You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Fat boy decides to "risk" his injury(s)

Gav

Kewell won't play without his healer

By David Lewis

April 30, 2005

HARRY Kewell has handed an unprecedented ultimatum to Football Federation Australia, insisting he won't play in June's Confederations Cup in Germany unless he is accompanied by the healer he credits with rescuing him from injury hell.

The Liverpool midfielder's desire to enlist Spanish physio Lorenzo Buenaventura puts him on a collision course with the game's rulers who have a policy which generally precludes outside medical intervention,

Though no official request has yet been made to FFA, it is believed Kewell is unwilling to compromise on an issue he sees as central to his well-being and career longevity.

Kewell paid $60,000 of his own money to fly the Dutch physio Andre van Alphen over to Australia to treat his troublesome groin last October - and he has credited Buenaventura with re-balancing his battered body.

After a five-minute cameo for Liverpool in Thursday's 0-0 Champions League draw with Chelsea, Kewell - back in action after seven weeks out with a groin injury - said: "My recovery is down to Lorenzo.

"He's fantastic and I've been flying to Spain to get treated by him for four weeks now. It's been a massive help.

"I'm finally feeling a fair bit better." Kewell will continue to undergo treatment from Buenaventura in the immediate future in a bid to reduce the risk of a relapse.

John Boultbee, FFA's high-performance manager, won't be drawn on Kewell's bid to bend the rules until an approach is made through his manager Bernie Mandic.

"There is a policy on such matters but there is no need to make a determination until Harry makes his feelings plain to us," he said.

"We're pleased he's playing again. It's very positive for him and hopefully his injury problems are over."

Kewell, 26, told a Socceroos teammate of his plan to bring Buenaventura to Germany. "Harry wants to play at the Confederations Cup but is keen to have the Spaniard with him," the player said. "I don't know if Harry is willing to compromise because he believes his health's at stake."

Buenaventura is employed by Spanish second division side Cadiz and has treated other Liverpool stars - including midfielder Luis Garcia.

He has used body-balancing manipulations and deep tissue massages on Kewell, who was told by his club he would need surgery. London-based Socceroos physio Les Gelis has been monitoring Kewell closely but has been granted only limited access by Liverpool.

So is all this just plain bollocks and he's been alright all the time ?

Me thinks no.

People are way to quick to judge and harsh.

I reckon he has got a niggling injury but hasn't got the mental strength to play through it.Most players would play and see if the problem cured itself or meant surgery.He seems to be afraid to push it to a conclusion.

Flights: $3000

Treatment:....erm.......$57,000

What the fuck was he treating him with, liquidised diamonds or something??

It's "only" £25 000, it's quite easily spent on medical treatment. In America it'd cost way more than that still. However, he's still a sponger.