You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Some people always bang on...

DT

...about the Geordies being fairweather fans and not bothering to turn up when they were relegated etc.

In Robbie Fowler's book he obviously mentions the 5 goals against Fulham in the return leg in the Coca Cola Cup. Now he mentions the fact that only 12,000 bothered turning up at Anfield. The ever reliable Liverweb.org.uk confirms the attendance was indeed only 12,541.

Now what does that make us?

That season we had an attendance of less than 40,000 on 11 occasions (in the league only), one of them on the 8th of December against QPR saw only 24,561 turn up and in April we beat Ipswich with only 30,485 there.

I know it's not 12-13,000 for a league game, but then we weren't close to relegation, we finished 8th.

It's funny you should single out that match as it's one of only 3 or 4 home games that I actually missed throughout the entire 90's. I was on holiday in Rhodes and I'd just saw Robbie home debut (sub against Forest if memory serves me right) on the Saturday before rushing to the airport. While I was there I got talking to an Arsenal fan who worked in a bar, he was going on about Ian Wright being the best striker in the world so I told him (tongue in cheek) Robbie Fowler was better and to remember the name. Obviously he'd never heard of him and started taking the piss until I walked in the bar after the Fulham game and threw the paper at him with the news of Robbie's 5 goals.

The following season Robbie scored THAT hat-trick against them and I've always wondered what that lad was thinking at the time. Gotta love shutting big mouth cockneys up.

That season we had an attendance of less than 40,000 on 11 occasions (in the league only), one of them on the 8th of December against QPR saw only 24,561 turn up and in April we beat Ipswich with only 30,485 there.

I know it's not 12-13,000 for a league game, but then we weren't close to relegation, we finished 8th.

If it's the QPR game that I'm thinking of, I'm pretty sure that it had belted down with rain for the previous 24 hrs and there was a very high possibility that the game was going to be called off. Think there may have been a pitch inspection about an hour or so before the game - definitely remember checking radio reports on the way to the ground to see if the game was actually on. That may explain the low attendance. Think we may have lost that game (or perhaps we drew?) - seem to remember Kevin Gallen scoring at the Anfield Rd end...Jesus, the shite that stays in your head...

Les Ferdinand was sent off for two yellow cards that day, the 2nd booed by the Kop because it was an attempt on goal. The ref was booed as he was a disgrace.

GJM is right. It was raining for almost 24 hours previously as I lived on Venmore Street (in my final year at Uni) and remember it.

We won 3-2 but I must admit Liverweb doesn't give you any information on the weather that day:-)

(Mølby pen, Barnes, Rush)

Severe oversight by Liverweb there. Just a little weather symbol is all that's needed. Ha d a look myself and discovered that the 1-1 was actually the following season (where, despite the monsoon conditions, 35,000 people risked a wasted trip).

Les Ferdinand was sent off for two yellow cards that day, the 2nd booed by the Kop because it was an attempt on goal. The ref was booed as he was a disgrace.

GJM is right. It was raining for almost 24 hours previously as I lived on Venmore Street (in my final year at Uni) and remember it.

Thank you for the endorsement of my weather memories. Now wondering whether I am getting my results/weather scenarios a bit mixed up as I thought the downpour was before the 1-1 game - I no longer trust myself to accurately recall anything that happened before yesterday!

...about the Geordies being fairweather fans and not bothering to turn up when they were relegated etc.

In Robbie Fowler's book he obviously mentions the 5 goals against Fulham in the return leg in the Coca Cola Cup. Now he mentions the fact that only 12,000 bothered turning up at Anfield. The ever reliable Liverweb.org.uk confirms the attendance was indeed only 12,541.

I'm up to that bit in the book as well.....

The bad weather was definitely before (and during and after) the 1-1 QPR game. I bought a ticket outside and was sat next to this 'thing' in the Kemlyn Road. Wasn't sure if it was a male or female - I remember it very well.

The rain was unbelievable.

I'm sure John Scales scored?

I'm up to that bit in the book as well.....

I'm just about to get started on the Houllier chapter and am bracing myself for a few truths on Houllier and Thompson.

He certainly doesn't hold back in his criticism of Hoddle and Eriksson (and Stan Collymore) , so I'm sure he'll have a few interesting things to say about Houllier.

The bad weather was definitely before (and during and after) the 1-1 QPR game. I bought a ticket outside and was sat next to this 'thing' in the Kemlyn Road. Wasn't sure if it was a male or female - I remember it very well.

The rain was unbelievable.

I'm sure John Scales scored?

Thank you. Good to know that age & booze have not completely scrambled the memory banks. Although I can't for the life of me remember Scales scoring - but I do remember Gallen scoring for them as everybody was saying what a star he was going be in the future. Pundits eh, what do they know?!

For the record I was there that night. But I've been to many games such as that-2nd legs of the league cup or European tie where we are already leading from the away game- when I've come away thinking "That was boring, why did I bother". I sometimes miss such games now if they're on live TV. There is no interest in going if it's not competitive.

I started going on a regular basis around 91/92 DT and it was very rarely that we did sell out. I know lads who I used to go to school with me and they would go four times a season. Twice to get the vouchers for Everton/United games and the Everton/United game.

Also football was in a transitional phase from the way it had been in the late 80's to the all singing all dancing Premiership of the 90's. If you look across that league, I would wager that pretty much every team had low gates. Seem to remember a Wimbledon/Everton game around 93/94 and I still think it is the lowest attendance in the Premiership.

I think what winds people up with Newcastle is that they are 'self proclaimed' loyal fans and have brought a lot of stick upon themselves. They even have a song where they sing about being the loyalist fans in the land. I know we used to poor attendances at certain games in the 80's as well but I am sure there are people who are much older and wiser than me who know why that is.