You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

40 Years Ago Today

torahboy

Do you think some of that is the lack of adventure now?

The first World Cup I can really remember was Italia 90 and there always seemed a sense of intrigue as you would see players and teams that you really knew nothing about.

Now it's all players that you can see every week and there are no real surprises or players that you haven't seen before because the vast majority of the best players from most nations end up in the bigger European leagues. 

I think it's one of the things that's afflicted Rallying, when I was a kid you'd stand in a forest with no idea of who was leading, who was still in the Rally and you'd get some guy from Finland who no one had ever heard of suddenly appearing in front of you driving like something you'd never seen before and being blown away by it. Or you'd be listening to a car coming from miles away trying to work out who it is by the sound of how they are driving it.

Now you're standing there and can check live results on your phone, there are pretty much no hidden talents appearing from Europe and it just feels that little bit more sanitised and less of an adventure.

I think it was just the excitement of the unknown for us.  We'd never been in a European Cup final, and it was the first time many of us had countenanced travelling abroad to see the reds.    That trip to Rome, as a schoolboy, was magical - as well as being the best football-related experience I will ever have, gave me the passion for travel that is still with me. 

I used to love watching the old rallying too - used to go to Chester to watch the cars being worked on overnight for the RAC.  Fantastic beasts.  That and rallycross in the 1970s and 1980s - fabulous stuff

A wonderful night, if only football was like that now, Fairclough probably wouldn't get a game today. St Etienne, the Inter game in 65, the Derby when we came from 0-2 to win and Wolves away when we won the league were the best atmospheres I've experienced. The gates were opened early for St.Etienne and the Wolves games, at Wolves there were no Wolves fans in their end, fantastic night we were dancing on the M6 coming home.

• Upvote 2

I think it was just the excitement of the unknown for us.  We'd never been in a European Cup final, and it was the first time many of us had countenanced travelling abroad to see the reds.    That trip to Rome, as a schoolboy, was magical - as well as being the best football-related experience I will ever have, gave me the passion for travel that is still with me. 

I used to love watching the old rallying too - used to go to Chester to watch the cars being worked on overnight for the RAC.  Fantastic beasts.  That and rallycross in the 1970s and 1980s - fabulous stuff

Rallycross from Lydden Hill with Murray Walker commentating on BBC1, oh the memories.

• Upvote 1

A wonderful night, if only football was like that now, Fairclough probably wouldn't get a game today. St Etienne, the Inter game in 65, the Derby when we came from 0-2 to win and Wolves away when we won the league were the best atmospheres I've experienced. The gates were opened early for St.Etienne and the Wolves games, at Wolves there were no Wolves fans in their end, fantastic night we were dancing on the M6 coming home.

Wolves was another great night. Liverpool had at least 3/4 of the ground and it was also the best match programme I've ever seen!