You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Espresso maker

Paulie Dangerously

Friends working in Ethiopa have just brought us back a big bag of Tomoca coffee for our espresso machine. It is beautiful

Never was a fan of the African stuff. South America all the way for me

Any good deals on the actual machine?

You could pick up a pixie or inissia for about £60 in currys last time I was in there

Are they any good though?

I've got the Inissia and it's flawless.  I paid closer to £100 for it a year ago and think it was value for money at that.  Low maintenance (just have to clean the tray and descale it every now and then) perfect espresso/lungo every time.  easy to make a long coffee with a couple of pods and add hot water.

I got it after becoming green with envy at the french relatives who all had one, and the practicality of using a Bialetti stove top every morning when I was trying to sort out a baby was becoming an issue. 

This is the model I got (got it from Amazon as well) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-XN100140-Nespresso-Inissia-Capsule/dp/B00IUGBHOE

• Upvote 1

I've got the Inissia and it's flawless. I paid closer to £100 for it a year ago and think it was value for money at that. Low maintenance (just have to clean the tray and descale it every now and then) perfect espresso/lungo every time. easy to make a long coffee with a couple of pods and add hot water.

I got it after becoming green with envy at the french relatives who all had one, and the practicality of using a Bialetti stove top every morning when I was trying to sort out a baby was becoming an issue.

This is the model I got (got it from Amazon as well) https://www.amazon.co.uk/Krups-XN100140-Nespresso-Inissia-Capsule/dp/B00IUGBHOE

Do they do hot chocolate pods? Only cos my bird and daughter dont drink coffee but love hot chocolate

I believe you can but it's not something I've ever tried. Don't think Nespresso themselves do them (not that I buy the pods from them anyway)

Well thanks for the input. I am going to get the one on the link you posted and go and raid home bargains!

• Upvote 1

Well thanks for the input. I am going to get the one on the link you posted and go and raid home bargains!

Do it!  You usually get a few pods and some vouchers with it.  

I normally get the Lidl pods as default (£1.79 for 10) as I don't honestly think the difference between them and the Nespresso ones is worth paying double the price for. 

Groupon has a deals on the pods too if you have a look. 

Welcome to the Nespresso masterrace. 

Can you not get other brand chocolate pods that are compatable?

Pretty sure you can.  Most of the compatible pods are fine, the only one I wouldn't buy is the Taylors ones as for some reason I find 1/10 tend to get stuck and not work properly in the machine. 

http://mugpods.com/nespresso-hot-chocolate.html

• Upvote 1

Its arrived today, tried one of the free variation pods that come with it, jaysus it was strong!

In regards to adding milk, do you just add it manually after its poured?

You can yeah.  You can buy add ons for the machine to heat it through but I just have it espresso form. 

Does anyone recycle the pods? All that packaging puts me off.

In france they have specific bins in the recycling place (they take it seriously over there) but I don't think the machines have reached the levels of popularity to warrant them here. 

Unless you mean fill them up again?

Its arrived today, tried one of the free variation pods that come with it, jaysus it was strong!

In regards to adding milk, do you just add it manually after its poured?

You can yeah.  You can buy add ons for the machine to heat it through but I just have it espresso form.

I've got this one with the milk frother/heater on the side. I don't mind an espresso but I prefer a latte.

1215966ebd.jpg

Got one, makes lovely coffee - but no way of recycling the pods for that one.

Also have a Keurig for regular coffee - stopped buying pods ages ago. I buy good ground coffee and use a reusable mesh pod.

402720f323ecf0bb3d7a90256a8ebf16.jpg

Works great (although not sure you can do this with the new Keurig 2.0??).

Does anyone recycle the pods? All that packaging puts me off.

I'm sure I read recently that they're not recyclable, like takeaway coffee cups they have a film/treatment to the material that prevents it.

Apparently it's becoming a major problem.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan either; my parents have one and the coffee is always so bitter.

I've always used either a moka pot or French press but the other half got me an Aeropress for Christmas, which has been a revelation.

Got one, makes lovely coffee - but no way of recycling the pods for that one. Also have a Keurig for regular coffee - stopped buying pods ages ago. I buy good ground coffee and use a reusable mesh pod. 402720f323ecf0bb3d7a90256a8ebf16.jpg Works great (although not sure you can do this with the new Keurig 2.0??).

I've looked into the reusable ones but for me it's a convenience thing in the morning so having to fill them and wash them out etc negates the fact of having the machine in the first place

I'm sure I read recently that they're not recyclable, like takeaway coffee cups they have a film/treatment to the material that prevents it.

Apparently it's becoming a major problem.

They can be recycled, in French recycling centres they're special nespresso bins which are collected and taken to be recycled.  http://www.nespresso.com/ecolaboration/fr/en/recycling.html this isn't in the Uk yet, presumably as they're not popular enough

Plus they taste pretty shit too.

Get some proper coffee you marketing fools.

Yeah, I'm not a big fan either; my parents have one and the coffee is always so bitter.

I've always used either a moka pot or French press but the other half got me an Aeropress for Christmas, which has been a revelation.

I was a moka pot enthusiast myself until I started seeing all my in laws with the machines.   As for the bitterness it depends on the type of pod and how much water you select from the machine. Alternatively a couple of pods and some hot water and you have a cracking americano. 

I totally get that you can try different pods and play with the quantities, I just aren't a big fan of the coffee that you get from them in any form.

With the recycling, I just did a little more reading and saw reference to those bins. It's a good start but there's still the issue of physically splitting and recycling the plastic and aluminium, just because they're in separate bins doesn't mean they necessarily get recycled. More importantly for me it's creating more waste to start with, recycling should be the last option.

I don't mean to piss on chips here, sorry! I'm not the world's greatest coffee connoisseur and nor do I produce no waste!