You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Desktop vs. Laptop

Street Preacher

I'm thinking of buying a new computer soon,but i'm not sure whether to get another desktop pc or go for a laptop.

I only really use my pc to surf the net and to store a bit of music and some video files on.I'm not a big games player on my pc either.

So any suggestions would be wealcome.

I have a desktop because i sit at it a lot and can borrow a laptop from work if I want. The laptop is good if you set up a wireless network and then can just connect wherever you are. That rules. You can get one with TV out and watch stuff on your TV direct off the laptop as well, which is nice.

get yerself a laptop /mac

I've both and I set up a wireless router at home of my net connection so I have wireless BB connection all over the house ...it rocks .Can sit inthe living room watchin the footie and have the laptop sittin on the arm of the chair...class

Desktop is always the way to go. You can repair or upgrade it yourself which you can never do with a laptop. I have same base unit since '98 and have built it up myself at a fraction of the cost of a new pc.

Laptop = trendiness.

Desktop = greater functionality.

I would have a desktop everytime unless I was travelling a lot due to work.

Guest rushscored4

I'm frigging confused now because my laptop is not on my lap but on top of my desk and my desktop is not on top of my desk but under it - next to my lap...

;)

Laptops allow you to post on TLW (and other leisure internet activities) without having to be anti-social when the Mrs is watching crap on the box. You are in the room to do the "yes dear", "no dear", "yes she does sound a cow" stuff that husbands have a duty to do. The downside is that when relatives arrive that you don't like you can't pretend to be "working" in the other room quite so easily.

You can also, with a wireless network, take the online versions of the Sunday papers into the toilet with you - but they aren't as useful as the printed versions should there be a shortage of toilet paper in there.

Got to go wireless.

I'm thinking of buying a new computer soon,but i'm not sure whether to get another desktop pc or go for a laptop.

I only really use my pc to surf the net and to store a bit of music and some video files on.I'm not a big games player on my pc either.

So any suggestions would be wealcome.

Most of the differences between the two have already been covered, but:

One major difference is you you can get much larger screens if you go for a desktop. For example, if your eyesight is not 20/20 that is something to consider. Or if you just like big screens. :smile:

The same goes if you decide a laptop is the way to go. The difference between an XGA/SXGA* screen is massive. I would advice you to try/view both before you make a decision. A SXGA screen will fit much more info on you screen, but with smaller print. You can change font sizes on an XGA screen as well, but they look nowhere near as good as on SXGA. There simply is no substitution for real resolution.

You mentioned video files. If you're planning to download/view HDTV to some extent, I would consider a widescreen laptop.

*xga -> 1024x768

sxga -> 1400x1050