You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Anyone met/talked to past or present players?

Diddyman

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was working in San Francisco as a wanky student at the time of the USA World Cup a few years ago and was walking down the street to work 9am, Rushie was standing outside the Fiddlers Green pub having a pint with some dick headed Nike Execs. He looked pretty bored.

Well being a MASSIVE fan since i can remember watching him as a nipper, i nearly shat myself and screamed out loud "HOLY FUCK ITS IAN RUSH!"

i walked right past in embarressment and my mate Richie started swearing at me for being a tool bag.

We got about 10 yards and he called us back and we bought him a round of drinks and he bought one back, took a few photos and signed my LFC shirt. I think we chewed the cud for a good hour. What a gentleman, down to earth and not a sign of any ego. It made my holiday.

We were working as biking tour guides and even met half the brasil team, i think it was Dunga in my cab but nothing came close to meeting Rushie.

Guest Ulysses Everett McGill
xabim.jpg

Andy couldn't go out for a quiet drink without being pestered for his photograph

I don't mind

After we beat a mancs 4-1 I was in a club in Manchester, and met Glen Johnson, Jermaine Pennant and Peter Crouch and quite a few other Portsmouth players (I think they played boro away that day, so not sure why they were in Manchester). Reina and Insua were also there. All of them were really sound, except Glen Johnson who was a bit miserable - Crouchie even bought a bottle of vodka for our group.

I sat at a 8 seat table with Des Lynham, David Pleat, Steve Coppell, Norm Cook and Brighton's Chairman in the board room. I never said a word. My mate did catch a glimpse of little David at the urinal though. Not one to be proud of.

I've also chatted up Molly Sugden.

So to answer the original thread title, no.

We have a villa, in a place called Quinta Do lago, in the Algarve, near Vale De Lobo. Alot of footie players have villas there. Ive met, said hi to, quick chat to Carra, Thommo, Kewell and Gary Mac there, also got Davy Thompson to take a photo of us there too. Even saw Cashley Cole last week at Ascot, asked if Cherly was safe with him on the prowl, wasnt amused though.

Otherwise, i met Macca and Fowler in the SAS Radisson after the 97 Grand National , they had a box near ours and I said i wanted a photo, then bumped into them at the hotel afterwards and got said photo.

As a kid i met my hero, Emlyn at Wembley and bumped into Rushie a few times when in Wales for internationals.

Of them all Fowler, Davey T and Gary Mac were the easiest going and easiest to talk to, just chatted like any other fan, Davey T had just left, erm, Blackburn or Portsmouth ? when i saw him, so he seemed a bit gutted but hoped it may get sorted. that said, they were the ones i had time to have a good chat too. The others were more 'hi, great player, love LFC good luck kindathings', expect Emlyn 'Hello Kidda, Sure I'll give you an autograph. Love Liverpol do you, good lad' *ruffles my hair with a massive girn* great man.

Going through the tunnel pay booths a couple of years back at the Wallasey end, the car in front of me slows down to put the dosh into the basket and as the driver's hand came out of the window and threw the coins into the basket, some of them obviously missed.

Cue the door opening and the driver getting out, it was Bruce Grobelaar.

He picked up the coins and looked back at me and mouthed " Don't tell anyone!"

Big smile, into the car, money into the basket and away.

Kept me amused all that day.

Surprising, that, with his (alleged) experience of 'throwing a few in'.