You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Rafa opinion poll

Guest davelfc

What do you want?  

224 members have voted

1. 1. What do you want?

• Rafa sacked now
    • Rafa sacked at the end of the season
    • Rafa deserves one more season
    • Rafa needs to stay.

• Replies 324
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record, word on the street is...

Contradiction in terms? Former at least implies some semblance of veracity, the latter pub hearsay.

£32 million Berbatov, £28 million Veron, £18 million Hargreaves, £17 million Carrick, £17 million Anderson, £16 million Nani – mistakes

They all have league winners medals. Mistakes in what sense?

Contradiction in terms? Former at least implies some semblance of veracity, the latter pub hearsay.

Just because they have a winners medal does that make them good players or good buys by the manager?

Josemi, Traore etc have a Champions League winners medal - does that make them a success?

Is sacking the manager and bringing in a G&H appoointee the change we need?

Really?

Unfortunately yes, because there is no other way. We're now playing football as bad as i've ever seen and it simply can't continue; maybe things will turn out worse but it's a chance we have to take.

Just because they have a winners medal does that make them good players or good buys by the manager?

Josemi, Traore etc have a Champions League winners medal - does that make them a success?

By definition, I think it does.

They may not be "good", but the whole purpose of playing competitive matches is to win them, so when these players "won", that makes them a success. And therefore a good buy.

I think Nani, Anderson, Veron are rubbish. But they each helped win the league title for their team, so surely that IS success?

I don't think you can fairly call them "mistakes" if they win the league.

I voted Rafa needs to stay. There is no money and there's no way I want some twat like Curbishley managing us.

Rafa has a plan for this club and yeah for various reasons its gone off the rails but I still believe hes the man to get it back on track. Doesn't mean he hasn't at times pissed me off with team selections or even our lack of style though.

but there's penty of players who have this season been nothing short of cowards and let this club down disgracefully and they need to look at themselves and their own attitudes.

They may not believe in Rafa anymore. Well I couldn't give a shit if they don't there still wearing the liver bird upon their chest and that requires each and eveytime you play for us you give your heart and soul and the cunts aren't giving their heart and soul. You could be the worst player we've ever had and I'd forgive you for being shit,but not caring and not trying? fuck off out of our club you tossers.

I voted Rafa needs to stay. There is no money and there's no way I want some twat like Curbishley managing us.

Rafa has a plan for this club and yeah for various reasons its gone off the rails but I still believe hes the man to get it back on track. Doesn't mean he hasn't at times pissed me off with team selections or even our lack of style though.

but there's penty of players who have this season been nothing short of cowards and let this club down disgracefully and they need to look at themselves and their own attitudes.

They may not believe in Rafa anymore. Well I couldn't give a shit if they don't there still wearing the liver bird upon their chest and that requires each and eveytime you play for us you give your heart and soul and the cunts aren't giving their heart and soul. You could be the worst player we've ever had and I'd forgive you for being shit,but not caring and not trying? fuck off out of our club you tossers.

But you could argue the players not trying is the managers fault. Can you imagine for one moment Utd players not trying for Ferguson. If a workforce is not motivated who do you look at?

Smicer, Biscan and Kewell have Champs league winners medals and Phil Neville has a bag full of premier league winners medals and I would argue they were all sh*te! Your nit picking when all I am trying to do is put some perspective on the situation at our club. Had Rafa had the cash at his disposal I seriously doubt he would have wasted it on Veron, Berbatov, Carrick and co. I was merely trying to suggest that no manager is perfect in the transfer market and Man Utd have proven that you can accomodate mistakes when you have six or seven other quality players in your first team and a squad full of above average players in your squad.

'Word on the street' is a term used when you don't want to leave yourself open to 'libel' proceedings in court for false accusations. May I suggest you check Liverpools books at the end of the financial season which you are perfectly entitled to do.

But you could argue the players not trying is the managers fault. Can you imagine for one moment Utd players not trying for Ferguson. If a workforce is not motivated who do you look at?

No chance, sorry. Steven Gerrard is a Liverpool supporter if he can't be arsed the blame lies squarely on his shoulders. Same goes for Yossi and his fucking hands on hips.

I am having my doubts but still in the 'give him next year', but at this moment in time (I haven't quite calmed down) my feelings are that should Rafa leave then I want Gerrard following him out of the door.

I think it is just knee jerk bollocks at the moment that will go and I'll feel embarrassed for thinking about it, but at the moment I am still fuming at the players.

If I had my way Benny would never put a red shirt on again.

Football is a game that divides opinion and what floats one man’s boat sinks another’s. I am all for freedom of speech and I will always respect somebody else’s opinion but some of the drivel and vitriol being spewed out of late is becoming almost unbearable.

Why is it certain individuals, usually the fickle contingent, think Liverpool have a divine right to win trophy's and titles?

Level playing fields are a thing of the past and have been since Rafa took charge. Time for a reality check folks, if you can bare to drag yourself away from the hysterical phone-ins dictated by tabloid media driven propaganda.

Never has one manager become the focus of such crass and biased media attention from two-bob journalists, taking cheap shots in the hope of grabbing a sensationalist headline with articles devoid of substance.

Since Rafa took control who have been the only two teams to lift the premier league title? Answer: Man Utd and Chelsea. What is the common denominator? Answer: money, a precious commodity Liverpool have very little off. In fact, Rafas total net spend in his first 5 years in charge wouldn't even buy him the loveable Christiano Ronaldo. Although £12 million might have done if the board had backed him before Man Utd nipped in to sign him!

The league table as it stands confirms that money dictates success. No team above Liverpool has less money, they all have more OR have spent more. Football has moved on since our halycon days of the 70's and 80's and the 'fickle contingent' have to accept that we are were we are.

The truth is, Liverpool cannot and will not win the Premiership title unless new owners come along capable of propelling the club into the same financial stratosphere as the big hitters. It doesn’t matter who is in charge, whether it be Capello, Hiddink, Mourinho, Ferguson, they will all have the same budget as Rafa, meaning they will only be able to sign the same average players as Rafa and that is a FACT.

The truth is, Liverpool are no better than a top 6 side at best. A bitter pill to swallow indeed but nevertheless something I as a Liverpool supporter and we as the supporter have to accept. Man Utd, Chelsea and now Man City have all got or in Man Utd’s case had, unlimited transfer budgets. Arsenal will be up there with the big spenders once they get their house in order, Aston Villa have got money, Spurs always seem to find money and even Sunderland & Birmingham have money! As much as I am sure Rafa would like to buy them, Messi, Ribery and Alves are just not available on his budget. And they won’t be available on the next manager’s budget either.

It is easy to criticise from the stand or from the comfort of the armchair but put yourself in Rafa's shoes. All his rivals are shopping at Harrods and he has to make do with freebies or two bob journeymen from TK Max.

Do you really think that Rafa wants to sign average players? Many of the 80 or so players Rafa has brought in were for free or small undisclosed amounts (They were also brought in as part of the restructuring of the academy and reserve teams). When you go to the board and tell them you need a right winger and they give you £6 million to spend, you get Jermaine Pennant. Because that is what you get for £6 million. When you go to the board and say you need a left winger and they give you £8.5 million, you get Albert Rierra. Because that is what you get for £8.5 million. If you haven’t got a pot to p**s in you get Voronin, Deggen and Rodriguez.

For the record, word on the street is that contrary to popular belief, Aquilani cost only £5 million and not the reported £20 million. There are add-ons to the £5 million based on success i.e. LFC win the league, Champs Lge, FA Cup etc. As that isn’t going to happen, Rafa could have bagged himself a bargain. That won’t deter the ‘fickle’ contingent from criticising though. He has played less than 300 minutes of football in a disjointed team devoid of confidence and consistency, but the initial comments on forums and phone-ins are that he is ‘crap’. I remember one Thierry Henry’s 1st 18 months at Arsenal when he was also ‘crap!’ Who had the last laugh there? Patience is a virtue!

Yes I agree mistakes have been made in the transfer market but who isn't guilty of that? The facts speak for themselves, if you haven’t got socks on, you can’t pull them up! Liverpool have one player who who Rafa paid over £20 million for and he is now worth £80-£100 million. Rafa paid £18 million for Mascherano and £17 million for Johnson proving that when he is spending big money, Rafa gets it right. Dossena and the highly regarded Babel where in my humble opinion mistakes but they weren’t - £32 million Berbatov, £28 million Veron, £18 million Hargreaves, £17 million Carrick, £17 million Anderson, £16 million Nani – mistakes, I won't even go there with the numerous £5 million mistakes, yet Sir Alex slips under the radar or nearer to the truth, the hacks are terrified of him!

The team is crying out for a leader, somebody to set an example and get hold of games by the scruff of the neck and take the team forward, but it would appear we have nobody brave enough at the moment, sad times indeed. Player’s who don’t want to wear the red shirt and give their all need to be rooted out and moved on, rapido and if that means saying adios to Stevie ‘me’ then so be it. To lose our talisman would be devastating but we can’t afford to pussyfoot around especially if he is having the alleged negative effect on the team, we are in a dire situation here. We need 100% commitment, nothing less!

Perspective

Arsene Wenger is lauded for his ability to sign promising talent on the cheap and turn them into superstars. Whilst not criticising Wenger’s coaching ability (in my opinion he is the best), statistics show he has only won 1 trophy (2005 FA Cup) in the whole of Rafa’s reign. In fact, Rafa’s Liverpool have finished higher in the league 3 out of 5 seasons, been to 2 European cup finals to Arsenal’s 1 and won 1 European cup final, whereas Arsenal lost their one and only appearance in Europe’s premier trophy. Arsenal’s ability to play attractive football is not in question but the fact is they haven’t won a trophy since 2005. There have also been mutterings of discontent from the ‘fickle’ minority, thankfully the board have stood firm and Arsenal continue to play the beautiful game, albeit trophy-less!

Sir Alex also endured a recent barren spell when big spending Man Utd finished 18 points behind winners Chelsea in 2004. In the 2 seasons that followed all they could muster was a League Cup win against lowly Wigan. The ‘Fickle’ contingent also called for his head (as they did in the early stages of his tenure back in the 80’s), accusing him of losing the plot. The board stuck with him and they went on to win 3 Premiership titles in a row and a Champions League crown, proving once again that continuity is the key.

C. Ronaldo, N. Vidic, D. Alves and G. Barry are all quality players who Rafa wanted to sign but was never backed by the board. All those who point to the departure of Crouch, Alonso and Keane automatically assume Rafa was to blame. Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors so one can only speculate which is very unfair. Personally I think Crouch asked to go to improve his chances of England selection because he fell behind Torres in the pecking order, I think Robbie Keane was sold on because firstly he didn’t impress even though he is a seasoned Premiership player and secondly ‘Dick’ Parry signed him and of course fell on his sword for that grave error of judgement.

The selling of Alonso was obviously a business decision made by the board. £35 million for a 28 year old who Liverpool had arguably had the best years out of was obviously an attractive proposition for the owners who lumped a massive debt on to our club. I cannot believe for a moment that any manager would surely sanction that deal unless he was assured he could spend the £35 million on his replacement. As we know, that never happened. Aquilani was brought in for a reported £20 million but I am sure once Liverpool’s books are published it will show it was nearer £5 million with add-ons? Time will tell!

This isn't a 'big Rafa up' post, I am just a supporter trying to redress the balance, because some of the sh*t I read on this forum beggars belief.

For the record;

Rafa is not without criticism and should shoulder some of the blame for our decline. I am none to keen on negative tactics or playing players out of position. I am also no fan of mass rotation or press conferences blaming all and sundry except the team and management. But, all managers have faults and Rafa is no different. In the cold light of day, Rafas positives far outweigh his negatives, his track record is second to none and he obviously has a great affection for the club and the city. And that is good enough for me.

Those who want him out, should be careful what they wish for because believe me we have further to fall yet, I cdertainly don't believe we have hit rock bottom yet, not even close! There are big problems within our club that go well beyond the realms of management. Rafa Benitez and Christian Purslow are about the only two individuals I would trust in this crisis. Rant over hope you enjoyed the read!

No its not.

Football is a game that divides opinion and what floats one man’s boat sinks another’s. I am all for freedom of speech and I will always respect somebody else’s opinion but some of the drivel and vitriol being spewed out of late is becoming almost unbearable.

Why is it certain individuals, usually the fickle contingent, think Liverpool have a divine right to win trophy's and titles?

Level playing fields are a thing of the past and have been since Rafa took charge. Time for a reality check folks, if you can bare to drag yourself away from the hysterical phone-ins dictated by tabloid media driven propaganda.

Never has one manager become the focus of such crass and biased media attention from two-bob journalists, taking cheap shots in the hope of grabbing a sensationalist headline with articles devoid of substance.

Since Rafa took control who have been the only two teams to lift the premier league title? Answer: Man Utd and Chelsea. What is the common denominator? Answer: money, a precious commodity Liverpool have very little off. In fact, Rafas total net spend in his first 5 years in charge wouldn't even buy him the loveable Christiano Ronaldo. Although £12 million might have done if the board had backed him before Man Utd nipped in to sign him!

The league table as it stands confirms that money dictates success. No team above Liverpool has less money, they all have more OR have spent more. Football has moved on since our halycon days of the 70's and 80's and the 'fickle contingent' have to accept that we are were we are.

The truth is, Liverpool cannot and will not win the Premiership title unless new owners come along capable of propelling the club into the same financial stratosphere as the big hitters. It doesn’t matter who is in charge, whether it be Capello, Hiddink, Mourinho, Ferguson, they will all have the same budget as Rafa, meaning they will only be able to sign the same average players as Rafa and that is a FACT.

The truth is, Liverpool are no better than a top 6 side at best. A bitter pill to swallow indeed but nevertheless something I as a Liverpool supporter and we as the supporter have to accept. Man Utd, Chelsea and now Man City have all got or in Man Utd’s case had, unlimited transfer budgets. Arsenal will be up there with the big spenders once they get their house in order, Aston Villa have got money, Spurs always seem to find money and even Sunderland & Birmingham have money! As much as I am sure Rafa would like to buy them, Messi, Ribery and Alves are just not available on his budget. And they won’t be available on the next manager’s budget either.

It is easy to criticise from the stand or from the comfort of the armchair but put yourself in Rafa's shoes. All his rivals are shopping at Harrods and he has to make do with freebies or two bob journeymen from TK Max.

Do you really think that Rafa wants to sign average players? Many of the 80 or so players Rafa has brought in were for free or small undisclosed amounts (They were also brought in as part of the restructuring of the academy and reserve teams). When you go to the board and tell them you need a right winger and they give you £6 million to spend, you get Jermaine Pennant. Because that is what you get for £6 million. When you go to the board and say you need a left winger and they give you £8.5 million, you get Albert Rierra. Because that is what you get for £8.5 million. If you haven’t got a pot to p**s in you get Voronin, Deggen and Rodriguez.

For the record, word on the street is that contrary to popular belief, Aquilani cost only £5 million and not the reported £20 million. There are add-ons to the £5 million based on success i.e. LFC win the league, Champs Lge, FA Cup etc. As that isn’t going to happen, Rafa could have bagged himself a bargain. That won’t deter the ‘fickle’ contingent from criticising though. He has played less than 300 minutes of football in a disjointed team devoid of confidence and consistency, but the initial comments on forums and phone-ins are that he is ‘crap’. I remember one Thierry Henry’s 1st 18 months at Arsenal when he was also ‘crap!’ Who had the last laugh there? Patience is a virtue!

Yes I agree mistakes have been made in the transfer market but who isn't guilty of that? The facts speak for themselves, if you haven’t got socks on, you can’t pull them up! Liverpool have one player who who Rafa paid over £20 million for and he is now worth £80-£100 million. Rafa paid £18 million for Mascherano and £17 million for Johnson proving that when he is spending big money, Rafa gets it right. Dossena and the highly regarded Babel where in my humble opinion mistakes but they weren’t - £32 million Berbatov, £28 million Veron, £18 million Hargreaves, £17 million Carrick, £17 million Anderson, £16 million Nani – mistakes, I won't even go there with the numerous £5 million mistakes, yet Sir Alex slips under the radar or nearer to the truth, the hacks are terrified of him!

The team is crying out for a leader, somebody to set an example and get hold of games by the scruff of the neck and take the team forward, but it would appear we have nobody brave enough at the moment, sad times indeed. Player’s who don’t want to wear the red shirt and give their all need to be rooted out and moved on, rapido and if that means saying adios to Stevie ‘me’ then so be it. To lose our talisman would be devastating but we can’t afford to pussyfoot around especially if he is having the alleged negative effect on the team, we are in a dire situation here. We need 100% commitment, nothing less!

Perspective

Arsene Wenger is lauded for his ability to sign promising talent on the cheap and turn them into superstars. Whilst not criticising Wenger’s coaching ability (in my opinion he is the best), statistics show he has only won 1 trophy (2005 FA Cup) in the whole of Rafa’s reign. In fact, Rafa’s Liverpool have finished higher in the league 3 out of 5 seasons, been to 2 European cup finals to Arsenal’s 1 and won 1 European cup final, whereas Arsenal lost their one and only appearance in Europe’s premier trophy. Arsenal’s ability to play attractive football is not in question but the fact is they haven’t won a trophy since 2005. There have also been mutterings of discontent from the ‘fickle’ minority, thankfully the board have stood firm and Arsenal continue to play the beautiful game, albeit trophy-less!

Sir Alex also endured a recent barren spell when big spending Man Utd finished 18 points behind winners Chelsea in 2004. In the 2 seasons that followed all they could muster was a League Cup win against lowly Wigan. The ‘Fickle’ contingent also called for his head (as they did in the early stages of his tenure back in the 80’s), accusing him of losing the plot. The board stuck with him and they went on to win 3 Premiership titles in a row and a Champions League crown, proving once again that continuity is the key.

C. Ronaldo, N. Vidic, D. Alves and G. Barry are all quality players who Rafa wanted to sign but was never backed by the board. All those who point to the departure of Crouch, Alonso and Keane automatically assume Rafa was to blame. Nobody knows what goes on behind closed doors so one can only speculate which is very unfair. Personally I think Crouch asked to go to improve his chances of England selection because he fell behind Torres in the pecking order, I think Robbie Keane was sold on because firstly he didn’t impress even though he is a seasoned Premiership player and secondly ‘Dick’ Parry signed him and of course fell on his sword for that grave error of judgement.

The selling of Alonso was obviously a business decision made by the board. £35 million for a 28 year old who Liverpool had arguably had the best years out of was obviously an attractive proposition for the owners who lumped a massive debt on to our club. I cannot believe for a moment that any manager would surely sanction that deal unless he was assured he could spend the £35 million on his replacement. As we know, that never happened. Aquilani was brought in for a reported £20 million but I am sure once Liverpool’s books are published it will show it was nearer £5 million with add-ons? Time will tell!

This isn't a 'big Rafa up' post, I am just a supporter trying to redress the balance, because some of the sh*t I read on this forum beggars belief.

For the record;

Rafa is not without criticism and should shoulder some of the blame for our decline. I am none to keen on negative tactics or playing players out of position. I am also no fan of mass rotation or press conferences blaming all and sundry except the team and management. But, all managers have faults and Rafa is no different. In the cold light of day, Rafas positives far outweigh his negatives, his track record is second to none and he obviously has a great affection for the club and the city. And that is good enough for me.

Those who want him out, should be careful what they wish for because believe me we have further to fall yet, I cdertainly don't believe we have hit rock bottom yet, not even close! There are big problems within our club that go well beyond the realms of management. Rafa Benitez and Christian Purslow are about the only two individuals I would trust in this crisis. Rant over hope you enjoyed the read!

There is too much wrong in there for me to have the time to dissect. Nice length though.

Guest davelfc
Rafas total net spend in his first 5 years in charge wouldn't even buy him the loveable Christiano Ronaldo. Although £12 million might have done if the board had backed him before Man Utd nipped in to sign him!

C. Ronaldo, N. Vidic, D. Alves and G. Barry are all quality players who Rafa wanted to sign but was never backed by the board.

You do realise man u signed Ronaldo for £12.24 million in 2003?

But don't let facts or the truth get in the way of things eh?

"C. Ronaldo, N. Vidic, D. Alves and G. Barry are all quality players who Rafa wanted to sign but was never backed by the board."

Sacrificing Alonso for Barry is fundamentally wrong IMO - and Vidic is a petulant, over rated , slow, one dimensional cart-horse. And (as pointed out) Ronaldo was signed in 2003. Give you Alves, though.

You do realise man u signed Ronaldo for £12.24 million in 2003?

But don't let facts or the truth get in the way of things eh?

When everyone including ourselves & Arse wanted him.

However they paid the highest wages (this was pre-Roman really getting going) so he went there.

This was pre-Rafa so it is not about him.

We also do it to other teams (ie/ the BS wanted Momo 1st) so it is not a "woe-is-me" thread.

Rather nicely illustrates yet another reason why, in this infomation age, it is all about how much you pay as a club.

Guest davelfc
When everyone including ourselves & Arse wanted him.

However they paid the highest wages (this was pre-Roman really getting going) so he went there.

This was pre-Rafa so it is not about him.

We also do it to other teams (ie/ the BS wanted Momo 1st) so it is not a "woe-is-me" thread.

Rather nicely illustrates yet another reason why, in this infomation age, it is all about how much you pay as a club.

The point was being made that had Rafa had the backing then Ronaldo would be playing for us. Which is total bollocks. Trying to make points by bending the truth to suit yourself is pathetic. (not a dig at you, a dig at the person making the shit up)

If the person who posted it actually believes it then that is worse.

The point was being made that had Rafa had the backing then Ronaldo would be playing for us. Which is total bollocks. Trying to make points by bending the truth to suit yourself is pathetic. (not a dig at you, a dig at the person making the shit up)

I agree.

1 thing determines 90% of where a team finishes in the PL & Rafa has outperformed that.

Whether the cost in terms of the football we play to get there which has been painful at times, is worth it is entirely up to you.....

By definition, I think it does.

They may not be "good", but the whole purpose of playing competitive matches is to win them, so when these players "won", that makes them a success. And therefore a good buy.

I think Nani, Anderson, Veron are rubbish. But they each helped win the league title for their team, so surely that IS success?

I don't think you can fairly call them "mistakes" if they win the league.

I understand what you're saying, but do you really beleive what you've just written.

Veron - 51 apperances in 3 years - 7 goals - £25m - Success?

Anderson - 55 apperances in 3 years - 1 goal - £18m - Success?

Nani - 52 apperances in 3 years - 5 goals - £18m - Success?

Had Slur not spent £61m on those 3 players - Utd would still have won the league and other cups.

Where's the "should have been sacked last summer and Tom R was right again, shocker" option?

Quite frankly the man is a fucking embarrassment and the sooner he fucks off the better.

Yes Tom, you and a whole lot others said he should be sacked last summer. In fact a number of people were saying he should go before that. After we won the European Cup in 2005 I was saying I still had concerns about his ability to understand our league. These only softened in the last 3 months of last season. We are aware of this and you don't need to repeat it. But by God I think we may have just found the one thing you are "better then everyone" at - monotonous, dull, repetition. Now shouldn’t you be on honeymoon?

Guest davelfc
Yes Tom, you and a whole lot others said he should be sacked last summer. In fact a number of people were saying he should go before that. After we won the European Cup in 2005 I was saying I still had concerns about his ability to understand our league. These only softened in the last 3 months of last season. We are aware of this and you don't need to repeat it. But by God I think we may have just found the one thing you are "better then everyone" at - monotonous, dull, repetition. Now shouldn’t you be on honeymoon?

I heard it was a disaster, she forgot the 'strap on'