You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

A thread about a man named Xabi

dave u

What to do?  

239 members have voted

1. 1. What to do?

• Buy Dave House, Gerrard centre mid, go 442.
    • Buy Augero, Gerrard centre mid, stay 4231.
    • Gerrard in the hole, buy centre mid, stay 4231
    • Don’t care, kill Rafa, burn down RBS

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

£30m for Alonso is inflated.

To any normal club in any normal transfer window, Xabi wouldn't go for more than £20m a la last season.

If we sell him for £30m, buy an (admittedly inferior) replacement for £15m-odd and put the rest toward someone creative (Silva?), there would be an argument that we will be stronger for it.

The first para is arguable, but I think the other point is missing the point. Just because we'd be able to strengthen the squad with that 30m doesn't mean that it's a fair price. Xabi Alonso is pretty much without equal. It would probably cost us a lot more than £30m if we wanted to buy Xavi to replace him.

£30m for Alonso is inflated.

To any normal club in any normal transfer window, Xabi wouldn't go for more than £20m a la last season.

If we sell him for £30m, buy an (admittedly inferior) replacement for £15m-odd and put the rest toward someone creative (Silva?), there would be an argument that we will be stronger for it.

Yes it is overinflated, but so was Johnson, all because of this quota shit!!

The first para is arguable, but I think the other point is missing the point. Just because we'd be able to strengthen the squad with that 30m doesn't mean that it's a fair price. Xabi Alonso is pretty much without equal. It would probably cost us a lot more than £30m if we wanted to buy Xavi to replace him.

Fair enough. It's pretty much all debatable so I guess they are just my views.

For me personally, I won't be able to see the full impact of Alonso has on our team until we start playing without him. Which hopefully we don't, but it looks increasingly like we will.

If Veron is worth £28m 8 years ago and Mendietta is worth £28m 6 years ago then Alonso is worth £35m without a shadow of a doubt especially when you consider that he is a Spanish player being sold to a Spanish club.

Denilson was worth $32m 10 years ago

Shevchenko was worth £28m two years ago.

Ronaldo was worth £80m this summer.

Alonso was worth £15m last summer.

Lassana Diarra was worth £6m two years ago, and £18m a year ago.

This has really cleared up my thinking. Thank you for providing such amazing clarity by picking some fucking random transfer fees out of your puckered arsehole and posting them in this thread. You pointless halfwitted cunt.

Fair enough. It's pretty much all debatable so I guess they are just my views.

For me personally, I won't be able to see the full impact of Alonso has on our team until we start playing without him. Which hopefully we don't, but it looks increasingly like we will.

Yup, and going by last season's efforts without him, that could be hard work.

Pardeza says that Granero is a completely different player to Xabi, and his arrival does noe effect their interest in Xabi in any way.

He goes on to say that they are not looking at alternatives, as there are no other player like Xabi. He also says that signing Arbeloa is an option they are looking at,

Guest RafaIsRafa
straight cash should be the only option.

The only option should be the one the manager wants, if that includes a player (And Negredo is far from being a Nunez) then hurry up and get it done.

I am worried that if we just get cash that other clubs will bump up the price but as Rafa is very pragmatic i expect he has deals set up already and the players have said us or no one and the clubs have to sell.

If Xabi goes of his own free will, he is not the winner i thought he was, happy to leave a job unfinished.

I am worried that if we just get cash that other clubs will bump up the price but as Rafa is very pragmatic i expect he has deals set up already and the players have said us or no one and the clubs have to sell.

If Xabi goes of his own free will, he is not the winner i thought he was, happy to leave a job unfinished.

What kind of Winner will he be if he goes then? A Michael Winner?