You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pardew

Brownie

Although I wasn't yet born in 1990 I remember how awful that day was. One of those stand-out shit days over the years, along with the Wimbledon final.

By the way, talking of FA Cup history, WHERE'S NP?

Please never say that on here again as i feel fooking ancient after reading that.

Sorry guys I don't know what this is (I was only 11 in 1990) :(

[EDIT: wait, was he in the Palace side that beat us in the FA Cup semi? I cried my eyes out that day]

I was there (10 years older than you). I prayed to the Almighty (at 2-1 down) and he answered my prayers as 'Macca' and 'Digger' put us 3-2 up.

Then it went wrong, horribly wrong. We lost to one of the worst teams I've ever seen us play. I think that day (and the 1988 FA Cup Final) damaged the aura of invinicibility we had built up over the previous 15 to 20 seasons. Teams could see that we struggled with the high ball and so pumped it in at every opporunity.

That is what Palace did in the 2nd half of that game and we couldn't deal with it.

An awful day capped by Pardew (who at the start of the season claimed was going to give the likes of McMahon a kicking) scoring right in front of me.

The origins of the Manc domination during the 90's can be traced back to that day. The 1990 FA Cup Final Win and the Cup Winners Cup triumph the following season was the catalyst, in my opinion, for them. The confidence gained, and more importantly the time it bought Ferguson, was instrumental in what followed.

Had we got to the Cup Final we'd have beaten the Mancs having taken the p*ss out of them at Old Trafford the previous month. That was the day 'Digger' scored twice, Whelan chipped Grobbelaar from outside the area and we sang "Fergie Must Stay".

Boy did we regret the last bit.

The origins of the Manc domination during the 90's can be traced back to that day. The 1990 FA Cup Final Win and the Cup Winners Cup triumph the following season was the catalyst, in my opinion, for them. The confidence gained, and more importantly the time it bought Ferguson, was instrumental in what followed.

Actually our demise in the 90's is probably my fault. I went to live abroad in 1990, not returning until 1996. I immediately got us to a cup final, but having been away my fashion sense was dodgy, and everyone wore shit suits that cost us the day.

Its been a slow process since then, but starting a family in 2000 made me wise up a bit and 2001 was a great year. Then the kids starting taking more and more of my time and money, and I lost concentration.

In 2004 I had a knee injury and hung up my own boots up. This has allowed me to focus more on Anfield, and I think you'll agree 2005 ended well.

Hopefully now I'll be able to build on the progress made to date, and I think I had a pretty good day yesterday. :party:

I was there (10 years older than you). I prayed to the Almighty (at 2-1 down) and he answered my prayers as 'Macca' and 'Digger' put us 3-2 up.

Then it went wrong, horribly wrong. We lost to one of the worst teams I've ever seen us play. I think that day (and the 1988 FA Cup Final) damaged the aura of invinicibility we had built up over the previous 15 to 20 seasons. Teams could see that we struggled with the high ball and so pumped it in at every opporunity.

That is what Palace did in the 2nd half of that game and we couldn't deal with it.

An awful day capped by Pardew (who at the start of the season claimed was going to give the likes of McMahon a kicking) scoring right in front of me.

Had we got to the Cup Final we'd have beaten the Mancs having taken the p*ss out of them at Old Trafford the previous month. That was the day 'Digger' scored twice, Whelan chipped Grobbelaar from outside the area and we sang "Fergie Must Stay".

Boy did we regret the last bit.

I remember them equalising straight from the kick-off at the start of the 2nd half. And then the aerial assualt commenced. Very similar to Wimbledon 2 years previously. Should have played them off the park but instead to succumbed to their physical nature. Revenge should be sweet.

Does this mean we're going to get endless clips of the Palace 4-3 in the run up to the FA Cup final? Whoope-fucking-do.

Definitely. Even before the West Ham-Boro semi TV here (carrying signals from Stars Sports Asia) has already showed the clips of that game.

At the time I was watching the game live in my sitting room full of confidence. Then I became more and more nervous. And bang! it happened.

As someone here has said, Rafa is really good at exorcising the ghost. The Manc in the FA Cup, the Brum this season, etc. So let him do it again this time. :party: