You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Willian saga reinforces LFC fall from elite (ESPN article)

dave u

willian_460.jpg

There's been a lot of finger-pointing among Liverpool's fan base this week as Willian became the latest high-profile target to say "thanks but no thanks" to LFC. The latest transfer saga involving the Reds came to a sadly all-too-predictable end as the Brazilian initially opted for Spurs before Chelsea swooped in to grab him.

Regardless of where the Brazilian ends up, Brendan Rodgers has been left high and dry once again as the club continually fail to bolster his attacking options. It's getting ridiculous now -- who is in charge of Liverpool's transfer dealings, Arsene Wenger?

Some fans blame the owners for not showing enough financial intent and allowing Spurs to outbid them. Others blame the scouting team for not going for more realistic targets, while there are those -- let's call them die-hards -- who simply blame the player for not knowing what a huge mistake he is making in turning down the opportunity to pull on the famous red shirt. Me? I blame them all, to a degree. Especially Willian -- I mean, who wouldn't want to play alongside the genius who is little Phil Coutinho? Madness!

All that said, the biggest factor in Liverpool's missing out on all of these players is circumstances. After four years in the wilderness, the Reds simply don't have the pulling power they once had, and this summer that has really begun to hit home as players have snubbed Liverpool in never-before-seen numbers. Missing out to teams in the Champions League is one thing -- but when it's Spurs, that's a different kettle of fish entirely.

Willian may end up at Chelsea, but it doesn't change the fact that he saw White Hart Lane as a more attractive destination than Anfield -- that's a pretty big wake-up call for Liverpool.

Read the full article here.

Spurs were going to pay over the odds to get him. I think the owners were right not to in this instance, but I can see why that reticence worries people. At some point we are going to have to pay over the odds to get someone because of the position we are in.

It's all a bit depressing really. Done 'squad' business it would seem early in the Summer, which was followed with Rodgers then claiming he was happy we'd strengthened the squad, but in the next few weeks we'd be concentrating on strengthening the first team.

That was early in July.

So here we are with one week to go, 3 attempted yet ultimately failed signings later. Reasons why are a mix of not offering enough, players not interested, etc. Fact is we're still at least 2, maybe 3, first team signings away from where the manager himself wants us to be.

Problem is of course in the final week any selling teams know you're almost desperate, plus with Spurs (as well as us) losing out on this Willian character and Arsenal with dosh burning holes (allegedly) we'll still be competing with these two clubs next week, so expect premiums to apply.

Notwithstanding of course our entire time next week may be taken up by dealing with the usual 11th hour bids from Madrid for Suarez.

It ain't looking good.

Usher getting some grief in the comments section.

Don't think he is to be fair. Only 5 comments in there, one defending FSG on the basis they inherited a club on its knees, but not necessarily attacking the article.

Notwithstanding of course our entire time next week may be taken up by dealing with the usual 11th hour bids from Madrid for Suarez.

I have a bad feeling this may be rearing it's head on deadline day.

I'm certain that the inevitable £50M+ bid will come from somewhere that day and I just hope we don't waver.