You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Need For Speed: Shift...this could be amazing

I know, Need For Speed, the game that's had about 1 million versions and most of them about the same, with several crap releases etc, but this looks amazing.

It looks so far beyond any racing game I've ever seen that I can't believe it, never mind just better than Need For Speed games. This is largely down to the fact that they've made this game track based for a big part, and they've now gone towards the simulation racing style instead of arcade.

Anyway, you need to see it to believe it really, so here's a clip. It might look amazing in this link, but to properly get how good it looks you need to see it in HD. I don't know if you can download this clip as my browser is messing up a bit at the moment, but you can definitely download some of the other clips linked to from gametrailers. So here's the first and best I've seen so far :

Need For Speed SHIFT Video Game, E3 09: High Speed Gameplay (Cam) | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

And here's the page with several clips, trailers, and an interview from someone who's part of the team making it. He used to be a racing driver himself if I remember what he said correctly and he talks about what makes this different from so many other games. (that one's called First Look Interview.)

Need for Speed SHIFT Video Game | Reviews, Trailers & Interviews | GameTrailers.com

Roll on september if this plays as good as it looks anyway, I'd piss if it put Gran Turismo back another year or so because they realised it was way better aswell. How long does it take those guys to make and release a fucking game? GT5 will be the next Duke Nukem Forever if they don't hurry the fuck up.

If you can't get the first clip I linked in HD, try downloading this one and you can see briefly how good it looks : Need For Speed SHIFT Video Game, Debut Teaser | Game Trailers & Videos | GameTrailers.com

Wow. I really wish I had a games console. Really love the NFS games, havent had the last few though due to lack of games console but this one look superb. I know it would look amazing in HD, since that looks amazing a bit fuzzy. I cant wait.

It looks like NFS: arcadey load of shite. Barging into other cars, overtaking everything in front of you while going much faster than them, drifitng around corners. Shite.

There are only two racing games worth getting this year: Forza 3 (untouchable) and GT5.

It looks like NFS: arcadey load of shite. Barging into other cars, overtaking everything in front of you while going much faster than them, drifitng around corners. Shite.

There are only two racing games worth getting this year: Forza 3 (untouchable) and GT5.

It 'looks' arcadey? I think it looks immense. And yeah the barging into other cars, etc will be there if you want to do that because you can make your own style and level up with the way you play. I think drifting rules too... I guess we'll see when it comes out anyway, but I've never seen anything that looks like that before.

And GT5 should be awesome obviously, but I'll be amazed if it finally comes out this year. I did have a read though and one of the makers said that they can bring it out pretty much whenever they want to, but they're just taking longer to make it better.

If they suss out the car physics for this game though and put in enough different cars, tracks and race types I still think it's going to be amazing. Ah and I've got to admit that I was totally bored of the NFS games before I saw this. The whole thing was just way too repetetive, even if I did love it at first. I think I had the very first NFS though and that was it.

I'd add Project Gotham to that as well.

It 'looks' arcadey? I think it looks immense. And yeah the barging into other cars, etc will be there if you want to do that because you can make your own style and level up with the way you play. I think drifting rules too... I guess we'll see when it comes out anyway, but I've never seen anything that looks like that before.

And GT5 should be awesome obviously, but I'll be amazed if it finally comes out this year. I did have a read though and one of the makers said that they can bring it out pretty much whenever they want to, but they're just taking longer to make it better.

If they suss out the car physics for this game though and put in enough different cars, tracks and race types I still think it's going to be amazing. Ah and I've got to admit that I was totally bored of the NFS games before I saw this. The whole thing was just way too repetetive, even if I did love it at first. I think I had the very first NFS though and that was it.

You don't mention Forza, which is the best of them all.

Have a look at this, proper racing:

Forza Motorsport 3 Movie (Xbox 360)

Forza is hard. Its not for n00bs. Its all about accelerating properly (delicate use of analogue throttle), avoiding wheel spins, slip streaming, taking corners properly, and breaking at the right time. And the drifting you see in Forza clips is done by people who have mastered using the manual transmission/acceleration/brake/handbrake all at once, its not automatic like in arcade racers.

Guest simon

GRID Race driver is the best racing game out at the mo the graphics are great and the Gameplay is great but it's a very hard game as it is very realistic.

You don't mention Forza, which is the best of them all.

Have a look at this, proper racing:

Forza Motorsport 3 Movie (Xbox 360)

Forza is hard. Its not for n00bs. Its all about accelerating properly (delicate use of analogue throttle), avoiding wheel spins, slip streaming, taking corners properly, and breaking at the right time. And the drifting you see in Forza clips is done by people who have mastered using the manual transmission/acceleration/brake/handbrake all at once, its not automatic like in arcade racers.

Yeah.....I only have a PS3 though. I might get an Xbox aswell at somepoint in the future.

Wiiksie......all I can say about that clip is GAHHHHH! It did my total pet hate with game clips and didn't show one second of in-game footage, just cars racing around a track. The Gran Turimso people are a fucking nightmare for that too, it drives me mental. Will keep a look out for any in-game footage anyway becuase I think I'll end up getting an Xbox at somepoint if I ever get my shit sorted out and get some money together.

I don't know why those Forza people even released that clip as it doesn't look that good. (the cars are ok but they don't look that realistic the way they move, and the scenery doesn't look too good either, but they'll probably touch all that up anyway.) The actual game when played will probably look a lot better, which always makes me wonder why they bring out footage like that.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Wow, talk about taking my time to get this. 4 years since I made this thread?

It's a pretty easy game to start with and seems to work really well, but once I got a Lamborghini things started getting pretty insane. Have got to tune it up to be able to handle it properly, and the skidding/drifting around corners style that I favour has had to be put to a side quite a bit, but yeah, it's an intense game.

Not sure what anyone else thinks of it, but when it comes to things like this vs games like Forza and so on : personally I don't want to be playing a game that works like a totally realistic simulation, I want a game, one where I'm free to either race properly if I want to, or use my favoured style of arriving at any part of a corner and then drifting accordingly at certain points on each track. It does slow me down and can cost the race sometimes, but it works well when done right, and I'd imagine you could do that in a real race too, for at least part of it anyway before the tires went. It's also faster occasionally because the AI will usually default to slowing down and following the racing line.

I just think games where you take one corner slightly too fast and end up skidding off the track aren't such fun and often pretty boring, which is why I'm not into F1 games and prefer rally games more than anything else.

A couple of negative points so far are firstly the blurry vision when you hit walls/tires/etc almost every time and you're left driving more or less blind and hoping you're still in the race by the time you can see again, and the way it default sets you to have steering and braking assist. I don't have any idea why they added those things because it's like you're on autopilot and wrestling the actual game just to play in parts of each race, but at least that can be removed from the settings.

But as things progress it does seem like you're made to start racing in a way that you can't just fly up to corners and drift around them, because your car does have a decent bit of realism and you just get punished as others catch you up. (or maybe you can, I've not bought all the parts for one of the faster cars yet so maybe some will still handle well enough eventually.) The drifting events are pretty decent too and a lot more difficult than I imagined. (if you simply try to accelerate out of a corner too fast you're left spinning almost every time.)

The graphics are a huge change personally because I've never played a game like this on a PS3 and I'm also sat in front of a decent sized HD TV so it looks great, but I won't be able to judge the game properly until I'm a lot further in and have tuned my cars up enough. Looking forward to getting a Bugatti Veyron, McLaren F1, and the highest tiered Lamborghini and tuning them up properly, at that point I should know what I think of it enough, but it's a decent game so far and should be played quite a bit before I'm done.

Edited by Red Phoenix

Still playing this and think it's a great game. It's nothing like any other Need For Speed before it, and it's clearly on another level when it comes to realism.

There's a track called Nordschleife, (which the real life Nurburgring extends out of to the south.) that's over 20km long and part of a 3-lap endurance race, and it can be hectic at the speeds you need to stay at to get on the podium. Was playing it with an upgraded Lamborghini and felt like I achieved something just by making it to the end 3rd! It definitely pushes you to focus at insane speeds, learn the tracks and how to race decently, etc.

Maybe it's because I haven't played a racing game like it for a long time now, but it's easily a serious advancement from any older Need For Speed game, and it has plenty of life to it. I remember saying that I like to race in my own style and drift around corners, etc, but instead I'm liking the way it pushes you to actually try to race properly to a decent extent too. Will probably go straight onto the 2nd game in the series once I'm done with this one.