You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Transfer League

The 5th Benitel

I know this was mentioned in another thread but i've just been shown this site that shows it all in more detail. It really isn't what you'd expect and raises doubts about the old excuses about being miles behind the mancs in terms of spending.

It also highlights just how amazing a job Arsene Wenger does.

Transfer League

Completely meaningless without wages which constitute a far higher percentage of a football budget than transfers.

Wenger is on course to have spent £75m (5 *15) more than Rafa on wages by the end of the season

I'm bored of hearing about all this stuff, who's spent the most, who has the highest net spend per season yadda yadda yadda. It's just meaningless numbers which can be twisted to suit whatever argument you want.

And do the figures in the sold column include every player or just players who were signed? I'd like to see these figures without home grown players in there. Man Utd's sold column would look quite different without the £20m they got for Beckham for example. Again, it's pretty meaningless but seemingly every variant has been looked at on this subject so what harm would it do? Some boffin could surely knock up a quick table?

I know this was mentioned in another thread but i've just been shown this site that shows it all in more detail. It really isn't what you'd expect and raises doubts about the old excuses about being miles behind the mancs in terms of spending.

Transfer League

interesting but some of the figures are not accurate (as the site states). If we take the mancs as an example i heard they paid over 12m for those 2 young barillian brothers and have spent 16m on these 2 croatian lads. nani was more like 17m.

As for us - torrres at 26.5m?? Lucas at 9m?

The one thing it does point out is what a genius wenger has been. Even though hes lost the plot lately and will go 5 seasons without a trophy.

interesting but some of the figures are not accurate (as the site states). If we take the mancs as an example i heard they paid over 12m for those 2 young barillian brothers and have spent 16m on these 2 croatian lads. nani was more like 17m.

As for us - torrres at 26.5m?? Lucas at 9m?

The one thing it does point out is what a genius wenger has been. Even though hes lost the plot lately and will go 5 seasons without a trophy.

. genius.

Transfer League

Firstly, have you looked at the actual detail, I think there was a swing of about 30m, Lucas is down as 9m IIRC and Torres 26, while their Nani and andersen just 28 when it was repoted 38.

Second, its also minus 12 to 16m cos of teh Robbie sale

Third, WEnger has done a magnificent job

Fourth, UNited already had a good squad but lastly, but by no means least, any site that shows, in particular the spending of our manager in his time there reeks of agenda !

With them spending 17 this window and us recouping 12, they've spent more than us. But even if its level, the reality is that back in 04, we had Gerrard, Carra and Sami, They had a title winning squad which they were able to supplement with teh same money as us, not forgetting, they let go of the likes of Beckham and Van Nistelroy, who brought in alot of money which could be reinvested and therefore wouldnt show up in teh NEt Spend. ie Beckham and Van Nistelroy, meant they had 40m ? to reinvest.

Money isnt everything, granted, but we wanted investment to compete for th e better players and thats as true today as it was when we sold. Just because we disagree with Rafa on things, doesnt change the bias on the playing field were on .

Or put another way, they have Tevez, Berbatov, Ronaldo and Rooney up front, thats 94m worth of talent at the time of buying, Ronaldo would be worth 60m in todays market, Rooney 30 at least. Our entire net spend for the 4 years is about that, give or take 10m.

Does it show money paid in brown envelopes as bungs to agents? Redknapp's teams would - er, allegedly - be right up the top?

What about money to referees?

You don't really have to say alledgedly. He'll threaten to sue, to make out it's all an outrage, and then let it go quietly so he doesn't get bummed everywhere in a courtroom and exposed. Just like with the BBC.

Just so people dont think i was using this as something else to slate Rafa with. I know he had a different situation than Taggert i.e having to build an entire squad. However, i do think it shows he cant claim to have had pretty good financial backing in the past. The club have invested heavily in him in the past and bear in mind he was brought in cos he'd won the Spanish league in similiar circumstances with the financial advantage Barca and Real have.