You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Banking advice/ anyone work for halifax ??

She was meant to have received a letter a few weeks ago (which she never) informing her that they were changing the terms of her overdraft for some reason (£1900) and changing it to an unplanned overdraft. The other day she went to withdraw money and her account was frozen, they said it was now with their problem accounts department or whatever.

They've said today that bascially they are taking the overdraft back and when she gets paid tomorrow which is around the overdraft amount they are just going to take the entire wage and leave her with nothing. Has anyone encountered anything like this, is there anything she can do ?? she has a good wage and never has had a charge so she's not even sure why this is happening but clearly she's really upset about it all, any advice would be much appreciated, cheers peeps.

When I left Uni I had a similar issue to this.

Basically they decided that they weren't prepared to lend me such a large overdraft (a similar amount) and decided to stop my overdraft once I was earning and no longer a Student.

I phoned their 'problem accounts' (this was with Lloyds TSB) and after negotiation they put me on a reducing overdraft limit, and got me to pay off £150 a month, so that the overdraft went back to around £500 after 9 or 10 months.

I think they are probably in their rights to ask for it back within the T&C's, but usually they are a bit more flexible than taking the job lot. I think they would only normally do that if there is a huge risk to them, i.e. they think you're likely to do a bunk, a really bad credit risk, you have repeatedly gone over your limit or they want you to bank elsewhere.

I think the chances are she might have to pay it off, but with sensible negotiation she should leave enough to live off in the meanwhile.

Phone up and escalate, common sense approach and all that, to clarify are they

reducing it from 1900 to zero?

Ask them where the letter is and explain how can she be expected to work something else out when given no notice etc

Also would ask for additional context on why reducing it, has she missed any payments on anything else recently, credit cards or loans? Has the facility been run within t and c's? Halifax must think she is a risk or the letter would have probably offered an extension to current limit.

seems odd they would they call in a profitable overdraft?

Edited by Rush 346
Typo

I work for them and used to work on bank accounts. They have to give you 30 days notice before changing an overdraft, but as long as there's a record of the letter going out on the system and that they have her correct address then there's no contesting the notice from my experience.

I'd definitely call rather than write in as the call centre have a lot more leeway than the post team. What's the new overdraft? As if she's not had an arrangement before they can put you on an arrangement to reduce it over the next 12 months steadily - as long as you can pay the charges (£1 per day) and the amount it will reduce by.