You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Torres happy with Roy of the Reds

Fernando Torres says he is "happy" Roy Hodgson has been appointed as Liverpool boss and wants to know his "ideas about the future" at Anfield.

The Spain striker, who has been strongly linked with a move to Barcelona this summer, has welcomed the appointment of former Fulham boss Hodgson as Rafael Benitez's successor on Merseyside.

Torres, still involved in the World Cup where Spain face Germany in the semi-finals, said: "I was happy he (Hodgson) got the job. I haven't had a chat with him yet but I will talk with him soon and we will see his ideas about the future.

"For now, my future is here. South Africa and the World Cup is too important to think about things after that.

"I have a very important week still here and after that I will have time to talk with him and talk about my future."

Torres has faith in Hodgson to help revive Liverpool after a poor season in which they finished seventh in the Premier League and failed to qualify for the Champions League.

"He did really well at Fulham and I am sure he can do better for Liverpool," continued Torres. "He is a very good manager. He showed that in the past and in the last season with Fulham.

"Hopefully he will be the right man to give Liverpool the opportunity to be strong again."

Torres will pick the brains of Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher in trying to plot Germany's downfall in what will be Spain's first ever World Cup semi-final.

The Reds duo were part of the England squad defeated 4-1 by Germany in the last 16.

He said: "Germany have not surprised me. I am a big fan of German football. I know all of their players.

"I think the German people weren't expecting them to play as good as they have been playing.

"But I was sure they would always be there or thereabouts. They are always in the final or semi-finals.

"They are a very good team. I have spoken to Stevie and Jamie, not about Germany - but I am sure in the next few days I will."

Torres admits he has not been at his best during the finals after undergoing ankle surgery beforehand and is still searching for his first goal.

But he still believes he has made a worthwhile contribution in tandem with five-goal David Villa and is improving game by game.

He said: "It is a difficult tournament for me because my fitness is not the best but I am improving every game.

"I am happy for the things I did in the game against Paraguay in the quarter-finals and in the last game as well.

"I am feeling better but I still have to improve - obviously.

"I have to accept my role in this tournament. I didn't arrive in the best moment especially in terms of fitness especially after two lots of surgery.

"But I am happy with the things I am doing and hopefully the manager and the team as well."

TEAMtalk | Football | Premier League | Liverpool News - Torres happy with Roy of the Reds

• Replies 607
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Pistonbroke
Fair play to him, now can Roy find the right words to convince Torres to give us another go.

It sounds to me that he doesn't have to, plus Torres owes us imo.

Torres speaks as Gerrard did a few days ago - words of encouragement but refers to the club as Liverpool rather than us/we

Both of them are distancing themselves from the club. An answer has to be given by mid-July.

"Are you in or out?". Any stalling and they should be given a price tag and start the selling process.

Guest Pistonbroke
I would say so as well. But when Barcelona, City and Chelsea come knocking, he may be swayed.

Certainly a test of character and loyalty. He hasn't really been at the club long enough for me to forgive him if he deserts us though.

Yet again the assumption that if they had given an answer to that question we would know about it. It's frustrating but we can only wait and see.

Personally I think any player coming through two lots of surgery and struggling to find form is unlikely to be begging for a move.

Why pile the extra pressure on and risk your reputation? In the last round of contract talks we met his every demand and they weren't extravagant even in terms of the pre-citeh era. I don't see him as a greedy character. I just think it appears to suit him to stay for another season and regain his fitness and form while trying to get back into the ECL. If we aren't by next season, he will go. But I can't see it happening this season.

On top of all that, no club will spend 60-70m on a player who is struggling to overcome an injury. Well, actually one club would...

Torres didn't need to comment on Hodgson. Stop looking into things more than what needs be, he could have just said "No comment, I'm focusing on the world cup" But no he said "He's a good appointment, he was good at Fulham and hopefully he's better at Liverpool"

That pretty much tells me he's more inclined to be here next season than not.

Torres speaks as Gerrard did a few days ago - words of encouragement but refers to the club as Liverpool rather than us/we

Spot on that Lawrie, Gerrards words were horrible to hear. He sounded like hes definately on his way the way he was non-commital on the club.

This from a man who stated the other year he was now here for life.

Words are easy to speak and even easier to go back on it would seem, if he does go like.