You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Why we need a 20-goal a season striker...

d.k.E.

Anyone know when he's back anyway?

I think he's back today mate although I might be wrong.

As for Garcia UTM, his best position in my opinion is just behind the striker. These days that's known as the '2nd striker', or playing 'in the hole'.

The only position's he has ever played for us is there, or wide.

Do you understand now?

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Same as Dalglish, Morientes, Litmanen not MacManaman, Scholes and Gazza........

Mcmanaman was a winger with a free role. Scholes and Gazza attacking central midfielders.

Garcia is neither, he's in the Bergkamp, Litmanen et al ilk, but he can do a job out wide.

I think he's back today mate although I might be wrong.

As for Garcia UTM, his best position in my opinion is just behind the striker. These days that's known as the '2nd striker', or playing 'in the hole'.

The only position's he has ever played for us is there, or wide.

Do you understand now?

No need to be flipant........

If playing in the hole is described as a second striker then fine, I do understand but I still don't see that as being a striker. As Nick says, "THIS IS MY OPINON, YOU CAN EITHER AGREE WITH IT, DEBATE IT OR WHISTLE DIXIE BUT IT IS MY OPINION"

Mcmanaman was a winger with a free role. Scholes and Gazza attacking central midfielders.

Garcia is neither, he's in the Bergkamp, Litmanen et al ilk, but he can do a job out wide.

Sorry but again, thats about opinion, I'd say Garcia is more of a Gazza/Scholes positionally than a Bergkamp/Litmanen, but then in all honesty there isn't much between the two, maybe its because I see him as being a good attacking midfielder and not that good a striker!

Sorry but again, thats about opinion, I'd say Garcia is more of a Gazza/Scholes positionally than a Bergkamp/Litmanen, but then in all honesty there isn't much between the two, maybe its because I see him as being a good attacking midfielder and not that good a striker!

You're right - there is a fine line. Garcia is not a striker, but he also isn't an attacking midfielder (although he can do a job).

If you look at the goals he scores, they mostly come from central areas. Even though he starts out wide he drifts into dangerous positions and get's goals that way. However I think he's a bit wasted because he has to do too much defending out there and his passing can let him down in dangerous areas. If he plays just off the main striker then he is permanently in his most dangerous area and he can also afford to be creative with his passing.

Just my opinion of course.

Oh and the 'banging the head against the brick wall' smilie IS being flippant ;)

You're right - there is a fine line. Garcia is not a striker, but he also isn't an attacking midfielder (although he can do a job).

If you look at the goals he scores, they mostly come from central areas. Even though he starts out wide he drifts into dangerous positions and get's goals that way. However I think he's a bit wasted because he has to do too much defending out there and his passing can let him down in dangerous areas. If he plays just off the main striker then he is permanently in his most dangerous area and he can also afford to be creative with his passing.

Oh and the 'banging the head against the brick wall' smilie IS being flippant ;)

agree 100%...........at last :wallbutt: ;)

Well just got off the phone with Rafa and finally got Clarification for you both, he's not a winger, he's not an Attacking midfielder and he's not a second striker, Apparently he's "A BETWEEN THE LINES PLAYER" hope that clarifies everything for you both :D

I'd take Owen back. Fingers and toes counting and the suction cups on a giant arkentouthuis squid and thre would still not be enough 'counting bits' left that amount to the total of times 'the little disloyal didn't sign a contract England loving Sven Goran-loving midget' bailed us out.

Where would he fit in, with regrds to Rafa's plans, system, etc...

To paraphrase analagously to Shankly, 'We'll discuss options/possibilities after the keeper picks the ball out of the net'

Hey, this is great. One of my first posts and is has already generated some of the characteristic postings that make this forum what it is: 4 pages of posts, abuse, arguements on positions, and gossip and rumour...

Whilst I value the debate on Garcia's position, can I remind you of my original point - that we need a 20 goals a season player (in the prem) to close the gap. Now I dont care if Garcia play in his hole, up a mound or up his arse if he gets them, but he wont. Neither will Crouch, Morientes and nor, although this is more contentious, will Cisse. There are only a few players who do now: van Horseface (probably), Henry (consistently), A.N. Other who takes penalties from some bottom-half team that is probably relegated but will be hailed as the great white hope for the national team before disappearing (Andy Johnson)....and Michael Owen. Who buys him will get this return (IMHO)

Hey, this is great. One of my first posts and is has already generated some of the characteristic postings that make this forum what it is: 4 pages of posts, abuse, arguements on positions, and gossip and rumour...

Whilst I value the debate on Garcia's position, can I remind you of my original point - that we need a 20 goals a season player (in the prem) to close the gap. Now I dont care if Garcia play in his hole, up a mound or up his arse if he gets them, but he wont. Neither will Crouch, Morientes and nor, although this is more contentious, will Cisse. There are only a few players who do now: van Horseface (probably), Henry (consistently), A.N. Other who takes penalties from some bottom-half team that is probably relegated but will be hailed as the great white hope for the national team before disappearing (Andy Johnson)....and Michael Owen. Who buys him will get this return (IMHO)

RVN is past it, Slur can lead it to water but it won't drink.

I think Cisse has 20 in him.

I'll have 10 nicker with you for the HJC or AN other charity, that Cisse bags 20 league goals as long as we don't sign Owen!

Assume you meant me? Nothing would please me more to lose this bet, but you're on for 20 goals in the Premiership from Cisse. As this is such a fine board, the £10 goes to supporting this site...agreed? But did he look like that kind of player last night? Good he scored one, but should/ would have got another (when played in by Gerrard) if he is a 20+ man, and could have got two last week as well. Like I say, there is nothing like hindsight and we will have to wait and see, but when it gets to those long winter nights of despair in Jan/Feb and we are still only doing 1-1's with Charlton/ Bolton/ Wigan at home despite hogging possession, screaming out for someone to snatch a goal in the 89th minute, it may be too late for us to get Owen and we may regret missing this opportunity...(god I am pessimistic arent I?? :sniff: )

Assume you meant me? Nothing would please me more to lose this bet, but you're on for 20 goals in the Premiership from Cisse. As this is such a fine board, the £10 goes to supporting this site...agreed? But did he look like that kind of player last night? Good he scored one, but should/ would have got another (when played in by Gerrard) if he is a 20+ man, and could have got two last week as well. Like I say, there is nothing like hindsight and we will have to wait and see, but when it gets to those long winter nights of despair in Jan/Feb and we are still only doing 1-1's with Charlton/ Bolton/ Wigan at home despite hogging possession, screaming out for someone to snatch a goal in the 89th minute, it may be too late for us to get Owen and we may regret missing this opportunity...(god I am pessimistic arent I?? :sniff: )

Okay mate your on. I'll put it the sticky betting thread later on.