You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Arrest order issued for Tevez's agent accused of money laundering

RSM

Tom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro and Matt Scott

Friday July 13, 2007

The Guardian

A Brazilian judge yesterday ordered the arrest of Kia Joorabchian, the Iranian-born businessman who acts as the agent to West Ham's Carlos Tevez , after a two-year investigation into accusations of money laundering in Brazil.

Joorabchian, one of the businessmen behind the Media Sports Investments group which launched an unsuccessful takeover bid of West Ham last year, is accused of participating in a money-laundering racket involving the Brazilian club, Corinthians. MSI, a subsidiary of an offshore investment company, has been under investigation in Brazil since it took over the club in December 2004. Officials from the Brazilian intelligence agency are also known to have looked into the company's background but until now no concrete action has been taken.

"The [MSI] transactions are carried out with the use of numerous offshore accounts which have the single and well-known intention of distancing the investor and the illicit origin of the resources from their final destination, in this case the purchase and sale of [football] players," the federal attorneys Silvio Luis Martins de Oliveira and Rodrigo de Grandis were reported as saying by the Brazilian legal website consultor Juridico.

Joorabchian has maintained his innocence throughout. Yesterday the Sao Paulo-based judge Fausto Martin de Sanctis also ordered the arrest of Nojan Bedroud, an Iranian businessman linked to MSI, and the Russian business tycoon Boris Berezovsky, alleged to be the financial backer of MSI. None of the three men was in Brazil yesterday.

Instead Brazilian authorities forwarded the warrants to Interpol. The bank accounts of MSI in Brazil were also blocked. The activities of Joorabchian and MSI in Brazil first came under scrutiny in a 2005 report compiled by the Sao Paulo organised crime squad and the state public prosecutor. The document, to which the Guardian had access, claimed that "sufficient indices [exist] to show that the partnership MSI-Corinthians is being used to practise the laundering of money".

Joorabchian and MSI seem bent on calling the Premier League's bluff on the Tevez affair, reiterating last night that the Argentina forward will soon become a Manchester United player. In a statement he said: "On Tuesday Tevez will fly to Britain for a medical at Old Trafford as part of the process of his transfer to Manchester United. MSI is considering making an application to Fifa to request that they mediate in the dispute. It is our understanding that all parties involved in the transfer are now satisfied the administrative issues will be settled in the next few days."

Sir Alex Ferguson was saying that his club "think he's our player; it's just a matter of making sure everything's done properly", but the Premier League stressed again that this can be only if a market-rate fee is paid to West Ham.

It is understood that West Ham remain aligned with the Premier League's position, that they must receive a fee, but it is believed that they do not expect to do so. However, the club are not thought to be minded to make a complaint against the Premiership champions under the league's tapping-up regulations.

Ooo the plot thickens.

Probably not surprising that Kia is involved in money laundering though. My Brazilian mate (who's a Corinthians fan) has been lamenting how dodgy the deals between Corinthians and Kia were since a few years back.

Tom Phillips in Rio de Janeiro and Matt Scott

Friday July 13, 2007

The Guardian

A Brazilian judge yesterday ordered the arrest of Kia Joorabchian, the Iranian-born businessman who acts as the agent to West Ham's Carlos Tevez , after a two-year investigation into accusations of money laundering in Brazil.

Joorabchian, one of the businessmen behind the Media Sports Investments group which launched an unsuccessful takeover bid of West Ham last year, is accused of participating in a money-laundering racket involving the Brazilian club, Corinthians. MSI, a subsidiary of an offshore investment company, has been under investigation in Brazil since it took over the club in December 2004. Officials from the Brazilian intelligence agency are also known to have looked into the company's background but until now no concrete action has been taken.

"The [MSI] transactions are carried out with the use of numerous offshore accounts which have the single and well-known intention of distancing the investor and the illicit origin of the resources from their final destination, in this case the purchase and sale of [football] players," the federal attorneys Silvio Luis Martins de Oliveira and Rodrigo de Grandis were reported as saying by the Brazilian legal website consultor Juridico.

Joorabchian has maintained his innocence throughout. Yesterday the Sao Paulo-based judge Fausto Martin de Sanctis also ordered the arrest of Nojan Bedroud, an Iranian businessman linked to MSI, and the Russian business tycoon Boris Berezovsky, alleged to be the financial backer of MSI. None of the three men was in Brazil yesterday.

Instead Brazilian authorities forwarded the warrants to Interpol. The bank accounts of MSI in Brazil were also blocked. The activities of Joorabchian and MSI in Brazil first came under scrutiny in a 2005 report compiled by the Sao Paulo organised crime squad and the state public prosecutor. The document, to which the Guardian had access, claimed that "sufficient indices [exist] to show that the partnership MSI-Corinthians is being used to practise the laundering of money".

Joorabchian and MSI seem bent on calling the Premier League's bluff on the Tevez affair, reiterating last night that the Argentina forward will soon become a Manchester United player. In a statement he said: "On Tuesday Tevez will fly to Britain for a medical at Old Trafford as part of the process of his transfer to Manchester United. MSI is considering making an application to Fifa to request that they mediate in the dispute. It is our understanding that all parties involved in the transfer are now satisfied the administrative issues will be settled in the next few days."

Sir Alex Ferguson was saying that his club "think he's our player; it's just a matter of making sure everything's done properly", but the Premier League stressed again that this can be only if a market-rate fee is paid to West Ham.

It is understood that West Ham remain aligned with the Premier League's position, that they must receive a fee, but it is believed that they do not expect to do so. However, the club are not thought to be minded to make a complaint against the Premiership champions under the league's tapping-up regulations.

Anyone would think the brazilian authorities had a reason to upset torres and co, (6)

Come to think of it isnt there a big match on this weekend :whistle:

Saw him speak for the first time last night on SSN and he seems like a real shady fuck. He reminded me of Al Pacino/the devil in Devil's advocate.

I reckon if you fell asleep in his company you'd wake up with one less kidney.

If I'd been the sky journo, after the camera had finished rolling i'd have stopped him, taken my glasses off, looked at him earnestly and said: 'I've heard about this slick shit of yours...and it doesn't work on me.'

Saw him speak for the first time last night on SSN and he seems like a real shady fuck. He reminded me of Al Pacino/the devil in Devil's advocate.

I reckon if you fell asleep in his company you'd wake up with one less kidney.

If I'd been the sky journo, after the camera had finished rolling i'd have stopped him, taken my glasses off, looked at him earnestly and said: 'I've heard about this slick shit of yours...and it doesn't work on me.'

Let me lay it on the line for you and your boss, whoever he is. Carlos Tevez will never get that move. I don't care how many dago guinea wop greaseball goombahs come out of the woodwork.

Let me lay it on the line for you and your boss, whoever he is. Carlos Tevez will never get that move. I don't care how many dago guinea wop greaseball goombahs come out of the woodwork.

I have a special practice.I handle one client. Now you have my number. I'll wait for your call..

And then Kia Joorabchian comes along with his olive oil voice and guinea charm, and he runs off. He threw it all away just to make me look ridiculous! And a man in my position can't afford to be made to look ridiculous!

You're taking this too personally.

My beloved is an 'Ammer. I can't tell you how happy she is that Smeagol got ownership of her club, rather than this dodgy turd.

She's had a mixed day today. She's lost Yossi, but Joorabchian's being investigated and Sheff U have got the Big Fuck Off from the High Court.

(Doncha just love Sheff U? Their own failures are blamed on everybody else, without so much as lip-service paid to logic or reason and no acknowledgement of their own inherent shitness. Do they remind you of anyone?)

I can only assume that Tevez and Mascherano are getting a big cut of their loan and transfer fees from Joorabchian. It's the only reason I'd see that they would agree to be "owned" by MSI and not a club. Plus they both still seem to really like and trust Kia despite him almost fucking over their careers with the dodgy arrangement at West Ham.

Has there ever been any reports to suggest this?