You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exactly.

Let's face it people if you are playing against 2 banks of 4 and the play is compressed into the final 45 yards there is not going to be much movement when there is no space to run into. The question is what can Xabi do in that situation which we face a lot? Not a lot because he can't play 1-2s, he can't arrive late, he can't get in front of the ball, he can't shoot on target etc etc Ask yourself what Scholes does and ask if Xabi does it.

It's not the wingers or strikers fault that defenders are doubled up on them. Sure they could do more, but the stark reality of the situation is that Xabi needs to be able to change the game when everyone is doubled up. He's shown time and time again he can't.

Xabi is the best for playing in open games, in games with no space he is too 1 dimensional. Negg away but that is just a fact.

He's only played 2 games :whistle:

Whatever u think of him he's a better player than Ngog or El zhar and that's who Rafa said we had to replace him.

He`s played 2 games for them, 3 at most. Are you expecting 10 goals a game ratio.

No I'm not. Not on the basis of his previous goal to game ratio when he was playing for us. People seem to forget that Robbie missed a hell of a lot of chances when he was weraing our shirt. But hey, no doubt you think he'd have been banging them in had he been here. Maybe he would, but the evidence of this season suggests otherwise. Oh, and I did watch his first game back in a Spurs shirt. He was presented with a header from eight yards and an open goal. Thew keeper had anticipated the cross and sold himself. Robbie only needed to get it on target. It was a nice height. He missed.

I like Robbie Keane, but I'm a little tired of hearing how it'd all be different if he was here when evidence suggests otherwise.

Let's face it people if you are playing against 2 banks of 4 and the play is compressed into the final 45 yards there is not going to be much movement when there is no space to run into. The question is what can Xabi do in that situation which we face a lot? Not a lot because he can't play 1-2s, he can't arrive late, he can't get in front of the ball, he can't shoot on target etc etc Ask yourself what Scholes does and ask if Xabi does it.

It's not the wingers or strikers fault that defenders are doubled up on them. Sure they could do more, but the stark reality of the situation is that Xabi needs to be able to change the game when everyone is doubled up. He's shown time and time again he can't.

Xabi is the best for playing in open games, in games with no space he is too 1 dimensional. Negg away but that is just a fact.

Spot motherfucking on.

we could do with barry to be honest. Xabi in europe and Barry in the prem. Alonso is a great player and has been our best player this year but maybe he is not what is required to win the prem. I think in the prem you need a goal threat from the centre midfield slots and he is a terrible shooter and can really struggle with set pieces and playing the long pass. I would play him in the prem as a holder if he was next to an attacking , fast goal scoring threat but not him and masch together

The prem demands pace and power and out and out holders are not really needed imo.

We need a goal threat from all over the pitch. Our full backs rarely score, our centre backs get very few, our centre mids hardly ever score, our wingers dont score many and if Torres or Gerrard are off form or injured then we are impotent and the pace of the prem means we are likely to concede if masch is off form as our defenders are not exceptional individuals they are just a great unit. Agger is vital and should be playing every game when fit and our flanks need sorting and an attacking centre mid must be bought.

we could do with barry to be honest. Xabi in europe and Barry in the prem. Alonso is a great player and has been our best player this year but maybe he is not what is required to win the prem. I think in the prem you need a goal threat from the centre midfield slots and he is a terrible shooter and can really struggle with set pieces and playing the long pass. I would play him in the prem as a holder if he was next to an attacking , fast goal scoring threat but not him and masch together

The prem demands pace and power and out and out holders are not really needed imo.

We need a goal threat from all over the pitch. Our full backs rarely score, our centre backs get very few, our centre mids hardly ever score, our wingers dont score many and if Torres or Gerrard are off form or injured then we are impotent and the pace of the prem means we are likely to concede if masch is off form as our defenders are not exceptional individuals they are just a great unit. Agger is vital and should be playing every game when fit and our flanks need sorting and an attacking centre mid must be bought.

Problem with that is he has no pace and can't protect against the counter attack! It pains me to say it, but he's too limited for us.

Problem with that is he has no pace and can't protect against the counter attack! It pains me to say it, but he's too limited for us.

I think he would be okay if our cb's had pace. I don't really mean a holder in the masch sense either just someone a bit deeper. Our defence dont seem to be able to cope when they are shielded and maybe we need more pace in our defence to cope.

I agree he is a bit slow, perfect for europe though. He has had a fantastic season for us. I think he has done so well adapting to the english league even after his struggles. He could go to la liga or serie a and be one of the best players in either league imo.

I think he would be okay if our cb's had pace. I don't really mean a holder in the masch sense either just someone a bit deeper. Our defence dont seem to be able to cope when they are shielded and maybe we need more pace in our defence to cope.

I agree he is a bit slow, perfect for europe though. He has had a fantastic season for us. I think he has done so well adapting to the english league even after his struggles. He could go to la liga or serie a and be one of the best players in either league imo.

Problem is we don't have pacy CHs!

Yep him and Lucas will tear up the slower leagues, it's a pity they haven't been able to assert their quality on the game here.

Just a thought,where everyone seems to think that Xabi would make way for Barry,how about keeping Alonso and offloading Mascherano for Barry,like i say just a thought.

Then we wouldn't have a decent defensive midfielder, that's too much of a risk.

Then we wouldn't have a decent defensive midfielder, that's too much of a risk.

I think in league games,we only have too modiffy are tactics in 6 games,Mancs/Arsenal/Chelsea home and away,we should have enough about us,not to worry about the opposition in the other 32 games.

Just a thought,where everyone seems to think that Xabi would make way for Barry,how about keeping Alonso and offloading Mascherano for Barry,like i say just a thought.

Especially if Mascherano is unable to settle in the area and wanting to leave in the summer anyways.

I think in league games,we only have too modiffy are tactics in 6 games,Mancs/Arsenal/Chelsea home and away,we should have enough about us,not to worry about the opposition in the other 32 games.

Counter attacks happen regardless of who you are playing against.