You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City (A) - 12:30pm, Sat 9th Sep 2017 - Citizen's caned.

Trumo

Fanchester adds value on here. He has fair views, says his piece, is respectful, and it all makes the whole thing better when it can be like that. Obviously some opposition fans are on a wind up, but this isn't that.

Today's red card changed the game and we can debate it, but the ref gave it, and Mane gave him good reason to give it.

We can all point at other incidents where we either got the rub of the green or we were hard done by. It's football and it has always been like this!

We were well beaten today, no complaints from me. The key is how we bounce back. The season has only just begun. We are into the CL proper and we've seen a high high against Arsenal and a low low against Man City. Things will settle down. We are better than we were able to show today.

We always look iffy after the international break. Jurgen will get them on the training pitch and it will come together again.

I go on holiday to the same place at least once a year for a dozen years, know and older fella and his lad who eventually moved there. His Mrs is a Manc and his son and him support City, never very fervently until the money came. Their attitude has changed drastically over the years and a sense of gratitude and luck they had being bought by a country was obvious. That in the last few years has turned to entitlement.

They are from Bath originally, big Rugby fans, fucking clueless about the club they support. They think wearing a Colin Bell t- shirt and having a Blue Moon ringtone makes them relevant.

I educated them when I was pissed one night about their team, they didn't particularly like it, I thought it was funny.

My point is this is the modern game in all it's pathetic, clueless and entitled grandeur from fans of most clubs, ours included. Know a lot of City fans who are the same.

I know Fanchester you have supported them for a long time and I wondered what you think of the entitled fans. We were criticised ourselves for acting entitled over many years, although ours was earned in blood, sweat and tears.

Big question that!

Everything we criticised Liverpool and United over (the foreign fans / tourist / fan boys) is now happening to us. It's inevitable really, that once you start growing, you get new foreign fans, and you get the next generation of young kids following you - when they didn't do previously.

We've traditionally attracted fans who are drawn to the underdog, but now we are drawing fans who are attracted to the favourites, and thus you get a different type of fan.

I don't know about the entitlement issue, I think we have the same mix of fans as most clubs - some really decent ones, some total morons and some tourists. I can't speak for all City fans but I would say a fair few do appreciate how we got lucky, and how of course, money has brought us more success, but we also believe that money's been influencing the game since day one. We're seeing the best football we've ever seen and enjoying it while we can. It won't last forever, nothing ever does.

I'm sure there's a fair few idiotic City fans who are all too willing to brag about the money and mouth off to opposition fans. I've heard a few myself, but those are the morons every club has.

On a wider note - the whole game has changed, and whilst it's a nicer and safer environment to watch football these days, it's also a more sterile one. I don't think that's down to City, I think it's down to the process of following the American model, where sport is also entertainment - and it's becoming more showbiz than sport.

It's my firm belief that if you support Liverpool, or United or to a much lesser extent City, you are not experiencing the normal world of football. In the normal world, your team never wins anything. As such, we are all spoilt brats supporting the clubs towards the very top of the pyramid, and we could all learn a lot from fans who attend lousy stadiums, with lousy players and no hope of ever winning a thing. Supporting Liverpool or City is easy by comparison and you can imagine how an Accrington Stanley fan might read these forums and be laughing their socks off at the woe of having 'only' spent 30m on a player, or threatening not to attend more games until the manager is sacked etc.

We really do come across as living in a bubble to most of the wider footballing world (a world that many consider 'beneath us')

I go on holiday to the same place at least once a year for a dozen years, know and older fella and his lad who eventually moved there. His Mrs is a Manc and his son and him support City, never very fervently until the money came. Their attitude has changed drastically over the years and a sense of gratitude and luck they had being bought by a country was obvious. That in the last few years has turned to entitlement.

They are from Bath originally, big Rugby fans, fucking clueless about the club they support. They think wearing a Colin Bell t- shirt and having a Blue Moon ringtone makes them relevant.

I educated them when I was pissed one night about their team, they didn't particularly like it, I thought it was funny.

My point is this is the modern game in all it's pathetic, clueless and entitled grandeur from fans of most clubs, ours included. Know a lot of City fans who are the same.

I know Fanchester you have supported them for a long time and I wondered what you think of the entitled fans. We were criticised ourselves for acting entitled over many years, although ours was earned in blood, sweat and tears.

Plenty on here who would happily become the very same in their desire for FSG to go

Big question that!

Everything we criticised Liverpool and United over (the foreign fans / tourist / fan boys) is now happening to us. It's inevitable really, that once you start growing, you get new foreign fans, and you get the next generation of young kids following you - when they didn't do previously.

We've traditionally attracted fans who are drawn to the underdog, but now we are drawing fans who are attracted to the favourites, and thus you get a different type of fan.

I don't know about the entitlement issue, I think we have the same mix of fans as most clubs - some really decent ones, some total morons and some tourists. I can't speak for all City fans but I would say a fair few do appreciate how we got lucky, and how of course, money has brought us more success, but we also believe that money's been influencing the game since day one. We're seeing the best football we've ever seen and enjoying it while we can. It won't last forever, nothing ever does.

I'm sure there's a fair few idiotic City fans who are all too willing to brag about the money and mouth off to opposition fans. I've heard a few myself, but those are the morons every club has.

On a wider note - the whole game has changed, and whilst it's a nicer and safer environment to watch football these days, it's also a more sterile one. I don't think that's down to City, I think it's down to the process of following the American model, where sport is also entertainment - and it's becoming more showbiz than sport.

It's my firm belief that if you support Liverpool, or United or to a much lesser extent City, you are not experiencing the normal world of football. In the normal world, your team never wins anything. As such, we are all spoilt brats supporting the clubs towards the very top of the pyramid, and we could all learn a lot from fans who attend lousy stadiums, with lousy players and no hope of ever winning a thing. Supporting Liverpool or City is easy by comparison and you can imagine how an Accrington Stanley fan might read these forums and be laughing their socks off at the woe of having 'only' spent 30m on a player, or threatening not to attend more games until the manager is sacked etc.

We really do come across as living in a bubble to most of the wider footballing world (a world that many consider 'beneath us')

Good post.

Losing 5-0 hurts. Given their attack, the defence we sent out there was abysmal. Not that we have many better options available, especially with Clyne injured. We need to do a City and buy a brand new back 5. Easy to do when you have unlimited money like City but our failure to properly address the defence has been baffling.  

After having a while to calm down I think its a waste of time worrying about it as those millionaire superstars don't give a fuck themselves. I'm not blaming individuals as they are all culpable as is Klopp. Its just so disappointing to see all our hopes dashed so soon and be proved so right about the abysmal transfer dealings. Ironically a Naby Keita type player and a decent centre half would have made a massive difference today,even accounting for an awful refereeing performance. If Klopp believes that he is so good that he can mould this bunch of shithouses into a successful side then you really have to question his own state of mind as a coach.

On the entitlement thing again - I think for the first few years, we couldn't believe our luck, and winning the league in the manner we did was our Istanbul moment. I still get tears in my eyes remembering that....

But now there's an expectation amongst the fans - we HAVE spent a fortune and we are no longer playing 'catch up' with top teams. It's very easy to say 'we should be winning things' and that can be interpreted two ways:

1) We 'ought' to be winning based on what we're spending to gain success (realistic)

2) We 'should' be winning because we have bought ourselves a divine right! (arrogant)

It's not always easy to tell which attitude a fan has, and it's precisely the same when a Liverpool fan says 'we're back in Europe where we belong' or 'we should be beating Huddersfield'. Why do you belong in Europe? why should you be beating Huddersfield?

To fans of teams lower down the leagues it can sound incredibly entitled and arrogant, and we're all guilty of it. 

Plenty on here who would happily become the very same in their desire for FSG to go

Yes too true, but older fans like myself and maybe you ( sorry mate don't know your age ) remember winning being earnt and that is the way it should be. That said it would have to happen to know how I really felt. Modern football is truly shit.

There is a difference though - both players are at a low level and thus it's not a high tackle / dangerous play offence. Toure has missed the ball completely because Emre's got to it first and he's caught Emre on the follow through. It could have been a serious injury too - but was within the laws of game as a foul, rather than dangerous play.

It's fair comment to debate where we should draw the line between Mane and Toure incidents though. In many ways you've just demonstrated the distinction between the two in the official 'Rules of the Game'. Whether those rules needs adjusting is another matter...

I don't know what video you watched but the one in the previous post shows Yaya Toure going in with studs up and impacts Can's chest and almost his face if he hadn't moved out of the way.

If that's not dangerous play then I have completely misunderstood the rules of football for years and so have the referees which probably explains why they are so inconsistent.

What irks me,is that a couple of years ago ( Fanchester will remember this) at the Etihad, two Man City players did similar challenges on Everton players that Mane did today .

Surprisingly, ( or not ) they both got yellow cards- no straight reds.

Like United have had for many years, the rich clubs get the rub of the green from referees.

• Upvote 1

Not at that pace against other players' heads they don't.

and the flipside to it is keepers don't usually come rushing out at speed and throw their heads forward at a ball that is dropping with an oncoming striker. It's easy to paint Mane out as the bad guy but a split second later and he is clattering Mane. As I said I don't think it should have been a red. You have your opinion and I will have mine.

What irks me,is that a couple of years ago ( Fanchester will remember this) at the Etihad, two Man City players did similar challenges on Everton players that Mane did today .

Surprisingly, ( or not ) they both got yellow cards- no straight reds.

Like United have had for many years, the rich clubs get the rub of the green from referees.

Putting aside your obvious bitterness I'd say that a yellow card was the right decision today as it was with those two City players. The refereeing is appalling in modern football particularly in the PL because their chief is the worst I have ever seen and they are now simply not allowed to receive well deserved criticism. In today's incident the referee reacted to the condition of the goalkeeper rather than the merits of the actual foul. Its quite ironic the abuse recreational referees put up with compared to their pampered professional colleagues in the league's higher echelons. And a lot are actually much better.

Refs aren't biased mate. 

For me - and I'm not talking about today's game. I am just generalising. As a group they are inconsistent. But far worse, individually some are completely inept.

I would prefer them to be biased to be honest - at least that would mean they're be capable of a decent decision but choose otherwise.

They're just second rate.

• Upvote 1

That was a weird game in  a lot of ways, for the first 20 mins we threatened to tear them a new a-hole and squandered at least 5 great goal scoring opportunities with mo salha the main culprit. In these big games if you don't take guilt edge chances then the pendulum will invariably swing to the other team and it did and they took their chances well. The sending off dictated what followed to a certain extent, but could not hide our comedy defence. Too many of our players heads dropped and a 5-0 defeat is mentally damaging no matter how you try to sugar coat the bitch. Klavan should be jettisoned into space at the earliest opportunity, slow, ponderous, positionally inept a crime to defending. How is he even a pro soccer player. Emre Can is a better CB option in my humble opinion.

• Upvote 3

I don't think refs are overtly biased, but I do think they are human and subject to subliminal influence. His own mood, the crowd, the 'occasion', player reputation, screams, number of similar tackles etc... they all have to play some part.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there's a rule for persistent niggling tackles, and yet we often see a tackle that is not given a yellow - but if the same player does it 2-3 times, they get a yellow. Why? if the first was a yellow, he should have been booked then. If none of them were yellow, then you can't add them up to make a yellow.

If there IS a rule on persistent niggles then I take it all back, or maybe it's just deemed 'unsporting conduct'?

All of that said - Referees across Europe have been found to have been bribed, so what makes it so impossible here? It's the wealthiest league in the world, and yet somehow we're immune?

Isn't it the very height of complacency to believe it doesn't happen?

I don't know what video you watched but the one in the previous post shows Yaya Toure going in with studs up and impacts Can's chest and almost his face if he hadn't moved out of the way.

If that's not dangerous play then I have completely misunderstood the rules of football for years and so have the referees which probably explains why they are so inconsistent.

It's unfortunate that it's a City vs Liverpool incident, as that makes things sound biased, but as far as I know, the principle is that a high tackle is deemed to be inherently dangerous... the moment you raise your foot to chest height - it's deemed dangerous because it's highly likely to end up kicking another player in the chest or head (i.e. very dangerous).

Now, a tackle on the ground or at a lower level MAY end up being dangerous but it's not deemed to be inherently so. Yaya is going for the ball 50/50 with another player doing the same - both with feet. The ball is kicked by the other player first, thus Yaya misses the ball and follows through, hitting the player in the chest. That's a foul, but that could have resulted in a bad injury, but it's not deemed an inherently dangerous act because it's not reasonably foreseeable that you'll hit the chest or face. Thus it's a yellow.

I 'think' that's how the referees come to their conclusion - but inconsistencies make it hard to be sure. 

I'm not trying to say one is ok, and the other isn't in my eyes - merely how the rules of the game are applied / interpreted for dangerous play.