You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

I fucking love Iron Mike.. pity he ended up hanging around with leeches. Best Heavy Weight fighter in history at his prime - even better than Ali.

Yeah, he was so amazing beating legends like, er, Bruno, and um... can anyone name a great fighter that he ever beat?

'Better than Ali', what a stupid, uninformed comment.

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Total bullshit.

Ali would have destroyed Tyson. As would many fo teh great heavyweights of the 70s.

Tyson mostly fought fucking chumps. He was the only genuine world class heavyweight for years.

I'm not saying he wasn't a great fighter. He was. Without doubt one of the besty ever. But George Foreman, Joe Frazier, Muhammed Ali, Larry Holmes, Rocky Marciano and Joe Louis were all far better boxers than Tyson could ever dream of being. Plus, they all fought better fighters.

Holyfield has a good claim as well.

Have to agree with this, it is easy to say Tyson was the best but when you compare the guys he had to fight in his division to the ones knocking about in Ali's day it's like comparing a nice roast beef sarnie to a Jacobs cracker with a dollop of shit on top.

No doubt Tyson was fucking immense and he could only fight who was put in front of him but Marciano and Ali in my opinion were better.

The only boxing picture i posses is a great sketch of Ali when he was standing over Liston screaming to get up having just put him down.

AliListonSI.jpg

My barber has a large print of that in black and white on the wall of his shop, excellent picture.

AliListonSI.jpg

My barber has a large print of that in black and white on the wall of his shop, excellent picture.

Thats the one, awesome, never seen the actual photo. Big bad Sonny Liston broken up by a loud mouth kid, as arrogant as Ali was he could back it up. Shame to see him now when you know he is still witty and clever but cant co-ordinate himself properly. Although he did also occasionally go over the top aswell e.g Frazier.

Yeah, he was so amazing beating legends like, er, Bruno, and um... can anyone name a great fighter that he ever beat?

'Better than Ali', what a stupid, uninformed comment.

Tis the word. Tyson beat an old Larry Holmes coming off semi-retirement and two losses to a light-heavyweight. And that's it. He went to the top of the hill 3 times against Holyfield and Lewis and got battered 3 times for his troubles. A flat track bully. Easily the most overreated fighter of all time.

Tis the word. Tyson beat an old Larry Holmes coming off semi-retirement and two losses to a light-heavyweight. And that's it. He went to the top of the hill 3 times against Holyfield and Lewis and got battered 3 times for his troubles. A flat track bully. Easily the most overreated fighter of all time.

Sorry thats bollocks, Holmes wasn't exactly 50 when they fought and Tyson was the only person to ever KO him. Talking about Holyfield, which was 10 years after his prime when they fought and the Lewis fight when Lennox was in his prime.

No one and i mean no one had the movement, speed and power (at heavyweight) put together better then Tyson and all at 20!!!

If anyone is seriously going to compare Tyson at 30 to when he was 20 and call them the same fighter then they must be clueless I'm afraid, say what you will of the mans personality etc, but to call him a flat track bully because there was no one of Ali caliber about when he was ruling is just downright disrespectful.

you could say the same about someone like Rocky Marciano, beats old Joe Louis, then what? you can only beat whos put in front of you

Sorry thats bollocks, Holmes wasn't exactly 50 when they fought and Tyson was the only person to ever KO him. Talking about Holyfield, which was 10 years after his prime when they fought and the Lewis fight when Lennox was in his prime.

No one and i mean no one had the movement, speed and power (at heavyweight) put together better then Tyson and all at 20!!!

If anyone is seriously going to compare Tyson at 30 to when he was 20 and call them the same fighter then they must be clueless I'm afraid, say what you will of the mans personality etc, but to call him a flat track bully because there was no one of Ali caliber about when he was ruling is just downright disrespectful.

Better than Ali? I could go along with Tyson being the bigger hitter but can't agree on the movement.

There is so much wrong with those words that I don't even know where to begin. Suffice it to say that a great fighter overcomes adversity, digs deep and has to fight on the back foot aswell as the front foot. If you consider that knocking over statues is a mark of greatness, then indeed Tyson was great. Every time Tyson ever faced adversity he folded like an Origami set.

Tyson wouldn't make it into the top 10 Heavyweights of all time. Every time he faced an opponent who could move, box and fight he was shown up to be clueless. Holyfield would have beaten Tyson at any point during their respective careers. You use the 20 year old Tyson as a measure, you don't become an all time great on the basis of a couple of years, greatness is measured by a number of factors one of which is longevity. Tyson was on the slide before he went into Prison, Holyfield would have beaten him then, it was a man against a boy in Boxing terms. Can you imagine Tyson without Teddy Atlas and Cus D'Amato and Jim Jacobs? Can you imagine Tyson across the ring from someone like Jack Dempsey?

Name one fighter in their prime of any distinction that Tyson ever beat? He was weak mentally and when he was at his peak he wouldn't have known anywhere near enough to have beaten Louis, Ali, Holmes, Dempsey, Foreman or Holyfield. If you're short of numbers, you can add Ezzard Charles, Joe Frazier, Lennox Lewis and Sonny Liston aswell.

Larry Holmes at his peak struggled to beat Trevor Berbick, Tyson at age 20 destroyed world champion Berbick and then Holmes, he also destroyed the undefeated world champion Michael Spinks, as i said above, you can only beat whos put in front of you and at Tysons peak he destroyed them all

It's always his prime isn't it? Tyson's mythical prime. When did it end? Oh, that would be the very second he got beaten by Buster Douglas. So in the eyes of Tyson fans, he is pretty much unbeaten and we can ignore every other loss, cause they were past that prime of his.

And Holmes was finished when Tyson knocked him out. He never went on to win a significant title and was not the Holmes of old. And like I said, Tyson was a flat track bully - when things got tough, he usually quit.

There is so much wrong with those words that I don't even know where to begin. Suffice it to say that a great fighter overcomes adversity, digs deep and has to fight on the back foot aswell as the front foot. If you consider that knocking over statues is a mark of greatness, then indeed Tyson was great. Every time Tyson ever faced adversity he folded like an Origami set.

Tyson wouldn't make it into the top 10 Heavyweights of all time. Every time he faced an opponent who could move, box and fight he was shown up to be clueless. Holyfield would have beaten Tyson at any point during their respective careers. You use the 20 year old Tyson as a measure, you don't become an all time great on the basis of a couple of years, greatness is measured by a number of factors one of which is longevity. Tyson was on the slide before he went into Prison, Holyfield would have beaten him then, it was a man against a boy in Boxing terms. Can you imagine Tyson without Teddy Atlas and Cus D'Amato and Jim Jacobs? Can you imagine Tyson across the ring from someone like Jack Dempsey?

Name one fighter in their prime of any distinction that Tyson ever beat? He was weak mentally and when he was at his peak he wouldn't have known anywhere near enough to have beaten Louis, Ali, Holmes, Dempsey, Foreman or Holyfield. If you're short of numbers, you can add Ezzard Charles, Joe Frazier, Lennox Lewis and Sonny Liston aswell.

Where the fuck did i say he was the greatest fighter of all time?? if youd bothered to read back instead of launching into a fucking rant then youd see me not once say that he would have beaten any of the greatest, with the exception of Marciano. And how the fuck was he supposed to beat Jack fucking Dempsey in his prime when they fought 60 years apart?

Its one thing saying he is the greatest of all time (which i didnt) its another saying he would have caused problems for them (which is what i did say)

Larry Holmes at his peak struggled to beat Trevor Berbick, Tyson at age 20 destroyed world champion Berbick and then Holmes, he also destroyed the undefeated world champion Michael Spinks, as i said above, you can only beat whos put in front of you and at Tysons peak he destroyed them all

Struggled? 150-135, 146-139 and 146-140. He dropped between 0 and 4 rounds in 15. Some struggle. I bet Larry had to spend a few days in hospital recovering after that one.

Tyson beat a 38 year old Larry Holmes who had not fought in 2 years. Hardly a scalp.

And as I keep reminding those who continue to push the "prime Tyson would have beaten anyone in history" angle... "prime" Tyson got his ass knocked out by James 'Buster' Douglas!

And spare me the excuses that he wasn't training properly or had personal issues. At the end of the day he got into the ring and got knocked out by a nobody. And this is the guy that's supposed to be superior to Ali? Get outta here!

Oh let me think...His movement getting in and out of the bath... his overall ring movement, are you saying Tyson had more grace than Ali?

No, smartarse, Head/body movement. Ali didnt need to stay in the pocket due to the fact he was 6'3''. Ali was more evasive because he was taller, Tyson was shorter so therfore needed the head movement

Tyson beat a 38 year old Larry Holmes who had not fought in 2 years. Hardly a scalp.

And as I keep reminding those who continue to push the "prime Tyson would have beaten anyone in history" angle... "prime" Tyson got his ass knocked out by James 'Buster' Douglas!

And spare me the excuses that he wasn't training properly or had personal issues. At the end of the day he got into the ring and got knocked out by a nobody. And this is the guy that's supposed to be superior to Ali? Get outta here!

See this is where threads get filled with shite because of posts like this, i dont think with the exception of the first page anyone has claimed anything like this.

No, smartarse, Head/body movement. Ali didnt need to stay in the pocket due to the fact he was 6'3''. Ali was more evasive because he was taller, Tyson was shorter so therfore needed the head movement

OK thanks for clearing that up. So a guy needing to move his whole body VS a guy who only needs to move his head....