You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Purple Ribbon

Guest Paul Downey

Excuse me for criticising the city. I should've known better than to make a perfectly legitimate remark about Liverpool and a campaign which seems to me to be just another attempt at a) selling newspapers, and b) creating this warm feeling of pseudotogetherness. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. I'll know next time to only talk about how great this paradise on earth is.

Of course, had I been scouse I'd wager that I could've said pretty much whatever I liked. Mr Moustache's post on the "hypocrisy of our city" thread not more than a couple of days ago is a fine example.

Interestingly, the robslappa post count in that particular thread, is 0.

But then I suppose it's easier to jump on the outsider who, after all, knows fuck all about what Liverpool is like.

It wouldn't be a wall of silence if people genuinely didn't know. But the way the police have tried to get the local neighbourhood to talk to them suggests that is definitely not the case and that the information is out there.

Can I at the same time ask how many guns will be kept off the streets by you and me wearing a purple ribbon or wristband? None, that's how many.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse me for criticising the city. I should've known better than to make a perfectly legitimate remark about Liverpool and a campaign which seems to me to be just another attempt at a) selling newspapers, and b) creating this warm feeling of pseudotogetherness. I'm sorry, but that's how I feel. I'll know next time to only talk about how great this paradise on earth is.

Of course, had I been scouse I'd wager that I could've said pretty much whatever I liked. Mr Moustache's post on the "hypocrisy of our city" thread not more than a couple of days ago is a fine example.

But then I suppose it's easier to jump on the outsider who, after all, knows fuck all about what Liverpool is like.

It wouldn't be a wall of silence if people genuinely didn't know. But the way the police have tried to get the local neighbourhood to talk to them suggests that is definitely not the case and that the information is out there.

Can I at the same time ask how many guns will be kept off the streets by you and me wearing a purple ribbon or wristband? None, that's how many.

did you ever write for the sun?

read some of my previous posts about watertight case.

Should I interpret that as an insult?

no.but you sound like boris johnson and anyone else who has ago about liverpool and whatever it feels it has to do to grieve.

does the justice campaign mean anything to you?

that also is not an insult.

but surely you can't separate the two.

if you lived in norriss green like i do,believe me you would have a different view.

a pub here has also adopted a similar theme of unity,got shut of the shitheads both in and outside with there hard dogs and made it a safer place for local people to drink.

as it happens my bird works with rhys mum and believe me she is thankful for any help she can get,as i am sure you would be if you lost a child in any circumstances.

so sorry fella it does work.

Let's get one thing straight, I never jumped on your comment because of where you're from. I had a go because I disagreed with it no other reason.

I've never suggested this place is Paradise on earth or everyone is salt of the earth, good honest people. They're not far from it, but I don't feel it's necessary to generalise and tar everyone with the same brush either which is what you did but somehow in your view that's legitimate.

The information is out there undoubtedly but as I said before it's probably only held by a few a people so why have a go at everyone?

As for the Echo, every paper that runs a campaign like this will have sales in mind, I've got no doubts. But is a campaign to get guns off the streets a bad thing? Also wearing a ribbon is not going to directly take guns off gang members but if it gets politicians, police talking because of the public attention and makes them take positive action then it has helped.

See that's what I mean, outsiders can't say anything about Liverpool without it being interpreted as another attack. Doesn't make for a good environment to discuss the city, does it?.

I hope they find whoever killed Rhys and of course I support the justice campaign because it's important to achieve justice for the 96.

EDIT: That top comment was obviously meant for sheshot, not rob.

I accept your points, Rob, although I don't think I was having a go at everyone.

See that's what I mean, outsiders can't say anything about Liverpool without it being interpreted as another attack. Doesn't make for a good environment to discuss the city, does it?.

I hope they find whoever killed Rhys and of course I support the justice campaign because it's important to achieve justice for the 96.

EDIT: That top comment was obviously meant for sheshot, not rob.

I accept your points, Rob, although I don't think I was having a go at everyone.

so support any campaign that gives people a better life.

just for the record i didn't know or care were you are from,if someone supports liverpool,happy days.

but you generalise about issues that aren't close to you.

as for finding the killer.if you knew would be come forward?

pub on the east lancs road barred some of these fuckers,guess what?

burnt down,same at mcdonalds on queens drive.

shops told they will be torched if they open on day of "soldiers" funeral,all bar shut.scared?fuckin right they are.

they are not hard twats but they have big fuckoff guns that kill you.

have faith in the police, the twat will be caught.

*stands and applauds for about 3 hours*

"A purple ribbon is worn to raise awareness for gay homosexuals, HIV and AIDS survival. It is also a symbol of pride worn by 'queers' on Gay Pride Day. It is also a symbol used by football stars whose mission is to protect our children from groving up in heteronormative homes. Liverpool FC profile Jamie Carragher was the driving force behind purple ribbon month in England."

SOURCE: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Purple_ribbon

Is a gay homosexual a straight person?

Can I ask why none of this outrage was put on here when Mr Moustache posted on the same subject earlier in the week, even using the word hypocrisy?

sorry didn't see it,on gf? don't use it much.

point me to it and i will view.

i'm not reading back over the posts,but did anyone say you oot's or whatever?

far to heavy for a friday night,i'm in work,why aren't you all out?

Can I ask why none of this outrage was put on here when Mr Moustache posted on the same subject earlier in the week, even using the word hypocrisy?

After reading the thread and then reading the link which someone posted of the Manc having a pop, I decided against it. After reading the same thing tonight, I decided to post my opinion. Nothing to do with who said it or where they're from.

And for the record I fail to see how the city is being hypocritical because of the actions of a few and that's what it is the actions of a few, not the crime of a city.

What outrage Pete? You certainly never got that reaction from me. I agree with you basic point Pete, what I take issue with is your apparent blanket accusations.

"I doubt whether most people actually care any longer" is a hellava statement to make.

I moved away from Liverpool years ago for many reasons, every time I come home I'm reminded of those very reasons. I still love the place and the people though, faults and all.

It seems to me you enjoy the baiting of being a non scouser, along with Chris who positively revels in his judgement of all things Scouse.

I'm not berating the pair of you because deep down I'm positive we share many thoughts on my city, but please bare this in mind lads;

You choose to live where you live.

What outrage Pete? You certainly never got that reaction from me. I agree with you basic point Pete, what I take issue with is your apparent blanket accusations.

"I doubt whether most people actually care any longer" is a hellava statement to make.

I moved away from Liverpool years ago for many reasons, every time I come home I'm reminded of those very reasons. I still love the place and the people though, faults and all.

It seems to me you enjoy the baiting of being a non scouser, along with Chris who positively revels in his judgement of all things Scouse.

I'm not berating the pair of you because deep down I'm positive we share many thoughts on my city, but please bare this in mind lads;

You choose to live where you live.

Show me where else I've made critical remarks about the city. You won't find many because I think on the whole I have shown great respect for this place and the people in it. I've been here for a little more than two years now and you're just going to have to trust me when I say I haven't posted on this thread to bait anyone.

Liverpool is like no other city - for good and bad. Only to me it seems you can't talk about the bad unless you're from here because people will rally round the city and will see it only as another attack. I was linked with the sun and compared to Boris Johnson earlier in the thread.

If it's true what robslappa said about the McDonald's and that pub, and I have no reason to doubt it, then that is exactly the kind of thing that should be put on the local news agenda, ie. the Echo front page. Celebrities peddling a ribbon (we can all agree kids shouldn't be carrying guns) is celebrating the city's great togetherness while at the same time closing people's eyes to whatever doesn't fit with that image.

Pete's made some good points, and put opinions forward, and has been attacked by some for doing so.

Liverpool does seem to defend itself a lot - but is that because scousers are more sensitive or because Liverpool gets a lot of shit?

I wasn't having a go at Pete by the way, in fact I agree with some of his points. I was just pointing out how the generalistic manner was maybe why people had a pop.

On the second point, I believe it's a bit of both. As an example, Radio 1 newsbeat where reporting on the streets of Liverpool last week on the effects of the postal strike. Some utter wag decided to broadcast some bird with a thick scouse accent saying;

"It's not fair like, people are waitin for Giro's an dat"

Now I pissed myself laughing at this knowing full well the tit at Radio 1 was hoping to get a reaction and was probably behind the scenes with his bum chums slapping each others shoulders.

That night I spoke with some of my family and friends and it was the hot topic of discussion. Some hit the roof, some emailed complaints etc etc... You get the picture.

It's a fine line between defending yourself and being over sensitive in my opinion.