You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool v Barcelona - Wembley

Arl arse

but why? The lad has a 10 year shelf life.  He may not achieve the riches or the plaudits that Coutinho will, but the fact that you supported a club as a kid, or spent 5 years in their youth team are only of peripheral importance when it comes to your own ambitions in the game.  

I think that's the difference - fans think that players associate ambition with belonging to a club.  Players see ambition primarily as achievement in the game and as a way of setting them up for life.  Fans either just refuse to see that, or they really take against it.  They're the ones struggling with reality, not the players.

I don't agree.

The reason players like Carragher get so much warmth, is that they're supposed to transcend ideas like ambition and wealth.

They talk about being fans, and nobody on here would let something inconsequential like wages get in the way of playing for Liverpool.

I think your point about that view being unrealistic is more than fair, but at the same time we've all spent our adult life, loads of money and time watching 11 men kicking a football around.

Unrealistic comes with the territory, no?

• Upvote 1

I don't agree.

The reason players like Carragher get so much warmth, is that they're supposed to transcend ideas like ambition and wealth.

They talk about being fans, and nobody on here would let something inconsequential like wages get in the way of playing for Liverpool.

I think your point about that view being unrealistic is more than fair, but at the same time we've all spent our adult life, loads of money and time watching 11 men kicking a football around.

Unrealistic comes with the territory, no?

I can't disagree with any of that, but you can bet your sweet arse that if Carragher wasn't in the team at the peak of his powers, he would have been off like a shot. 

The point I was trying to make is that too many fans project their motivations onto the players (and managers) and it's crazy.  Can you imagine if scouse twitter was around when Dalglish decided to go and manage Blackburn?  Nightcat would have ended up self-kebabing.

I can't disagree with any of that, but you can bet your sweet arse that if Carragher wasn't in the team at the peak of his powers, he would have been off like a shot. 

The point I was trying to make is that too many fans project their motivations onto the players (and managers) and it's crazy.  Can you imagine if scouse twitter was around when Dalglish decided to go and manage Blackburn?  Nightcat would have ended up self-kebabing.

*Sharp intake of breath*

That's an outrageous thing to say.

...you can bet your sweet arse that if Carragher wasn't in the team at the peak of his powers, he would have been off like a shot.

He was though and so the point is moot and we can still cling to the last vestiges of integrity, loyalty and honesty we're all so desperate to perceive in the modern game.