You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Guest ShoePiss

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ShoePiss

Tomorrow's smoke :-

IMG_1586.jpg

IMG_1589.jpg

Sockeye Salmon freshly caught from the Columbia River and gutted at the roadside, bought it from local Indians. Sitting in a brine overnight consisting of :-

Kosher Salt

Brown sugar

Lemon pepper

Garlic powder

Onion powder

Soy sauce

Teriyaki sauce

Dried Dill

Tomorrow I'll smoke it using Alder and Cherry woods at about 180F for a few hours, simply can't beat smoked Salmon.

Guest ShoePiss

did this last night, really simple with great results.

Beer can chicken and corn - very American.

Basically stick a half full can of beer up the bum of the chicken so it stands up like in the picture, rub with whatever seasons/spices you want and grill.

IMG_0502.jpg

IMG_0505.jpg

IMG_0503.jpg

stumpy - i just bought a fresh local sockeye salmon for canada day tomorrow.

i might just try and emulate what you've done.

i've only got a smoke box for wood chips, but i might do it on a cedar plank, so as not to copy you exactly.

pictures on thursday, i guess.

Guest ShoePiss
stumpy - i just bought a fresh local sockeye salmon for canada day tomorrow.

i might just try and emulate what you've done.

i've only got a smoke box for wood chips, but i might do it on a cedar plank, so as not to copy you exactly.

pictures on thursday, i guess.

You should probably but that cedar plank in water now, I've done it that way and it catches fire pretty easily! I defo recommend a brine for the salmon beforehand too, it really helps keep the moisture in and depending what you add can really enhance the flavour.

You should probably but that cedar plank in water now, I've done it that way and it catches fire pretty easily! I defo recommend a brine for the salmon beforehand too, it really helps keep the moisture in and depending what you add can really enhance the flavour.

thanks - i'm all over that (it's not my first time). going to do a simple brine like yours (maple/soy/ginger)

my cedar planks are usually fine if soaked for a few hours. i keep a spray bottle handy, just in case.

got an 8 lb ham with bone from the butcher yesterday, and am going to bbq it tonight, something like this....without the hillbilly music and voice over.

[YOUTUBE]LWMKTJ_WSpQ[/YOUTUBE]

any thoughts stumpy ? i'm thinking of doing more of a honey soy mustard glaze and orange juice for liquid.

Guest ShoePiss
disposable%20bbq%20large.jpg

006121.jpg

article-0-017E966D00000578-617_233x264.jpg

cheeseslice.jpg

loaf-of-bread-124307.jpg

daddies.jpg

120927.jpg

gordon-ramsay31.jpg

DONE

The great British bbq, hopefully those burgers and sausages were nuked to a nice charcoal colour. You can never be too careful so it's best to obliterate them to be safe, washed down with shite lager is just the icing on the cake.

• 9 months later...
Guest ShoePiss

First smoke of the year.

Some ribs, bbq baked beans, girlfriend will be baking corn bread (from a packet as she's domestically challenged)

Ribs covered in mustard and a dry rub overnight in the fridge. Smoke uncovered for 3 hours, then foil wrap for 2 hours, unfoil for 1 more hour. Hickory wood chunks, 225F, spraying with apple juice and Glenfiddich every 30 minutes.

BBQ baked beans, used this recipe a few times and it comes out great. I leave out the brown sugar though as I don't like them sweet.

6-8 strips of bacon cut into 1/2 inch squares

1/2 Medium onion, diced

1/2 Bell pepper, diced

1 - 2 Jalapeño Peppers, diced (seeding is optional)

1 - 55 ounce can Bush’s Baked Beans

1-8 ounce can of pineapple chunks, drained

1 Cup Brown Sugar, packed

1 Cup ketchup

1/2 - 1 Tbs. dry (ground) mustard

012.jpg

011-2.jpg

013-1.jpg

Had our first bbq today. Mexican chicken for me and the kids, garlic chicken (she likes it) for the missus, fresh sausages, homemade burgers and all the salady shit. Took the mutt for a walk then sat out with the patio fire lit till about 10 when the famer in the field next to the house started muck spreading!! That is 10 PM!!