You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Marvel: Agents Of Shield

Anubis

Guest Numero Veinticinco

I think there's only one other program I'd consider going back for after reading a little about it, and that's The Wire. But mainly I just don't really watch that type of thing.

Also, I don't think this program at the moment is spectacular. The thing with Skye is something that I think has been really drawn out and not in the best way. I think it could have been better. I do hugely care about what this could become though, if it gets more seasons.

Thanks, I might try it at some point. I'm mainly a sci-fi (or related.) person but it won't hurt to try a few episodes in the near future I suppose.

Whilst it isn't Sci Fi, it has the same feel as a really good Sci Fi show. Have you ever watched Battlestar Galactica?

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Do we have to rename this the 'Red Phoenix stream of consciousness' thread? Agents of Shield is okay but no one can care this much about it.

It's really as if RedKnight has foreshadowed my disappointment with what I just saw in the last episode with part of this post.

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

What Jaiying just did was just so completely out of character for me that I was pretty pissed off. She was one of the most chilled out and peaceful characters, and one of my favourites, and what she just did just didn't work for me at all. The other thing is that it wasn't just some freak thing that'll pass, it's the single event that's kicked off what's about to happen for the end of the 2nd season.

It's not as if I'm going to stop watching, but that's probably the worst thing I've seen in both seasons so far.

After what I saw last, which pissed me off, I'll just have to believe this if I see it and this is right. From a Forbes review of the finale that's on later :

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. Cements Its Right to Exist in Season 2 Finale

To say the road for Marvel’s first television series, Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., has been a bumpy one would be an understatement. From an inflated premiere that resulted in a dramatic drop in ratings that made many wonder if it was going to survive at all, to a divided fan community torn between its love of all things Marvel and the perceived mediocrity (to some) of the show’s freshman season, it seems from day one that S.H.I.E.L.D. has been fighting for its own survival. However, it can be confidently stated that, with the season 2 finale, the show has finally passed the television test that will provide it its license and right to exist for years to come.

What audiences will get with the season 2 finale is not a rehashed version of the “we’re rebooting the world” conclusion we got with the finale of last year. Rather, this time around what we get is, without a doubt, the most beautiful story progression and dramatic weight the show has ever produced. The S.H.I.E.L.D. season finale is emotional, hard-hitting, action packed, suspenseful and, most importantly of all, surprising. The 2-hour finale isn’t so much a set of two episodes that have been thrown together as much as they are a 2-hour film that’s been created to allow the show a chance to finally prove what it’s always been capable of.

By using its new model of half-season runs in the fall and spring, S.H.I.E.L.D. built itself a story it could legitimately pay off in the finale. All the arcs, and all the characters come to satisfying conclusions that don’t feel tacked on or half-measured – even despite that fact there was once talk of a spin-off series that would be kick-off by the events of this week’s episode. Everything that occurs does so with forceful purpose and the clearest vision ever brought to Marvel’s small screen division (in some ways, it even tops the all too perfectly constructed Daredevil on Netflix).

Even more interesting is how no punches are pulled for the sake of network television ideals. Put simply, the S.H.I.E.L.D. finale “goes there,” and does so in ways that justify the aforementioned idea of the show being more surprising than ever. Even if one thinks they know the ways in which a show can be “surprising” in the modern age, they won’t see the events of the finale coming. They come at the audience harder and faster than anything the MCU has produced since the third act of Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

That said, however, forget what happened in Age of Ultron, Winter Solder and every Marvel film that’s proceeded Tuesday night because none of it matters. S.H.I.E.L.D. does a most excellent job of standing on its own two feet in a way we’ve never seen it do before. Come the final frame, all anyone – Marvel fan or otherwise – will be asking is when season three begins. The note the show leaves viewers on is one that will make them realize, perhaps for the first time, that the journey of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. is not only worth it now, but perhaps always has been. With the finale comes a single truth many have hoped would one day reveal itself: S.H.I.E.L.D. is a show that has reached the point it has always wanted to be at since the days Joss Whedon first wrote “Fade In” on the pilot script.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/merrillbarr/2015/05/11/agents-of-shield-season-finale/

Thought it was good, but the reviewer there went well over the top really.

You should watch before reading this, of course :

Warning! The following content is NOT WORK SAFE. Click the Show button to reveal.

Quite a lot got sorted out, but Jaiying turning out like she did and the fact that Age Of Ultron was released recently kind of made anything here feel like a comedown still.

Ward torturing Morse throughout parts of it didn't help either. Morse is a great character and I cannot stand Ward, so that just bugged me. Now we don't even know if she'll be leaving once this resumes next season, but I'm hoping not. Apparently she was due to be in a spin-off, but that's been cancelled. Maybe for the best if it seemed like it wasn't going to work, but I hope she doesn't leave this, like the character hinted at after being tortured like that.

And Ward is just a massive cunt. The only good thing is that he's clearly one of the main bad guys now and disliking a bad guy is fine I suppose.

The Kree stone, or whatever it is, we basically learnt nothing, and I was hoping that would be a key part towards the end, but it didn't happen. Ok, we learn that it can swallow people and go back to normal, but we still know nothing else, I found that frustrating.

But the set up for next season was good, I really did like that. Skye is over the intro to the Inhumans, that for me dragged out for way, way too long, she's now back with Shield, and she can set up her own team of Inhumans. That for me is perfect, and it could be that next season is the one where I'll actually be able to sit back and really enjoy watching it consistently.

Season 1 was the intro to Shield, 2 the intro to the Inhumans, with some luck 3 will be where it turns into what it really can be. I've not got a huge load of suspense for what's coming next, but will be glad when it's back.

Think I'll stay away from fish oil as well.

Ward is probably my favourite character in the show. It's an okay show, had an okay finale.

He's a good actor and it's a well written char. If that wasn't the case I'd be half arsed about him, but he does wind me up as a character, definitely. At least it's pretty clear now as well that he's bad from here on out, and I can't see him coming back from this. If he's killed I hope it's Morse that does it.

btw :

I hope that char that can make multiple versions of herself is on Skye's team next season. Adding chars like that really opens up new ways of doing things, and it'd be good to see how she'd work with shield.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

You lot will enjoy this next series. Its brilliant. Sky just gets more hot to trot.

Eh? It just finished.

Guest Numero Veinticinco

He's over 10 hours ahead in New Zealand. Our present is his past.

They've got TVs in New Zealand now?

Hmn, good for them. What about medicines and water?

• 4 months later...

Utterly freakish to bump this thread for the first time in months about a character called Quake, and see what's happened in Chile around the same time (edit : I'm talking literally the same fucking hour, too, from what I can see in reports.) Why does life have to be so fucking weird like that? Horrible news.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Thought this was a good read, and I agree with most of it. Spoilers in this article if you're not up to date (up to date as in season 4, ep 1) : https://www.wired.com/2016/09/agents-s-h-e-l-d-needs-get-lot-crazier-soon/

Liked the 1st episode of season 4 too. Looks like it'll take a bit to get moving again, but if it's going to end up being anywhere near as good as a lot of the 2nd half of season 3, I'm not too fussed about being patient.