You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Klopp: We are still on a learning curve

TLW

Jurgen Klopp says it has been a tough week full of lessons that he hopes his players can benefit from in the long run.

After last season’s campaign which was undoubtedly a failure compared to the high standards that Liverpool hold themselves to, there was question marks over what we would see this season especially with a changing of the guard in the midfield and a lot of experience departing.

It has been a commendable start in the league with just one defeat in the most contentious of fashion to Tottenham and sitting just three points off the top.

Likewise in the Europa League, even with a much rotated squad, the level of play has for the most part been a couple of levels above their opponents.

This past week however has seen some ghosts of last season return, producing below average performances away from home against highly motivated opposition who are up for the battle right from the kickoff and the visitors have been unable to match that energy.

It is something that needs rectifying if Liverpool has desires to fight for honours this season and the manager admitted that it is still a work in progress as the Echo reported.

klopp4_600.jpg

“Generally we are in a positive situation and it is important to learn to deal with that. There has been a lot of praise. There have been a lot of comments. I am happy with that for the team and individuals. But in these moments you have to be there.

"It really feels games like Toulouse and Luton are a real learning curve, and not just because we are away. It was a similar atmosphere (at both games). That should not be a problem. We had that at Newcastle, for example, a real atmosphere (when Liverpool won 2-1). We have to learn. Is it part of the learning process? Yes. But it still feels not great.”

The travel sickness in the league which haunted the Reds for much of last season has showed some signs of picking up with that Tottenham defeat the only one in six games along with two wins and three draws.

But Klopp knows that depending on home form to carry the heavy load, (currently a 100% record both domestically and in Europe) is not sustainable throughout a long campaign if they want to fight on all fronts.

“We can be a really good team. We have shown that. We have shown what we can be. But I want it now.

“We cannot have what happened against Toulouse) We were not aggressive enough. It was as easy as that. They were much more aggressive than us. Yes, they play at home. Yes, they have their crowd. But now if we are thinking we need Anfield - we need Anfield anyway - Brentford will come and they be physical and we have to be ready.”

View full article

• Upvote 1

It’s always been the case, at all levels of football, that you have to first meet and surpass the effort or challenge from your opponents, then usually your skill/superior level should win the day.

A “better” team having a day off will be beaten by a “lesser” team playing out of their skin. That’s what FA Cup shocks are about typically.

The term “mentality monsters” was coined when we were meeting and overcoming every challenge, pretty much.

We need the players to be in that frame of mind for a start.

• Upvote 1

Was out on Thursday so have only seen highlights, but the description of us ' being unable to match Luton's energy ' is complete bollocks. We walked all over them without even playing well and could easily have beaten them 4-0. We got  rope-a-doped a couple of times on the break, that's it from Luton.

21 hours ago, sir roger said:

Was out on Thursday so have only seen highlights, but the description of us ' being unable to match Luton's energy ' is complete bollocks. We walked all over them without even playing well and could easily have beaten them 4-0. We got  rope-a-doped a couple of times on the break, that's it from Luton.

Learning would mean we put an end to the rope-a-dope but it seems its still very much a part of our game. We are easy to hurt on the break. We have energy and legs in midfield now but even they can't cope with how we set up tactically. It's a massive flaw in our game I can't understand why it's a necessary one. 

1 hour ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Learning would mean we put an end to the rope-a-dope but it seems its still very much a part of our game. We are easy to hurt on the break. We have energy and legs in midfield now but even they can't cope with how we set up tactically. It's a massive flaw in our game I can't understand why it's a necessary one. 

So your saying they way we set up not only makes it hard for us to attack but hard for us to defend too? 

1 hour ago, Reckoner said:

So your saying they way we set up not only makes it hard for us to attack but hard for us to defend too? 

Yeah. I think we make the pitch too small in one area and give the opposition miles of space to run into if they intercept one of our passes.  Theres obviously reasons for why we do what we do I just don't see what the massive pay off is when from the foundation up we have vastly superior players to most of the league to start with.

21 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Yeah. I think we make the pitch too small in one area and give the opposition miles of space to run into if they intercept one of our passes.  Theres obviously reasons for why we do what we do I just don't see what the massive pay off is when from the foundation up we have vastly superior players to most of the league to start with.

I agree, I can only think/hope it will become clearer when we click.