You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Kendall seethes at Liverpool in Europe

terry mac

News

Kendall seethes at Liverpool in Europe Aug 8 2005

By Paul Walker Daily Post Correspondent

FORMER Everton manager Howard Kendall has launched an astonishing attack on the decision to allow Liverpool to defend their Champions League crown.

As Everton prepare to make their first appearance in the European Cup for 34 years, Kendall has once again revealed the deep bitterness that remains over the way the Goodison side were treated by UEFA when England's clubs were banned from Europe.

Kendall's team were not allowed to compete in the European Cup after winning the championship in 1985 and 1987 following Liverpool's part in the Heysel disaster.

And Kendall insists Everton should have been given a wild card by UEFA - just as Champions League holders Liverpool have been this term - when English sides were eventually allowed back into the European Cup in 1990.

"Liverpool have finished fifth but have been given a wild card even though the ruling was that the top four qualified. But there was no wild card for Everton when English clubs were re-admitted to Europe. Instead Liverpool were the first club back in.

"Everton should have been given a place then after being denied as champions. It would not have benefited me at the time - I had left the club by then."

Manchester United and Aston Villa were the first teams to be re-admitted when UEFA lifted the ban on English clubs, with Liverpool barred until the 1991-92 season. Everton's only appearance in Europe since then was in the 1995-96 Cup Winners' Cup..

Kendall has chosen to reopen old wounds in the week that the Merseyside neighbours are both playing third qualifying round ties, with Everton at home to Villarreal tomorrow and Liverpool away to CSKA Sofia the following night.

Kendall said: "I do not agree with Liverpool being in the Champions League now even though they won it. The rules should not have been changed just like that."

Kendall believes UEFA officials were banking on a Liverpool defeat by AC Milan in last season's Istanbul final so they would effectively have had no decision to make as Rafael Benitez's side finished fifth in the Premiership - outside the qualification places.

"If they had wanted to change the rules for next season as a result of that, fair enough but I believe UEFA kept delaying a decision when Liverpool reached the final in the hope they would lose," he said..

"If that had happened they would not have a decision to make.

"I am not bitter at being denied the chance to take Everton into the European Cup. How can I be when people lost their lives at Heysel?

"That puts everything into perspective but I was envious when they were the first team back in when the ban was lifted. "Everton should have fought harder at the time because they should have been the first in Europe from England after the ban. They should have changed the rules for Everton as they did in the summer for Liverpool."

Everton now face a very tough tie with Spain's third-best club.

Click here please

"Kendall launches bitter attack on UEFA"

Can't see him throw alcohol away can you?

Love this bit...

Dave, sort your drinking buddy out ;)

They should start a programme modelled on Bum Fights. It could be a celebrity Bum Fighters Vs Bum Fights. The prize would be a six pack of Carlsberg Special Brew. We would see how far Howie was prepared to go in order to get a drink. Even if it was the nectar of the Red Shite Murderers. I reckon Howie would be well up for it.

1051486170.jpg Vs bumfights.jpg

It'd be well ace. However, as is usual with Howie, it wouldn't be long before he got banned. The government wouldn't have any of it.

Could you just imagine the hatred now if the FA had made what uefa called the correct and logical decision

They'd be war on mersyside, i hate to see the Liverpool/Everton relationship go the way of Spurs/Arsenal & Celtic/Rangers but its defo gong that way which is so sad for someone bought up in they years of the friendly derby where a dad could take a blue & red son to the game as one family and this was at the time when there was a big hooligan problem

it really is so sad

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, as someone pointed out to me, alcohol has seriously fucked with his memory -

-----------------------

The old drunk Kendall is whistling a slightly different tune to the one he was whistling after Liverpool had won (in his Echo column):

Quote:

"REDS SUCCESS CAN INSPIRE EVERTON'S BID"

"You have to say well done to the Liverpool management and the players.

I cannot recall such a big game ever being as dramatic as that,especially against Italian opposition who are renowned for the defensive qualities. I really hope they compete in next seasons Champions League competition. They deserve the chance to defend their title".

Article source: http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0400evertonfc/z0100howardkendall/tm_objectid=15565186&method=full&siteid=50061&page=2&headline=bellamy-the-man-for-blues-name_page.html

Hmmmmmmmmmmm, as someone pointed out to me, alcohol has seriously fucked with his memory -

-----------------------

The old drunk Kendall is whistling a slightly different tune to the one he was whistling after Liverpool had won (in his Echo column):

Quote:

"REDS SUCCESS CAN INSPIRE EVERTON'S BID"

"You have to say well done to the Liverpool management and the players.

I cannot recall such a big game ever being as dramatic as that,especially against Italian opposition who are renowned for the defensive qualities. I really hope they compete in next seasons Champions League competition. They deserve the chance to defend their title".

Article source: http://icliverpool.icnetwork.co.uk/0400evertonfc/z0100howardkendall/tm_objectid=15565186&method=full&siteid=50061&page=2&headline=bellamy-the-man-for-blues-name_page.html

Oh, good find!

What fucking irresponsible comments they are by the sad old twat!!! Heysel had fuck all to do with Everton, no-one involved with their club was dragged through the mud because of it, and other English clubs prospered even though they weren't allowed in Europe. But this yellow livered twat chooses to ignore all that and seek to increase the already high levels of animosity between the two clubs.

Seriously, you can't blame Everton fans for being like they are when they have got their most succesful manager ever coming out with this type of shit. It is a disgrace and someone needs to have a word with him.

Prick.

Oh I see, if they'd have had a wildcard entry in 1990 they'd have won it no problem wouldn't they. They are such a parody its untrue.

Funny how you don't hear Wimbledon, Coventry etc moaning about themselves missing out on Europe & it being responsible for the state they're in now.

Just curious but can someone based in Liverpool let me know what the People are doing tomorrow night? Only with tickets still available for all parts of Woodison it appears they're not going to the match.

That was Uefa's fault. They've had 20 years since Heysel to tell the shite how to sell tickets and they still failed to do so! It's a conspiracy by the so called "big" clubs against the plucky peoples club.

That was Uefa's fault. They've had 20 years since Heysel to tell the shite how to sell tickets and they still failed to do so! It's a conspiracy by the so called "big" clubs against the plucky peoples club.

Havent heard about that before. Anyone care to enlighten me?

Apparently these are the reasons for Everton being so bitter. Straight from blue kipper:

because we wer the best team in europe at the time, after heysel a lot of players left us an we ended up out of pocket an without bein able to advance in europe to be the elite team. thats how i see it anyway. thus resulting in the sad demise of our beloved football club. untill now that is!

march on the mighty toffees.

What deluded twats they really are.

Apparently these are the reasons for Everton being so bitter. Straight from blue kipper:

because we wer the best team in europe at the time' date=' after heysel a lot of players left us an we ended up out of pocket an without bein able to advance in europe to be the elite team. thats how i see it anyway. thus resulting in the sad demise of our beloved football club. untill now that is!

march on the mighty toffees.

What deluded twats they really are.[/quote']

Anyone else remember Graeme Sharp signing for Barcelona?

Derek Mountfield did join AC Milan didn't he?

And that Bosman ruling that came in in 1985, really caught Everton unawares that one, lost a lot of players on frees.

Guest L11FC
Anyone else remember Graeme Sharp signing for Barcelona?

Derek Mountfield did join AC Milan didn't he?

And that Bosman ruling that came in in 1985, really caught Everton unawares that one, lost a lot of players on frees.

Can someone enlighten me please?

Was Kendall leaving for Barcelona and did he sell Lineker to them only to see Venables become manager and he then joined Bilbao? Was it for european glory or money?

Did Gary Stevens and Trevor Steven join Rangers for European glory or money?

Did they (Harvey/Directors) fail to capitalise on the 1987 title success by buying crap or not buying enough?

Are Evertons management from top to bottom the reason for Everton's failure to this day?

Arsenal/mancs/Liverpool, have they done well considering?

Is it all Liverpools fault?

??????????????????

As Arsenal have proved, the best team in England is not always the best team in Europe..........We used to be the best team in both, currently we unfortunately have to settle for only being the best team in Europe!

in 1985 they won the CWC and we got to the final of the European Cup and would we may have won under a different set of circumstances.

They had a good team then but the club was still being run appallingly and if they wanted to stay at the top they should have given Howie whatefver he wanted to stay but the tight gits sold out and then sold there best players

They should take personal responsibillity for there own actions that destroyed there football club

in 1985 they won the CWC and we got to the final of the European Cup and would we may have won under a different set of circumstances.

They had a good team then but the club was still being run appallingly and if they wanted to stay at the top they should have given Howie whatefver he wanted to stay but the tight gits sold out and then sold there best players

They should take personal responsibillity for there own actions that destroyed there football club

We would of won in 1985 under different circumstances and then beat Everton the next year in 86 to win the treble, Everton talk about Heysel like it only affected them, what about us aswell? Our 88 team would of given van bastens Milan a good game, we could of won a few more European Cups giving us the continuation to dominate in the 90s aswell, it let other clubs catch up with us if anything

and you don't hear Coventry 87, Luton 88 or Wimbledon 88 complaining about not being in Europe, you don't hear Sheff Utd fans complaining about the dodgy Everton-Wimbledon game in 94, which they have never recovered from

Moyes at it again last night - mentioning how they missed out 20 years ago.

Had to laugh when he said that apart from Inter they had drawn the toughest side they could have got - he can't forget the 80s but he has already forgotten that he was shitting himself last week at the prospect of drawing us.

We would of won in 1985 under different circumstances and then beat Everton the next year in 86 to win the treble, Everton talk about Heysel like it only affected them, what about us aswell? Our 88 team would of given van bastens Milan a good game, we could of won a few more European Cups giving us the continuation to dominate in the 90s aswell, it let other clubs catch up with us if anything

and you don't hear Coventry 87, Luton 88 or Wimbledon 88 complaining about not being in Europe, you don't hear Sheff Utd fans complaining about the dodgy Everton-Wimbledon game in 94, which they have never recovered from

All completely irrelevant, what was important about Heysel was that 39 people died and their families suffered more than any football club not being in Europe for 5 or 6 years. Thats the reason it really irritates me when the blue sh*te go on about it like it happened to THEM........disgusts me!

All completely irrelevant, what was important about Heysel was that 39 people died and their families suffered more than any football club not being in Europe for 5 or 6 years. Thats the reason it really irritates me when the blue sh*te go on about it like it happened to THEM........disgusts me!

Spot on that.