Quantcast
Lap Top Repair - Page 3 - TNF - Techy Nerd Forum - The Liverpool Way Jump to content
Dougie Do'ins

Lap Top Repair

Recommended Posts

Spent another two hours on the phone yesterday evening to McAffee initially to get a refund. They insisted they could fix the problem by remotely accessing my machine. Needless to say it didn't work yet they refused to give me a refund. 

 

Decided to bit the bullet and went out today and bought a new laptop. Got the best part of £100 off.

 

No idea what all this means but this is what I got for £400.

 

HP Pavilion 15-cs3006na Laptop, Intel Core i3 Processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 15.6" Full HD, Mineral Silver

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Spent another two hours on the phone yesterday evening to McAffee initially to get a refund. They insisted they could fix the problem by remotely accessing my machine. Needless to say it didn't work yet they refused to give me a refund. 

 

Decided to bit the bullet and went out today and bought a new laptop. Got the best part of £100 off.

 

No idea what all this means but this is what I got for £400.

 

HP Pavilion 15-cs3006na Laptop, Intel Core i3 Processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 15.6" Full HD, Mineral Silver

 

 

The HP Pavilion 15-cs3006na has been created with a 10th generation Intel Core i3 processor, 8GB RAM and a 15.6” Full HD display. This stylish laptop will be able to assist with all your email, casual gaming, letter writing and work project requirements.

Intel i3
Intel’s i3 processor gives you enough speed to get browsing, emailing and even a spot of work.

The i3-1005G1 processor features 4MB of cache and 2 cores that can adjust their speed depending on the complexity of the task they are working on, from 1.20GHz to 3.40GHz.

What is RAM?
RAM (Random Access Memory) is different to the permanent storage provided by hard disk drives (HDD), solid state drives (SSD) or memory cards in your equipment. RAM is used by your device to temporarily store data to carry out everyday operations. The more RAM your machine has, the faster you can expect it to open and run programs.

A solid performer
Featuring 8GB of RAM, this computer has enough power for casual tasks like web browsing and word processing as well as more demanding jobs like complex spread sheets and image manipulation. You'll be able to run a healthy number of windows at once without any obvious lag or slowdown.

Solid State Drive
Solid State Drives (SSD) give you the capacity to store your documents and media, while ensuring quicker and reliable access to your files and programs. SSDs are far faster than regular hard drives and ingeniously, they don't use moving parts to work, which makes them far more dependable and also quieter.

Intel Iris Graphics
Intel’s Iris graphics processing unit (GPU) will enable you to enjoy a number of classic older games, along with some casual (web-based) gaming. You may be able to run more modern titles with reduced effects and frame rates.

Connecting your other devices
The USB ports allow for fast data transfer, while the HDMI port enables the option for large screen presentations. The SD card slot offers a convenient way to upload your photos and videos. Additionally, Bluetooth can help to send data wirelessly between devices.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Dougie Do'ins said:

Spent another two hours on the phone yesterday evening to McAffee initially to get a refund. They insisted they could fix the problem by remotely accessing my machine. Needless to say it didn't work yet they refused to give me a refund. 

 

Decided to bit the bullet and went out today and bought a new laptop. Got the best part of £100 off.

 

No idea what all this means but this is what I got for £400.

 

HP Pavilion 15-cs3006na Laptop, Intel Core i3 Processor, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, 15.6" Full HD, Mineral Silver

 

 

 

Good decision. And don't touch McAffee again,it has a pretty poor reputation in the world of anti viruses.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

McAfee is fucking horrendous.  It has a tendency to fuck updates and driver installations.  Our software support guys have to go in and disable the cunt via command line on a regular basis just to get shit working.  Fuck knows what kind of shady background deals have been going on for large retail companies to be investing in that utter garbage.

It certainly isn't the choice of your everyday helpdesk bod or support specialist.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've always found McAfee to run like turd. Avast has served my PCs well. Although when I installed Avast on my tablet, it slowed everything down, so I'm looking for something that won't do that.

 

On a tangent, because I am smugly pleased with myself for fixing it, I was having major problems with my ethernet connection dropping out frequently or just not working at all. The wireless worked fine, however. I eventually worked out that it was a network adapter issue, specifically an issue with my Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, and a setting called "Energy Efficient Ethernet". Once I disabled that, and another one ("Green Ethernet") for good measure, I haven't had any problems at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I've always found McAfee to run like turd. Avast has served my PCs well. Although when I installed Avast on my tablet, it slowed everything down, so I'm looking for something that won't do that.

 

On a tangent, because I am smugly pleased with myself for fixing it, I was having major problems with my ethernet connection dropping out frequently or just not working at all. The wireless worked fine, however. I eventually worked out that it was a network adapter issue, specifically an issue with my Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, and a setting called "Energy Efficient Ethernet". Once I disabled that, and another one ("Green Ethernet") for good measure, I haven't had any problems at all.

Ooh, now that's interesting. I've been having problems with mine for a while now, wifi would regularly drop for 30 seconds or so probably once or twice an hour. Eventually I ended up getting home plugs and connecting it directly- that improved things, but I still get the odd cut out maybe 2-3 times a day. I'll try disabling those settings and see how I get on. Was the fix as a result of trial and error, or did you find a link somewhere? Presumably the settings cause the adaptor to go to 'sleep' at some point? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Mudface said:

Ooh, now that's interesting. I've been having problems with mine for a while now, wifi would regularly drop for 30 seconds or so probably once or twice an hour. Eventually I ended up getting home plugs and connecting it directly- that improved things, but I still get the odd cut out maybe 2-3 times a day. I'll try disabling those settings and see how I get on. Was the fix as a result of trial and error, or did you find a link somewhere? Presumably the settings cause the adaptor to go to 'sleep' at some point? 

 

I found a link somewhere after quite a bit of searching, someone else had been having exactly the same problem with their Virgin Media broadband. I've no idea what the technical reason is, but I've never trusted any of these power saving settings; I've had a problem with sleep mode on a PC in the past and routinely disable it now. I'd never have even known my ethernet had such a setting but it was super easy to turn it off in Device Manager.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

 

I found a link somewhere after quite a bit of searching, someone else had been having exactly the same problem with their Virgin Media broadband. I've no idea what the technical reason is, but I've never trusted any of these power saving settings; I've had a problem with sleep mode on a PC in the past and routinely disable it now. I'd never have even known my ethernet had such a setting but it was super easy to turn it off in Device Manager.

OK cheers- I never use sleep mode either, it's pretty shit. I've disabled those settings so fingers crossed that's it fixed for good.

 

Anyone else looking for it- open up device manager (Windows key + R, type devmgmt.msc) and expand the network adapters section, then double click on the adapter name and the settings are under the Advanced tab-

 

image.png

 

Edit- under the Power Management tab, it might be worth unchecking the 'allow the computer turn off this device' option too. 

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Strontium Dog™ said:

I've always found McAfee to run like turd. Avast has served my PCs well. Although when I installed Avast on my tablet, it slowed everything down, so I'm looking for something that won't do that.

 

On a tangent, because I am smugly pleased with myself for fixing it, I was having major problems with my ethernet connection dropping out frequently or just not working at all. The wireless worked fine, however. I eventually worked out that it was a network adapter issue, specifically an issue with my Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller, and a setting called "Energy Efficient Ethernet". Once I disabled that, and another one ("Green Ethernet") for good measure, I haven't had any problems at all.

Avg on tablets and phones is very good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those ethernet adaptor issues will probably be down to firmware as much as hardware issues with the port itself.  It's been a longstanding issue that Windows will put the port into sleep mode and it either doesn't wake up or "flaps", goes up and down.  One of the first things that till software developers do is to disable any sleep/power saving modes permanently just to take that shit out of the equation.

I disable all that shit at home too, the only thing I keep enabled is Wake On LAN, which is mega handy for a lazy cunt like me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×