You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Best album of the 00's

Karl_b

So what are they?

Some nominations:

Bloc Party - Silent Alarm

A fantastic album. Brilliant musicians with fantastic lyrics, playing original and wonderful music.

Death From Above 1979 - Youre a Woman Im A Machine

Dirty, punky, grungy anthems made with a bass, drums and synth. Innovative and brilliant.

Up the Bracket - Libertines

Once upon a time Doherty and Barat made great music. Raw, loud and clever.

With more time I could write dozens.

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good call on Bloc Party.

I'd add these nominations for the top ten:

Turn on the bright lights and Antics by Interpol

Funeral by The Arcade Fire

Never, Never Land by UNKLE

All three recent Sigur Ros albums: Agaetis Byrjun, Untitled, and Takk.

Finally, the Arctic Monkeys debut album.

But for me it has to be between 'Kid A' and 'Amnesiac'. When judged independently and not based on how good the previous Radiohead stuff was I think they stand out above anything from the last six years. I also think that in thirty years time Kid A in particular will be still seen to be an outstanding piece of work.

Very good call on Bloc Party.

I'd add these nominations for the top ten:

Turn on the bright lights and Antics by Interpol

Funeral by The Arcade Fire

Never, Never Land by UNKLE

All three recent Sigur Ros albums: Agaetis Byrjun, Untitled, and Takk.

Finally, the Arctic Monkeys debut album.

But for me it has to be between 'Kid A' and 'Amnesiac'. When judged independently and not based on how good the previous Radiohead stuff was I think they stand out above anything from the last six years. I also think that in thirty years time Kid A in particular will be still seen to be an outstanding piece of work.

Excellent choices.

I'd also nominate The Features - Exhibit A. A great album of poppy-rock tunes, very upbeat and some real gems on there.

I would have to go for 'Kid A', cracking album, 'Funeral' by Arcade Fire, another cracking album..........and 'Untitled' by Sigur Ros..........................Honest ones for me, not copying Mr Monty.

Bloc Party still suck

..................And The Lucky Pennies 'Champagne Dreams in Cider Pockets' just because I played on it and it took 3 years to make and cost a few bob and those Monkey attacks at the studio were a bitch.

Oh and by the way you can listen to their songs Here :whistle:

I also think The Strokes - Is This It? has to be in there. It was a huge influence on the changing of the modern rock/pop scene.
Agreed, theirs and Kings of Leon's album seem to have a new style. I know they are top of the pops and fashionable, but they still make excellent music nonetheless. I can't think of anything I have enjoyed more then is this it, hmm was Californications 00s?

Bloc Party still suck

I would have to go for 'Kid A', cracking album, 'Funeral' by Arcade Fire, another cracking album..........and 'Untitled' by Sigur Ros..........................Honest ones for me, not copying Mr Monty.

..................And The Lucky Pennies 'Champagne Dreams in Cider Pockets' just because I played on it and it took 3 years to make and cost a few bob and those Monkey attacks at the studio were a bitch.

Their drummer still pisses all over you Pritchard! ;)

There's loads of stuff I really like that I left out because to be the single best album for the last six years is a tough competition. One I just left out of the nominations was Nick Cave with 'Abattoir blues/The lyre of Orpheus'; awesome double album but I just didn't think it had enough to beat a few other albums.

Queens of the Stone age would be scrapping to get into the top ten also.

Great shout by Remmie on Kings of Leon; thier first album is one of my very favourites.

Their drummer still pisses all over you Pritchard! ;)

There's loads of stuff I really like that I left out because to be the single best album for the last six years is a tough competition. One I just left out of the nominations was Nick Cave with 'Abattoir blues/The lyre of Orpheus'; awesome double album but I just didn't think it had enough to beat a few other albums.

Queens of the Stone age would be scrapping to get into the top ten also.

How did you find that out????? thought only me, him and my local laundrette knew we were........oh right you mean drumming, nah hes mega rubbish (that bad I highlighted it!)

Moving on........

The Streets – Original Pirate Material

Elbow - Asleep In The Back

Interpol – Turn On The Bright Lights

Bloc Party – Silent Alarm

Arcade Fire – Funeral

Gorillaz – Demon Days

The White Stripes – Elephant

The Libertines – Up The Bracket

Jay-Z - The Blueprint

Asian Dub Foundation – Community Music

The Coral – The Coral

Eminem – The Marshall Mathers LP

Doves – The Last Broadcast

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory.

Before anyone laughs, I thought it was pretty groundbreaking at the time. Much like The Strokes, they changed a lot of people's thoughts on 'pop' music.

It's a good album, and I own it, but it's not at the same level of quality as a lot of the stuff already mentioned.

I'm almost embarrassed to admit I cannot think of any really good "mainstream(ish)" albums for this list. However..

System of a Down - Hypnotize

The Cure - The Cure

Rammstein - Rosenrot

Radiohead - Hail to the Thief

Ian Brown - Solarized

being just few of the more recent albums I've enjoyed.