You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Radio One Essential Mix - Here is a Goldmine

Fugitive

Get on Laidback Luke's and Deadmau5's from Ibiza Caradonna.

Both out of this world.

Amazing link Fuge, cheers.

Is that the Deadmau5 and Luciano set from Wonderland in Ibiza? I have that downloading now.

Where is the Laidback Luke one from Ibiza? I can only see his studio session.

• Replies 916
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fantastic. Stand outs at first glance are Massive Attack, David Holmes, Gilles Peterson, Norman Jay, Mr Scruff, Flying Lotus, Bugz In The Attic, High Contrast and LTJ Bukem. This is ace. I'll be downloading loads of these. Thanks, Fuge.

Guest the boy

There are very, very few similarities between Justice and Daft Punk: two French duos that follow the French-house vein of heavy sampling. That's it. I'm surprised that anyone would be getting into Justice now; Cross was a good album but the essence of that compressed/distorted sound's become horribly antwacky. The likes of Riva Starr, Solo, Harvard Bass and L-Vis 1990 are far more exciting than a duo that haven't really released anything of note in years now. They do have good taste when djing, though.

As for the EssentialMixes; Paul, if you like the FlyingLotus one then you'll love Hudson Mohawke's.

Is that the Deadmau5 and Luciano set from Wonderland in Ibiza? I have that downloading now.

Where is the Laidback Luke one from Ibiza? I can only see his studio session.

That's the one I meant. His studio one.

And for the earlier point, you can create smaller tracks, get on iTunes, right click, 'get info' then under one of the options you can select where the song starts and ends. Then just click 'create aac version' and it's sound.

Just listening to that LBL one again, just 2 hours of brilliance.

Most of the DJ's produce their own tracks and there is some superb stuff out there at the moment. It's not just sticking records on either, some of the stuff they are doing at the minute leaves you with goosebumps. They edit the tracks during sets and can make them sound totally new and fresh.

It may look easy but it's not, it's fucking rock hard to do what the real good DJ's do. Try playing 4 different tracks over each other and making it sound amazing and not a complete and utter mess and you would soon realise how difficult it is.

The Swedish House Mafia are fucking amazing with what they are doing at the moment.

You have to pay big bucks for the best DJ's though. It's not uncommon for certain DJ's to pick up £25K for a 2 hour set in a club. If they are playing at big festivals, this figure can rise upto £75K-100K.

My plan to have Deadmau5 at my 18th has just died. Cheers for the link Fuge as most of these look class.

My bird uses the word antwacky to describe clothes I pick out for her.

I have no idea what this word means but I always assumed it just mean "of greater greatness than anyone."

I think that's a fair assumption. If she uses anti-antwacky to describe the one you pick out for yourself then I think we have a lock.

Some people will only discover BB King this year, it's hardly mind-boggling that someome might get into Justice a couple of years after Cross comes out.

There are very, very few similarities between Justice and Daft Punk: two French duos that follow the French-house vein of heavy sampling. That's it. I'm surprised that anyone would be getting into Justice now; Cross was a good album but the essence of that compressed/distorted sound's become horribly antwacky. The likes of Riva Starr, Solo, Harvard Bass and L-Vis 1990 are far more exciting than a duo that haven't really released anything of note in years now. They do have good taste when djing, though.

As for the EssentialMixes; Paul, if you like the FlyingLotus one then you'll love Hudson Mohawke's.

I'm onto Hudson Mohawke (I had one of his tunes in my review of last year for Olly's Flashlight), but didn't spot his mix on there. I like some of his stuff but (as with FlyLo actually) he can get a bit too "out there" for me sometimes. I'll check it out though.

My plan to have Deadmau5 at my 18th has just died. Cheers for the link Fuge as most of these look class.

You must know a bedroom boffin who can get in the mix for you - everyone can fuck around with a laptop and Ableton/Serato/Logic these days and knock together something serviceable as long as their ears work. In many ways getting a mate to spin for you would be just as good as having some pro DJ come and get paid for a night's work. With a mate it's way more personal and intimate.

Fantastic. Stand outs at first glance are Massive Attack, David Holmes, Gilles Peterson, Norman Jay, Mr Scruff, Flying Lotus, Bugz In The Attic, High Contrast and LTJ Bukem. This is ace. I'll be downloading loads of these. Thanks, Fuge.

There's a Portishead one hidden in there too Paulo. I've also gone for:

MSTRKRFT - One of the dudes from Death from above 1979

Justice

Annie Mac

Simian mobile disco

Norman Cook

Daft Punk

Four Tet - heard a few things by these and they've always been good.

...and yet there's so much more to work through. Giddee up!

There's a Portishead one hidden in there too Paulo.

Sneaky.

The Massive Attack one is ace. Not sure who's doing the mixing though because neither Grant nor Delj have got skills. I've got a few of their early Bristol mixtapes from when they were The Wild Bunch and they can't mix for shit. Mind you all the best selectahs favour the "throw it all in there" approach (or at least that's what I always tell myself every time I get the decks out).

You must know a bedroom boffin who can get in the mix for you - everyone can fuck around with a laptop and Ableton/Serato/Logic these days and knock together something serviceable as long as their ears work. In many ways getting a mate to spin for you would be just as good as having some pro DJ come and get paid for a night's work. With a mate it's way more personal and intimate.

Well that isn't my nickname...

And I do have a mate who is a good local DJ but Deadmau5 is just Deadmau5. You cannot beat him. But seriously though, I was 17 yesterday so have a lot of planning to do but I would get a mate to DJ. But as Fuge said, it is hard to be a DJ, believe me I tried and I am hosting a radio show at my college so I need to learn, fast!

Well that isn't my nickname...

And I do have a mate who is a good local DJ but Deadmau5 is just Deadmau5. You cannot beat him. But seriously though, I was 17 yesterday so have a lot of planning to do but I would get a mate to DJ. But as Fuge said, it is hard to be a DJ, believe me I tried and I am hosting a radio show at my college so I need to learn, fast!

Christ, I feel old. My decks are older than you!

Define "Be a DJ". If you mean make a living out of it, I agree. However, if you mean love music, buy fucking shit loads of it and then fuck around on the decks 24/7, it's an absolute piece of piss. There are thousands of perfectly good amateur DJs out there. The trick is just to have the right taste in music and then knowing how to work a crowd.

Yep, I use Ableton mytself and it's superb for editing tracks to fit in the type of set you want to play. Made quite a few remixes and new track over the past few months that I'm really pleased with. Just need tweaking a bit.

I also agree with the suggestion of getting a mate to DJ and also, if you can DJ, get on the Decks for an hour or so yourself. Loads of fun and you can play all your favourite tracks ha.

My mate sent me a jarg copy of 'Virtual DJ' done a few songs fading into each other and that but nothing particularly good as of yet. I'm looking to buy a set of decks when I get some money together.

I tell you i'd be fucking pissed off if i'd paid 200 quid for it, the songs jump all over the place.

I also agree with the suggestion of getting a mate to DJ and also, if you can DJ, get on the Decks for an hour or so yourself. Loads of fun and you can play all your favourite tracks ha.

All the best parties I've ever been to had loads of mates playing back to back or doing threes each. The right party will go nuts if they get tune after tune after tune off people they know.

Anyway, which ones would you all recommend? I have the Deadmau5, FatBoy Slim from 1999 and Annie Mac downloading. Any more?

Depends what you like and how far you want to go back. Here are some of my favourites...

Pete Tong and Paul Oakenfold Live at Creams Birthday 10-11-98

Laurent Garnier Studio Session 06-25-94

Paul Oakenfold Studio Session - The Goa Mix 12-18-94

Danny Rampling and Pete Tong Live at Cream in Liverpool 10-14-95

Sasha Live at The Arches in Glasgow 11-25-95

Daft Punk Studio Session 12-30-97

John Digweed Live at Twilo 05-16-99

Pete Tong Live at Cream 12-31-99

Fatboy Slim Live at Cream 12-31-99

Laurent Garnier Live at Amnesia in Ibiza 08-06-00

Ferry Corsten Studio Session 02-08-04

Eddie Halliwell Live from Cream Amnesia 08-08-04

Above and Beyond Essential Mix of the Year 12-26-04

Eric Prydz Studio Session 03-13-05

Steve Angello Live from Privilege in Ibiza 08-13-06

Axwell Studio Session 08-20-06

Armin van Buuren Studio Session 12-24-06

Eric Prydz Studio Session 02-25-07

Swedish House Mafia Live from Cream Ibiza 08-12-07

Tong and Armin V Buuren Live at Cream's 15th Birthday 10-27-07

Axwell and others Live at Warehouse Project 12-22-07

Gareth Emery Studio Session 01-12-08

Laidback Luke Studio Session 02-23-08

Dirty South Studio Session 05-31-08

Swedish House Mafia Live at Warehouse Project 12-27-08

Funkagenda Studio Session 01-10-09

Gui Boratto Studio Session 03-28-09

Armin van Buuren Studio Session 05-30-09

They are just from doing a quick scan down. I've missed some gems out and will get some of the lesser known sets later.

My mate sent me a jarg copy of 'Virtual DJ' done a few songs fading into each other and that but nothing particularly good as of yet. I'm looking to buy a set of decks when I get some money together.

I tell you i'd be fucking pissed off if i'd paid 200 quid for it, the songs jump all over the place.

Get some proper CDJ's and mixer. Those computer based Virtual DJ are fucking shit and it's nothing like DJing.

Start off with some cheap CDJ's to get you used to using them and if you really get into it, upgrade later.

I started off with some dirt cheap Homemix CDJ's and mixer about 10 years ago and they got me used to DJing properly. I had decks as well but they are fading fast.

I've now got a set of Pioneer CDJ-2000 and a Pioneer DJM 800 mixer. They should have cost about £4000 for the lot but I got them for just under £2000 through work. I love them to bits though and they were well worth the money.