited by RoboRiise

On the whole, fans who travel to support England are dickheads who believe the shite they read in The Sun about England being the best team in the world. Therefore you can understand the confused state their minds must be in after watching 90 minutes like that.

If you were working in a construction team, and the work you did was fucking awful, the client will have every right to go off on one. Even though you tried etc. is no excuse.

I earn just under £18k a year and if I fuck something up at work, no-one gives me a pat on the head because I tried.

Kewell was booed at Istanbul, and there were fights and people leaving when we were 3-0 down. I do believe the crowd played a big part in our comeback, but apart from YNWA at half time it was pretty quiet and despondent until Gerrard scored. Then it kicked off massively and didn't stop.

This is true.

England fully deserved to be booed off last night. A team that collectively failed to show the will to win. Hopefully they'll stop acting like the whole world is against each individual and man up. Whatever the bust up they appear to have had, they need to put it to one side, show some guts and belief in their ability, get out there and win it for their own professional pride. If they don't like the manager, tough. It's not like they have to play for him every week.

It was a risible performance last night.

Who would have paid a minimum of about £2,500 to go to a gig or the theatre, maybe having to jib your family beach holiday for the year in order to get there?

If you had paid £2,500 to go to a gig and the band came on stage with no drummer, a guitarist with three strings on his instrument and the singer just blew a vuvuzela for the entire gig, you still wouldn't moan? I've been to gigs that cost £30 for a ticket and seen bands bottled off the stage!

Also, the prevailing culture of the theatre isn't one in which booing would usually be seen as a reasonable way of expressing displeasure at a poor performance whereas booing at a sporting event is hardly unknown; in fact other than at pantomimes (coincidentally, exactly what last night's game was) sports events are exactly where I'd expect to hear booing - it's the usual way in which a large crowed of people express dissatisfaction when the targets of their wrath are too far away to hear personally directed comments.

It should only take a second of thought, a miniscule scrap of empathy, for a working class lad brought up in a working class area to understand the financial sacrifices that many of those fans would have made to be there and in turn to understand why they reacted the way that they did, yet Rooney's first reaction was to wonder why the fans weren't showing more understanding or empathy for him.

The short answer is that many of the fans would understandably struggle to imagine themselves in Rooney's shoes; travelling the world, being paid over £5m a year in wages, God only knows how much in endorsment fees and all for doing something that many of those same fans do themselves after work because it's fun. Rooney should have no similar problems with putting himself in the fan's shoes considering that's where he came from.

Now, I didn't notice him weeping like a virgin bride myself. I've just looked at the video again and I still can't see it, I saw him sweating like an alky on his way to the offy for his morning pick-me-up but that was about it. Perhaps it's because I've seen that scowling, grizzling countenance so often that I now recognise it as Rooney's natural expression. What I did see, yet again, was a window into Rooney's character, or rather the lack of it.

Rooney reacts to percieved criticism or injustice by lashing out at others instead of looking to himself, a trait that most people grow out of by their mid teens. We've seen it time after time; when he's booked and starts swearing at the ref instead of winding his neck in, when he starts charging around the pitch like a stroppy teenager if he feels decisions are going against him, when he puts a nasty challenge in because he's frustrated at how badly he's playing. Emotionally, he's a child. If he starts against Slovenia and the game isn't going well, I'll be the least surprised man in Britain if he gets sent off.

He'd do better to spend less time thinking about what the fans are doing and more time considering why they were doing it, but unfortunately I think even that basic level of insight is beyond him. Most times, I wouldn't agree with booing a player or a team myself but last night, he'd bought and paid for it in the preceding 90 minutes and should have been man enough to realise that.

One of the things that I hate most of all about the FA promoting Rooney as one of their figureheads is that this petulant man-child is held up as an example of everything that's great about the English spirit and the English game. He's about as far removed from both as I can possibly imagine.

Good post, agree with almost every word.

Tried to rep but it wouldn't let me.

On the whole, fans who travel to support England are dickheads who believe the shite they read in The Sun about England being the best team in the world. Therefore you can understand the confused state their minds must be in after watching 90 minutes like that.

Not many mefs there though lad. Lots of families and people who are combining it with a touring holiday in South Africa. Not really your yob or your urchin's type of gig.

I'm sure they were still confused though.

Not many mefs there though lad. Lots of families and people who are combining it with a touring holiday in South Africa. Not really your yob or your urchin's type of gig.

I'm sure they were still confused though.

True. I'd imagine the regulars will be priced out although travelling to watch England cant be cheap regardless of where it is.

If I have a nightmare of a day in work then I'd expect a fucking bollocking.

If you walked into your bosses office and he started booing you you'd think he was a gobshite. Pretty much what Rooney did.

Havin' a go at the players for a shite performance is one thing. Booing whilst you've got your face painted is scarely above a kid throwing a tantrum.

I earn just under £18k a year and if I fuck something up at work, no-one gives me a pat on the head because I tried.

Shows you just how detatched these overpaid prima donna's are from their roots. Barry said, "The fans obviously want the team to play well so they can extend their stay out here".

Sorry Gareth, that's not how the real world works. When you book a holiday and buy tickets, that's it, you pay for a week and get tickets to see one game, 2 if your lucky. I know this, I thought about it half a year ago. This costs in excess of £2500 a person, if England get through, you don't exactly extend your stay unless you yourself are minted. Who could afford to just impulsively spend another £2500 a person, cause the team went further.

Sick of the amount of money in the game, I blame Sky. I think they tore the soul out of football, with the 'Premier League'. Then Abramovich came along and really distorted everything in football, and City's owners are continuing this. The Champions League revenue is going to do the same, when Platini's rules about spending only your revenue,this will create a cartel in the top four. Teams will never break into the top four again. What a joke.

/Rant

They played utter shite but fans from 30 other countries have made that journey and you don't see them booing their teams. Granted England were only outplayed in the shiteness stakes by France, but I didn't hear any French booing.

England fans need to shake off this sense of fucking entitlement. That team owes you fuck all. If you want to go and see great football stop watching England you fucking muppets. There are plenty of other countries playing who can play good football. Anyone who goes there expecting England to play excellent football deserves to be fleeced cos it will never happen, not until major changes are made at the most basic levels of English football.

Did Liverpool fans boo when we were getting trounced in Istanbul? Did they fuck, they sang their fucking hearts out and reminded the players why they love playing for Liverpool. Instead of jumping on their backs.

That said, the players were utter shite and need to look at themselves.

It isn't the fault of the coaches or individual players. It is the people who make decisions across the board on how children are taught and trained who are to blame because they raised a generation (more than that) of English kids who think running fast and kicking hard is all you need to be a good footballer.

They played utter shite but fans from 30 other countries have made that journey and you don't see them booing their teams. Granted England were only outplayed in the shiteness stakes by France, but I didn't hear any French booing.

England fans need to shake off this sense of fucking entitlement. That team owes you fuck all. If you want to go and see great football stop watching England you fucking muppets. There are plenty of other countries playing who can play good football. Anyone who goes there expecting England to play excellent football deserves to be fleeced cos it will never happen, not until major changes are made at the most basic levels of English football.

Did Liverpool fans boo when we were getting trounced in Istanbul? Did they fuck, they sang their fucking hearts out and reminded the players why they love playing for Liverpool. Instead of jumping on their backs.

That said, the players were utter shite and need to look at themselves.

It isn't the fault of the coaches or individual players. It is the people who make decisions across the board on how children are taught and trained who are to blame because they raised a generation (more than that) of English kids who think running fast and kicking hard is all you need to be a good footballer.

Yeah Yeah Yeah blame British Society, we've heard it before. Ignore that the players themselves were lazy, effortless. At Istanbul, the players played their hearts out after that first half. England turned in the same lifeless shite display for 90 minutes.

Beautiful, especially that last bit. It's so spot on it's untrue. There's something farcical about seeing Rooney draped in England flags like he's some kind of figurehead, he's a fucking disgrace and a moron.

I disagree when people say that England fans think they're entitled to win, I think it tends to be amplified by the media more often than not. The national game in this country would be a completely different animal if you rounded up the fleet street sports writers and shot them all in the face.

Edited by Section_31

Yeah Yeah Yeah blame British Society, we've heard it before. Ignore that the players themselves were lazy, effortless. At Istanbul, the players played their hearts out after that first half. England turned in the same lifeless shite display for 90 minutes.

I'm not saying that is the reason for this one poor performance. I'm saying England will never do well at the top level of international football until they learn how to play it the way the rest of the world does and that England fans would do well to realise the team's shortcomings, which they never will.

And I didn't ignore the players either although I made less of a point about that because I was talking about English football in general and not one match.