You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've heard if they lose the case, free banking will be a thing of the past. The cunts will start charging you to have a bank account to recoup the loss.

For people that go overdrawn or are not able to manage their finances properly, there should be a monthly charge; perhaps they would be a bit more careful.

If I was to wander into Waitrose and nick a bag of carrots I would expect some comeback; I wouldn't moan that it is "unfair" - the same with bank charges.

Introducing the man who has never made a mistake in his life , ladies and gentlemen i give you Reverand Madstock!

Nah, I make more mistakes than most; it's about accepting responsibility for your own actions and mistakes though.

I agree that it is tough at times to juggle everything, particularly at Uni, but the whole "beating the Demon Banks with a shitty stick" thing is a bit of a bloody cheek in my opinion; as banks have a responsibility to their customers, likewise customers have a responsibility to the banks.

Nah, I make more mistakes than most; it's about accepting responsibility for your own actions and mistakes though.

I agree that it is tough at times to juggle everything, particularly at Uni, but the whole "beating the Demon Banks with a shitty stick" thing is a bit of a bloody cheek in my opinion; as banks have a responsibility to their customers, likewise customers have a responsibility to the banks.

Whats with this Überresponsibility. The bank charges are being claimed back because they were extortionate not because its OK for people to act irresponsibly with their finances.

Totally disagree, banks dont give two fucks about their customers , they make cock ups by the bucket load and can you charge the horrible fuckers ?

Can you fuck as like.

For some people a small bank charge can spiral into serious debt , and the banks love it

Vermin.

Mongy, there's a difference between someone going over a tenner now and again, and people who are in severe financial difficulties being charged multiple times every month, increasing a circle of debt they have no chance of getting out of. I think your attitude is slightly sanctimonious. I've had times where my monthly bank charges have far exceeded my monthly income. Banks are vultures, I hate the fuckers.

Whats with this Überresponsibility. The bank charges are being claimed back because they were extortionate not because its OK for people to act irresponsibly with their finances.

But the banks weren't the ones who forced people who were charged to accrue those charges.

I agree - from what I have read, bank charges were extortionate, but ultimately it was the customer who put themselves in the position to be charged. (Albeit in certain cases due in part to the banks "making it easy").

Totally disagree, banks dont give two fucks about their customers , they make cock ups by the bucket load and can you charge the horrible fuckers ?

Can you fuck as like.

For some people a small bank charge can spiral into serious debt , and the banks love it

Vermin.

No, banks don't give two fucks - but why should they? Financial institutions like any other business exist to make money; if you don't adhere to the terms of your account with a bank you get charged.

When banks cock up, of course you can charge them; they are held to account by the banking code, the OFT, the FSA and all manner of other regulatory bodies.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying "This person who accidentally went £1 overdrawn on one occasion was right to get hit with a fuck-off charge", although I do feel that in general the overwhelming consumer-driven, need-it-now society, with it's ethos of "stick it on the card, worry about it later" is reaping what it has sown.

But the banks weren't the ones who forced people who were charged to accrue those charges.

I agree - from what I have read, bank charges were extortionate, but ultimately it was the customer who put themselves in the position to be charged. (Albeit in certain cases due in part to the banks "making it easy").

No, banks don't give two fucks - but why should they? Financial institutions like any other business exist to make money; if you don't adhere to the terms of your account with a bank you get charged.

When banks cock up, of course you can charge them; they are held to account by the banking code, the OFT, the FSA and all manner of other regulatory bodies.

Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying "This person who accidentally went £1 overdrawn on one occasion was right to get hit with a fuck-off charge", although I do feel that in general the overwhelming consumer-driven, need-it-now society, with it's ethos of "stick it on the card, worry about it later" is reaping what it has sown.

They should give fuck because they make incredible profits without screwing people into the ground

If people who have plenty of cash are lapse with their accounts and go overdrawn willy nilly then yes , nail them.

But they dont go after the "good" customers , they sting the ones one the breadline.

I repeat, horrible cunts.

That has nothing to do with it. The banks imposed the charges. The fact that a customer incurred a penalty doesnt make it OK for the bank to abuse him.

How long have you been a Tory? I'm truly shocked.

People dont need anything right now they are driven to consumption by companies who try to make them think that. This ethos that you talk about is what marketing is all about propagating.

It's good when they charge £35 for a direct debit attempt of £12 that they don't actually pay due to you not having the money in your account. At one time they would reject the DD and take the £35 charge out on the spot. I think now they have to wait a few weeks before taking the £35 out. And you might also get charged by whoever it is that the £12 DD is supposed to go to.

Absolute madness.

Will the human race eat itself?

Banks are shops. They sell you money. They have no more responsibility to their customer than Currys. It's shite. It stinks. But that's the way it is. The problem arises when people see banks as some sort of benevolent organisation. They're not, they're a business.

Banks are shops. They sell you money. They have no more responsibility to their customer than Currys. It's shite. It stinks. But that's the way it is. The problem arises when people see banks as some sort of benevolent organisation. They're not, they're a business.

Sorry , but i just see them as glorified loan-sharks.

The OFT has gotten into them for a reason, they are guilty as fuck of breaking agreements and overcharging customers .

The banks are cunts when they take their account fees and overdraft fees out which then puts your account overdrawn, which results in them charging you £30 for going over your overdraft and then £30 a day until you clear your balance. This is how so many people's finances spiral out of control the robbing bastards. Like someone has already said a one off monthly charge should be the penalty for going over your overdraft.

How long have you been a Tory? I'm truly shocked.

Elizabeth! You know me better than anyone, and that ... hurt.

As a society we have the moral duty to look after those that are in need through no "fault" of their own. If someone has to choose between buying food and buying shoes for the kids, then the so-called welfare state should be intervening, not the banks. (Unless the parent involved is intellectually sub-normal, in which case I would advocate some sort of workhouse/correctional facility/gas chamber).

I am referring specifically to the bank customer that overspends out of want and greed as opposed to need.

Sure, the banks have extended credit to people that they really shouldn't have; they aren't blameless by any stretch of the imagination (and I do generally lump them with undertakers as my least favourite profession as they are always willing to jump onto misfortune), but my ethos is simple : if you can't afford it, and it isn't a necessity, then don't buy it.

I wish the school curriculum could be extended to incorporate essential life-skills such as "thinking for yourself", "financial planning" and "personal responsibility".

Karl Marx said "A Modern society is one which has capitalism as it's base"; he wasn't far wrong there. Not that I am moaning, as capitalism has served me well, although you know the moral problems I have at times with sites offering loans, credit cards etc.

Also, whilst on the subject, organizations such as Provident/Shop-a-check etc. should be banned, with some sort of government-ran "crisis loan" centre offering a fair deal for the worst off.

Fucking Tory indeed.

That's what I meant.