You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Do our memories make experiences seem better than they were?

Elite

When you think back to certain times of your life, you will get that feeling when you remember a great experience or period of living. This feeling tells you that life in those times was amazing but on reflection were things really as great as your mind tells you? Sure they were good times but from a personal viewpoint my memory rose tints everything to the extreme.

When you think back to certain times of your life, you will get that feeling when you remember a great experience or period of living. This feeling tells you that life in those times was amazing but on reflection were things really as great as your mind tells you? Sure they were good times but from a personal viewpoint my memory rose tints everything to the extreme.

Interesting point.

I'm not sure my memory puts a particular slant on anything, although obviously if the memory contains a dead relative then more often than not there'll be positve feelings involved because I miss them.

Childhood memories tend to be positive as they remind you of a time when life was relatively stress free. Looking back, early childhood for me seemed simple but extremely boring, I was never very good at being a kid. I remember trying to impress upon the local bully my plans for a mini-submarine based on something I'd seen on last of the summer wine, I'd even arranged to have my nan and mum club together for a scuba diver's Oxygen tank.

Saturday was one of the best days I've ever had. Won the league on goal difference with a massive battling performance and then went out on the lash. It's fresh in my mind and I'm telling you now, there's no way nostalgia can make it any better over time.

Sport is awesome.