You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Reserves vs Newcastle tonight

coop

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thought Insua was the best player on the pitch for us.

Nemeth had some good touches but just lacked that bit of composure and luck in front of goal.

Impressed again with Plessis. I thought he was very good in midfield and did well considering he had a yellow for much of the game.

San Jose and Huth looked good in the centre especially San Jose who looked very composed in the middle.

Spent yesterday evening watching reserves for first time on TV. While watching I was reminded of Dave U's comment in the Barnsley report on Martin and Itandje, which then made me question the wider point of the reserves overall (certainly under current regime, but probably in the wider scale of modern football).

With Liverpool (and others) bringing in so many other players (from wherever, often not UK, but that is not my point) for any position- what hope does a reserve player from last night have of breaking into the first team? Therefore what is point of the reserves? Dave has already mentioned goalkeeper, where Martin does not have a chance of first team football, but the same is in defence (where Skrtel has recently been added, so what chance those playing last night or Hobbs), midfield, where we already have too many first teamers who sem to stuck in no-mans-land of neither reserve or first team - so what chance Plessis, etc..Where can the motivation be for these lads?

Contrast that to times past - where the reserves were genuinely for the second 11 and the chance to come through. I wonder how many of those players in today's circumstances would come through? Surely a Rush would have a Kuyt, Torres or Cisse placed ahead of him, or a Gerrard would have an Alonso, Mascherano or Lucas?

While you may argue the class of these players would have shone through - as far as I know each of our players that have come through the reserves (in the past) have looked a bit rough at the start an needed "blooding", but today that opportunity doesnt seem to be there? After all, who is to say that a Hoobs couldnt become a Hansen over a season of Premiership exposure, or a Spearing a Gerrard?

Just a thought mind...

Is now the right time to give them a chance? We're scrapping for 4th place, we need experienced players. If we were comfortable in 4th with a few games to go, give them a chance but I don't know how anybody can reasonably think that now is the time to do that.

I see your point Dirk, but I'd pick Insua over Riise/Aurelio every day of the week and twice on Sunday at the moment.

I don't think we should be throwing a few of them in at once, but Insua should be in there and I'd bring Nemeth into the squad too, even if it's just to come off the bench. Young strikers tend to show no fear, and thats what we need right now.

Is now the right time to give them a chance? We're scrapping for 4th place, we need experienced players. If we were comfortable in 4th with a few games to go, give them a chance but I don't know how anybody can reasonably think that now is the time to do that.

I have been thinking about this lately. The cl is extremely important financially and to attract players. Put that aside for a bit and consider this...

In the long run what would be the best option?

1. Ditch players that has no long term future here and play the best reserves that may have what it take to make the grade, sacrificing next years CL in the process. A year out of the cl, would also makes it easier going for the league.

2. Play the experienced squad players who are better in the short run, but in the long run have no future, which again mau affect their performances.

If we only could afford a season without the CL ( which we may very well end up with anyway ) I believe it would be in our best interest to ease some of the youngsters in, giving them valuable experience and a huge moral boost. Not talking about throwing in many of them. But give Insua some games at left back, Maybe have Nemeth and/or Spearing on the bench in some matches. Spearing would learn alot playing alongside gerrard or Mascherano for 20 minutes here and there. Players like Kewell, knowing he has no future here wont perform to his potential, maybe even holding back to avoid injuries before a bosman move.

What those youngsters would give us is giving 100% effort, which I dont always think is happening with some of the first teamers.

We'll hopefully see more on the bench next season.

It'd be nice if, as well as introducing the 7 subs rule, there was some sort of rule which encouraged the extra 2 places to go to young and/or home grown players.

If I were Rafa, I'd be looking to fill those spots with promising players more often than not.

I have been thinking about this lately. The cl is extremely important financially and to attract players. Put that aside for a bit and consider this...

In the long run what would be the best option?

1. Ditch players that has no long term future here and play the best reserves that may have what it take to make the grade, sacrificing next years CL in the process. A year out of the cl, would also makes it easier going for the league.

2. Play the experienced squad players who are better in the short run, but in the long run have no future, which again mau affect their performances.

If we only could afford a season without the CL ( which we may very well end up with anyway ) I believe it would be in our best interest to ease some of the youngsters in, giving them valuable experience and a huge moral boost. Not talking about throwing in many of them. But give Insua some games at left back, Maybe have Nemeth and/or Spearing on the bench in some matches. Spearing would learn alot playing alongside gerrard or Mascherano for 20 minutes here and there. Players like Kewell, knowing he has no future here wont perform to his potential, maybe even holding back to avoid injuries before a bosman move.

What those youngsters would give us is giving 100% effort, which I dont always think is happening with some of the first teamers.

I don't see how not being in the CL would give the youngsters games.

I'd like us to play one or two at a time when we are playing well and confidence is high.

Can you imagine if Rafa actually played Insua?

For fucks sake the whole world ended when he rested Gerrard and used the reserve goalkeeper.

"He's rotating blah blah blah... He's learned nothing since 2005... blah blah blah"

I'd love Rafa to be able to play who he wants, when he wants but the media won't let him and whats worse, the Fans won't let him.

I don't see how not being in the CL would give the youngsters games.

I'd like us to play one or two at a time when we are playing well and confidence is high.

I meant games for the remainder of this season. I dont think playing Insua at left back, or having Nemeth on the bench instead of kuyt or Voronin would weaken us that much. Spearing in the middle would`nt be that much worse than an Alonso playing like he did on Saturday.

Im not talking about throwing them all in at once, but to have them involved. in an ideal world we could ease them in when we were flying. But in reality is that Fowler, McManaman, Gerrard, Thompson, Carragher, Matteo etc where given their chances in teams that were really struggling.

My point was if we could afford to sacrifice cl for next season to think ahead, would that be so bad in the long run? In my opinion there is no clear cut answer to that question.

Off course under the current clima at the club it`s a hypotetical question, as Rafa cant afford to think that way, as it would cost him his job.

I think he has proved many, many times that he doesn't care about that.

If he's not playing someone its not for that reason.

He might not care about the Media but he does care about the fans...

And I honestly think he's come to the stage where he has to balance his own ideas with what will actually keep him in a job if things go wrong.

I see your point Dirk, but I'd pick Insua over Riise/Aurelio every day of the week and twice on Sunday at the moment.

I don't think we should be throwing a few of them in at once, but Insua should be in there and I'd bring Nemeth into the squad too, even if it's just to come off the bench. Young strikers tend to show no fear, and thats what we need right now.

At most times, I would agree with the principle of not throwing young players into a side that's struggling for confidence/form etc. But, given just how bad some of our players are currently performing, and how well some of the reserves have been playing, the risks seem minimal right now if handled in the right way.

Two other reasons why it makes sense; first, it's clear that a number of players do not have long-term futures at the club (i.e. beyond this season). A key decision in the summer will be where to invest and how much to spend on replacements. If it can be established that Insua, Nemeth etc can cope with first team football now, then that must be useful to factor into any decisions about where we strengthen and with whom.

Secondly, you can hear the groans at the moment when certain players make a poor decision or try something that doesn't come off. I do it myself, but magnified by 30,000, it's one hell of a downer. I don't believe that the same error by younger, untested players would get the same response. People cut youngsters a lot more slack than they do more established players. This can only be good for morale.

Has he progressed from last season? Because he didn't look like he was ready against Fulham last year.

I can't think of a single player that looked ready against Fulham last year. It was only the impending Athens trip that kept me from leaping off the back of the stand and into the Thames!

I meant games for the remainder of this season. I dont think playing Insua at left back, or having Nemeth on the bench instead of kuyt or Voronin would weaken us that much. Spearing in the middle would`nt be that much worse than an Alonso playing like he did on Saturday.

Im not talking about throwing them all in at once, but to have them involved. in an ideal world we could ease them in when we were flying. But in reality is that Fowler, McManaman, Gerrard, Thompson, Carragher, Matteo etc where given their chances in teams that were really struggling.

My point was if we could afford to sacrifice cl for next season to think ahead, would that be so bad in the long run? In my opinion there is no clear cut answer to that question.

Off course under the current clima at the club it`s a hypotetical question, as Rafa cant afford to think that way, as it would cost him his job.

I misinterpreted your post, mate.

I'd not want them playing now except maybe Insua and that's down to Riise being so bad these days.

If we just gave up on the CL, in any season never mind this, most fans would go absolutely crazy and call for the manager's head.

I dont understand why Nemeth hasn't been involved in the first team already as well as Insua

young attacking players at top clubs getting a go include Dos Santos, Benzema, Pato, Bojan, etc. they always give a good account of themselves. im not saying Nemeth is as good as them but at least get him involved as he is too good for the reserves

Interesting comments from all - but I suppose my point was not specifically addressed at the first team's current situation (fighting for fourth place etc) but at any point in time. There is a piece in today's Guardian with a comparison of Wenger and Benitez about how many players have been brought through. Regardless of the comparison, the number is none to date by Benitez. Not sure how many you would allocate to Houllier, but this is not a Liverpool/Benitez specific phenomenon. How many of that Newcastle team last night are in contention for their first team.

And with regard to the CL qualification dilemma and associated revenue - arent the reserve players viewed as an investment any more? They all cost something to bring them in, to pay them for their contracts, so why discard or not consider them more seriously for contention. For example, wny bing in a Jack Hobbs (for whatever cost), have him on a contract, give him a couple of games (where he didnt fuck up big time I believe) and then knock him down the pecking order for Skrtel who has never played in the UK and is not exactly a household name. Maybe Skrtel will develop into the next Hansen as well, but why the commitment to him rather the development of existing talent? Dont get it really...

After all - you develop another Rush, Hansen, Gerrard, Fowler, Owen - what will they be worth? Wouldnt need CL funds then??!!