You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

David Moores

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Going back to the ground. I'd love someone to do a feasability study regarding a possible expansion of the current gorund. Cost, projected loss of reduced capacity and overall potential capacity.

The only reference in terms of cost i remember was when the very first stadium plan was announced, it was said at that time expansion of Anfield was not economically viable. That was when the new ground was going to cost less than £100m and be 60k+.

What kind of an idiot gave Moores the responsibility of controlling Liverpool in the first place? His father or someone else? Just curious...

I think he was already on the board, the Moores family had invested money in both Liverpool and Everton down the years and I think he had the money at the right time to take over as majority shareholder.

Going back to the ground. I'd love someone to do a feasability study regarding a possible expansion of the current gorund. Cost, projected loss of reduced capacity and overall potential capacity.

The only reference in terms of cost i remember was when the very first stadium plan was announced, it was said at that time expansion of Anfield was not economically viable. That was when the new ground was going to cost less than £100m and be 60k+.

When the new ground first came to public attention there was a site - something like Newanfield.com, to convince people that moving ground was the only future option. They mocked up two or three designs of the current ground with the main stand and anfield road end significantly larger. The owners of the site said it was not economically viable to close 2 stands during a season but never came up with any actual figures to state how much money the club would lose or how much the 2 new stands would cost to build or whether it would take more than one season. Like you said there is no way it would cost more than £100M

When the new ground first came to public attention there was a site - something like Newanfield.com, to convince people that moving ground was the only future option. They mocked up two or three designs of the current ground with the main stand and anfield road end significantly larger. The owners of the site said it was not economically viable to close 2 stands during a season but never came up with any actual figures to state how much money the club would lose or how much the 2 new stands would cost to build or whether it would take more than one season. Like you said there is no way it would cost more than £100M

Why close 2 stands in the season. Surely anyone would start with increasing the anny rd. Once thats done look at the main stand and finally adding a third tier to the centenary. Bit by bit. Might take a season or two longer but would minimise capacity loss.

Just add that I also understand that we'd possibly have to lose 2/3 rows at the base to comply with uefa regualtions on pitch size, run off areas and advertising board height.

Proper planning we could have the current anfield at 60k within 5 years at a third of the ocst of the new stadium which will start at 60k. Its a no brainer IMO

Not this old chestnut again?

There was a full feasibility study done by LFC regarding expanding Anfield and the viability of 5 or 6 other sites including Stanley Park.

In blunt terms, with 2 sides out of action ie Main Stand & Anny Road, this would leave 12k seats in the Kop and approx 12k in the Upper & Lower centenary. Thats 24k with all the income it would generate ie about half what we get per match now.

And where would the displaced Main Stand & Anny Road STH's be accomodated never mind compensated for the loss of their ST's during rebuilding the two stands?

Even after all this disruption, it would still leave the Centenary & Kop Stands lagging behind the new stands regarding improved access, sight lines, space etc, etc. Oh, and there's also the small problem of the residents of the streets behind the Main Stand to again be compensated and accomodated once their properties have been knocked down to make way for the large new Main Stand.

In short, its just not economically, never mind socially, a viable option.

I´m with Ratcatcher on this one

Its not just about the extra seats

Its about having infastrucure, a Multi use stadium and much more.

In business terms it has to be a new stadium and weve already lost 5 years this should have been done years ago

A forward thinking chairmen would have bit the bullet in 1990 and yes he might not have kept Souness in a job for so long

In business terms it has to be a new stadium and weve already lost 5 years this should have been done years ago

A forward thinking chairmen would have bit the bullet in 1990 and yes he might not have kept Souness in a job for so long

United did it through the 1990/2000s yet it didn't stop them progressing both on and off the field.

As much as I despise Hicks & Gillett and for what they have done, the new stadium is almost as big a noose around the clubs neck as these two cunts. Even when it built if ever it'll be 20/30 years before we see the benfirt due to the huge cost and repayments. By then who knows who popular the game will be and what state it is in.

We massively missed the boat 10-15 years ago but its still not too late IMO

That's more like it mate.

United did it through the 1990/2000s yet it didn't stop them progressing both on and off the field.

As much as I despise Hicks & Gillett and for what they have done, the new stadium is almost as big a noose around the clubs neck as these two cunts. Even when it built if ever it'll be 20/30 years before we see the benfirt due to the huge cost and repayments. By then who knows who popular the game will be and what state it is in.

Suggest you look at the location of Old Trafford compared to Anfield when trying to compare what they have done to what we should be doing

Filth already had a bigger capacity than us. When they developed the theatre it was 56k. Plus, its built in the middle of an industrial estate so they didnt have any up close residents to re house. They also had a very good youth team come through at that time which saved them spending loads of cash on transfers.

You're right in that we massively missed the boat 10 years ago. Its called lack of foresight by moores.

As I said in my previous post, there are also implications for moving out families and finding them new homes or compensating them. You fail to take into account the financial cost of this.

Also, if we redeveloped, we'd lose upto half our current match day income. Where's that shortfall going to be made up for anything up to 18 months? Where are the displaced STH's going to sit while their stands are pulled down?

Saying it'll be 20 / 30 years before the club sees any benefit from the new stadium is a bit simplistic too.

You're mistaken if you believe it will be a multi use stadium it won't. It's for football only, that's one of the reasons we are allowed to build on Stanley Park.

Let us not give all the credit to our dear mr. moores. It was a group of wonderful iindividuals that have managed to fuck our club up so wonderfully. Lets have some applause for Rick Parry and Gerard Houlier. And just when it seems everything is going to be allright, when moores finally decides to fuck off, enter the yanks who show plenty of promise of continuing the delightful trend of an incredibly incapable board. Thank god Parry has decided to stick around to educate them in the exact science of fucking up LFC.

Filth already had a bigger capacity than us. When they developed the theatre it was 56k. Plus, its built in the middle of an industrial estate so they didnt have any up close residents to re house. They also had a very good youth team come through at that time which saved them spending loads of cash on transfers.

You're right in that we massively missed the boat 10 years ago. Its called lack of foresight by moores.

As I said in my previous post, there are also implications for moving out families and finding them new homes or compensating them. You fail to take into account the financial cost of this.

Also, if we redeveloped, we'd lose upto half our current match day income. Where's that shortfall going to be made up for anything up to 18 months? Where are the displaced STH's going to sit while their stands are pulled down?

Saying it'll be 20 / 30 years before the club sees any benefit from the new stadium is a bit simplistic too.

Thanks for posting that also even though it goes against the grain Martin Edwards was very much the visionary Chairman you could see that in the deal he brokered to sell the club to Sky that would have made them just unbeatable on and off the pitch, fortunately that deal wasnt allowed to go ahead.