You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

GF music review club

Carvalho Diablo

Yeah, I wrote a detailed one for that pretty much straight away. Want to one for each of the ones I have listened to today as well. When I get the time of course.

It looks like you're bang up to date. Looking forward to the next album, hopefully a good one. No pressure at all. None. After all, it was his thread idea. Honestly, no pressure.

No pressure at all...

Okay then, due to a week of heavy drinking and terrible insomnia I decided to put myself to use and I've been up half the night creating this :

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHmD81dOULR2dlVx03buDBQ/featured?view_as=subscriber

TLW GF Music Collective, we now have our own Youtube channel. Okay, it's all a bit primitive atm, but give it time. All the links are in there (to the website, this thread and to the Spotify playlist) , and with all the albums of the week selected so far.

So give the link a click, click on subscribe and join in via Youtube if that's your prefered method of listening. All the AOWs are listed in the Playlists tab, links back to the site and to Spotify are on the home page header and also in the About tab.

• Upvote 2

Have to admit this has been pretty low on the list of priorities this past couple of weeks, but rest assured, I should have a bit more free time coming up now to review the shit out of these bitches. Particularly looking forward to sitting down with a glass of wine and jamming with Fela Kuti.

Oasis, Bummed, Tyler have all been listened to and absorbed.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Fela Kuti. I had a “Jamaican cape”, sat back and relaxed while Ginger Baker guided me through the 5 songs with mastery that I don’t believe can be topped. It’s quite a repetitive album in terms of the hooks etc but that doesn’t matter. It’s boss. 8/10.

Just listening to Masterplan on the bus home. So I’ll try and write a review as I travel.

• Upvote 1

Masterplan - Oasis.

Well, this wasn’t really a surprise coming from Stig was it?

I could sit here and slag them off all day long just to get a rise out of him but I just can’t do it. Masterplan holds a special place in my past and just sitting here listening to it on the bus like I did 20 years ago, is bringing back some great memories of being 18/19. And with not listening to it for at least 18 years, I wondered if I had a distorted view back then compared to now.

Acquiesce - Well, didn’t I get a little thing of excitement hearing Noel sing those echoey vocals from “What’s The Story” I did like this back then, and there’s no reason why I shouldn’t have the same opinion. A good start.

Underneath The Sky - I always loved bed the start to this with the guitar and the effect used. “We live our life in a suitcase” really does relate to my life at that time. Another good song from the NoWaySis boys.

Talk Tonight - My old party piece, first Oasis tune I learnt to sing and play on the acoustic. While I like this version, it’s nothing on the version Noel did with Paul Weller on C4’s White Room (Anyone remember that?) simple lyrics and vocals. Still one of my favourites.

Going Nowhere - Always made me think of Burt Bacharach this. A nice song that I’ve enjoyed and it still keeps that Bacharach feel after all these years.

Fade Away - Sex Pistols rip off. Don’t like it. Not the strongest of tunes compared to the rest. It’s alright but nothing more.

The Swamp Song - Got a good stomping feel to it this one, probably features some of Noel’s best playing too.

I Am The Walrus - “It doesn’t matter if it’s out of tune, because your cool” always loved that sound bite from Liam. I’m not normally one for covers, and this doesn’t do enough to change my mind. Not as good as I thought it used to be.

Listen Up - I like the vocal melody to this one, even when Liam’s voice cracks in the higher bits. Defo would have been better with Noel on vocals. Still a decent song. I’d change some of the guitar parts myself but what the fuck do I know eh?

Rockin’ Chair - The start always made me think it was the end of a song rather than the beginning. It’s not the greatest but it’s a great song-a-long tune. And one to throw in at parties when the guitar gets out.

Half The World Away - Royle Family. Ralf Little, Jim Royle. Nuff said.

(It’s Good) To Be Free - Nah. Slow and laborious.

Stay Young - Sounds like a B-Side to the rest of the album.

Headshrinker - Rock & Roll baby. One the best B-Sides. I loved this back then and I’m buzzing listening to it now.

Masterplan - The tune where I first fell in love with the use of a string section. That opening chord sequence is lovely. They say it works down

So Stif potentially broke the thread by picking this but I’ll say nice one lad. Brought back so many memories of days gone by and bus journeys that were clouded by spliff smoke and tablets being taken in fields with this album being blasted out of a ghetto blaster.

Memory induced rating 9/10

Overall 7.56/10.

• Upvote 4

Masterplan - Oasis.

Well, this wasn’t really a surprise coming from Stig was it?

I could sit here and slag them off all day long just to get a rise out of him but I just can’t do it. Masterplan holds a special place in my past and just sitting here listening to it on the bus like I did 20 years ago, is bringing back some great memories of being 18/19. And with not listening to it for at least 18 years, I wondered if I had a distorted view back then compared to now.

Acquiesce - Well, didn’t I get a little thing of excitement hearing Noel sing those echoey vocals from “What’s The Story” I did like this back then, and there’s no reason why I shouldn’t have the same opinion. A good start.

Underneath The Sky - I always loved bed the start to this with the guitar and the effect used. “We live our life in a suitcase” really does relate to my life at that time. Another good song from the NoWaySis boys.

Talk Tonight - My old party piece, first Oasis tune I learnt to sing and play on the acoustic. While I like this version, it’s nothing on the version Noel did with Paul Weller on C4’s White Room (Anyone remember that?) simple lyrics and vocals. Still one of my favourites.

Going Nowhere - Always made me think of Burt Bacharach this. A nice song that I’ve enjoyed and it still keeps that Bacharach feel after all these years.

Fade Away - Sex Pistols rip off. Don’t like it. Not the strongest of tunes compared to the rest. It’s alright but nothing more.

The Swamp Song - Got a good stomping feel to it this one, probably features some of Noel’s best playing too.

I Am The Walrus - “It doesn’t matter if it’s out of tune, because your cool” always loved that sound bite from Liam. I’m not normally one for covers, and this doesn’t do enough to change my mind. Not as good as I thought it used to be.

Listen Up - I like the vocal melody to this one, even when Liam’s voice cracks in the higher bits. Defo would have been better with Noel on vocals. Still a decent song. I’d change some of the guitar parts myself but what the fuck do I know eh?

Rockin’ Chair - The start always made me think it was the end of a song rather than the beginning. It’s not the greatest but it’s a great song-a-long tune. And one to throw in at parties when the guitar gets out.

Half The World Away - Royle Family. Ralf Little, Jim Royle. Nuff said.

(It’s Good) To Be Free - Nah. Slow and laborious.

Stay Young - Sounds like a B-Side to the rest of the album.

Headshrinker - Rock & Roll baby. One the best B-Sides. I loved this back then and I’m buzzing listening to it now.

Masterplan - The tune where I first fell in love with the use of a string section. That opening chord sequence is lovely. They say it works down

So Stif potentially broke the thread by picking this but I’ll say nice one lad. Brought back so many memories of days gone by and bus journeys that were clouded by spliff smoke and tablets being taken in fields with this album being blasted out of a ghetto blaster.

Memory induced rating 9/10

Overall 7.56/10.

Repped for use of the word Stif.

giphy.gif

Hold yer horses ffs, I'm eating a chicken sandwich!

Oh, and did I mention our brand new TLW GF MUSIC COLLECTIVE YOUTUBE CHANNEL ?!

DID I ? DIDN'T I?!

Give it a click, click SUBSCRIBE, check out the PLAYLIST tab and the ABOUT tab. If you're on a laptop you can also click on the DISCUSSION tab and drop in some pearls of wisdom / call Stig a cunt.

Anyway, what u waiting for ?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHmD81dOULR2dlVx03buDBQ/featured?view_as=subscriber

This sarnie is lovely btw.

So, I must have been 22 at the time, I remember it well, it was a steamy summer's Saturday night down at my then favourite hangout, Fat Jimmy's Bar, slap bang in the middle of nowhere. Jimmy's was packed as it always was, trebles for a quid always had that desired effect; Dodgy Mick the manager and his girlfriend Bongeyed Debbie were behind the bar in a scene resembling Zulu, but I had other things, on my mind.

I'd been cracking on to this red haired girl, Helen, for a few weeks already. She was sat close to me, quite beautiful in her own windswept, womanly way; long wild flame haired, gorgeous pale green eyes, tanned and freckled, wearing an old flannel shirt and a pair of denim shorts. I was plying her with triple voddies when my mate Paul rushed up to us. Now Paul is a great lad, a cracking guitarist in his own right, but it's fair to say I'd never seen him looking quite like this, he was panting, sweating, he looked dazed and confused

"What is it mate ? Are you okay ?"

"Shep, you've got to listen to this...", Paul reached into the back pocket of his jeans and pulled out an old TDK cassette tape, "...NOW!"

Gentlemen, I give to you my album of the week, Suicidal Tendencies - The Art Of Rebellion.

MI0001326457.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Born on the means streets of Venice Beach, Suicidal Tendencies have some back story. From their controversial early affiliation with the V13 / Crips gangs, regular violence at their gigs leading them to be banned from playing in Los Angeles for the better part of a decade, to band leader Mike Muir's timeless "All I wanted was a Pepsi, and she wouldn't give it to me", you might think you know what to expect from these skate / punk / crossover bad boys.

Think again.

The Art Of Rebellion is in many ways Suicidal's most controversial and polarizing record. Because of it's progression and outrageous musicality TAOR is hated by many SxTx OG's, decried as blasphemy. Bollocks to that, I loved it from that very first listen.

Recorded when SxTx were actually a 4 piece band; Mike Muir on vocals, Mike Clark and Rocky George on guitars and Rob Trujillo (now with Metallica) on bass, they had to rely on then unknown session drummer Josh Freese to lay down the beat. (Without wishing to colour your own reviews to any extent, fucking hell, the playing on this record is incredible. Rocky George take a bow son, take a bow.)

After Mook's sensational Fela Kti AOW I thought long and hard how I should follow it, I guess that like most of you I decided to go with a record which I love and cherish, different again from anything already chosen I think, but even for perhaps the more casual listeners like Stig and Turdseye, (and perhaps even a hip hop head like Paul too), I think TAOR might really surprise you.

As a footnote, I did get my end away with Helen, a few times as it happens, over the years. She's a Police woman now, married with 2.2 children, still a really nice lass though, even if she was lack a sack of spuds in the sack.

So gentlemen, without further ado, I give to you my album of the week, Suicidal Tendencies - The Art Of Rebellion

"Stand by stomach, here comes bananas"

Youtube :

Spotify : https://open.spotify.com/album/0YuCx3bdCJG3n2kuQOhiWL?si=H6dM_E5qQ9mwDG9N2mYEUQ

The muthafuckin TLW GF Music Collective Youtube channel (Hell yeah!) : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHmD81dOULR2dlVx03buDBQ/featured?view_as=subscriber

TLW Music Collective Spotify playlist : https://open.spotify.com/user/carvalho666/playlist/3k64dON6XvCI1W9GFNH8Gr?si=Wf8xoWSHT6-HZEJWRgJsVw

• Upvote 3

The scene they came from was a huge part of my life -- I lived Z Boys in real life. That said it is about 5 years past me so look forward to it. 

I do know that David Hidalgos son AND Thomas Pridgen played with Muir so look forward to it. 

I think I know more Infectious Grooves stuff tbh.

Wow, Dogtown, Tony Alva and Red Dog Jim Muir ? I bet you've got a few stories to tell. All ears too.

ST have had some insane rhythm sections over the years, Wackerman, Eric Moore, Ron Bruner, Dave Lombardo, RJ, all unreal drummers, plug them in next to Thundercat, Ra Diaz, Josh Paul, Trujillo. A carousel of jaw dropping players.

Wow, Dogtown, Tony Alva and Red Dog Jim Muir ? I bet you've got a few stories to tell. All ears too.

ST have had some insane rhythm sections over the years, Wackerman, Eric Moore, Ron Bruner, Dave Lombardo, RJ, all unreal drummers, plug them in next to Thundercat, Ra Diaz, Josh Paul, Trujillo. A carousel of jaw dropping players.

Check the Old School thread - I put up a few vintage skate related- I was NoCal

• Upvote 1

Just finished Mooks pick

Fantastic and will definitely be looking up more from Fela Kuti.

Stand out for me

Black Man's Cry

Ye Ye De Smell - The first three mins had a great underlying sound that just stood out as a African beat over the Doors.

The last track with Ginger Baker and Tony Allen was very good too.

A good 9/10 for me

My only memory of 'Suicidal Tendencies' was seeing those words sprayed on a wall near my housing estate when I was growing up and thinking "that's some serious cry for help" - didn't know they were a band until about 10 years later. I've honestly not listened to a single track of theirs knowingly, so I'm keen for a listen. In keeping with the spirit of the thread I will listen with an open mind!

After the pleasant surprise that was Fela Kuti I was looking forward to the next recommendation. Having no knowledge whatsoever of Suicidal Tendencies wasn't sure what to expect. Can definitely say I got a surprise. Initially thought you had got me listening to some sort of American Hard Rock. Then changed my mind because I was definitely hearing Metal, before changing my mind yet again and deciding upon that this was in fact some sort of hybrid. More, the balance between the varying forms quite often changes from song to song. It's all rock but there are more than a few styles of that school blended together to make this album. 

Now I wasn't sure at first whether I was actually going to comment on this pick. This is an album that someone clearly loves and I didn't want to come across as the grumpy old mean who ruins the party. Then I thought about it a bit more and remembered where I was actually posting. So yes I have a few problems with this album. I could for instance mention the lead singer's style and tone. It's unusual. Now you can overlook or forgive stuff if something else catches your interest but here lies my main issue. I have just never clicked with the genres that ST straddle here on this album and I struggled with this one as I would with any other album in some vein. Sorry, it's a not my cup of tea rating from me on this occasion.

• Upvote 2

Suicidal Tendencies - The Art of Rebellion
Having grown up listening mostly to dance music, my first introduction to this type of sound was actually via The Prodigy. Their track "Their Law" on 'Music for the Jilted Generation' has the guitar sound I hear all throughout TAOR. Liam Howlett was a huge fan of 80's Hip/Hop and Skater type music - Jane's Addiction etc. and I'm sure he must have listened to Suicidal Tendencies. I never heard anything like it really and I'll be honest it was years before I was able to appreciate 'Their Law' on that album.

Anyhooooooo..
I've had 3 listens to it now and I'm a bit like REDTALISKER above when it comes to this. I don't enjoy the vocal delivery. It's not a style I enjoy. I think his voice is actually too soft for the style of music. Maybe it's not like that on their other albums? Must have a listen I guess..
On the other hand the playing on this record is amazing. Really tight and the guitars and drums sound amazing. It's not my bag though I'm afraid and I can't see myself listening to it again.

• Upvote 1

So as stated - I am probably 5 years too old for this band -- in 77-78 we were listening to The Clash, Elvis Costello and the Cars thinking we were underground FFS.

There is a pretty cool breadth of sounds for what I guess would be classified as a metal record. But this was a grunge era release so not sure tbh.

I do agree that the vocals become very pinched once he gets into his higher range - and the range is not great compared to great metal vocalists. There is some really melodic guitar playing in Nobody Hears -- its a good track.

Tap into the Power is great groove metal - w a ripping solo - and shows Muir is better talking through a tune than getting into the that triple tracked nasal high end that is on almost every chorus.

And I like the talk through on Feel/Asleep - and the track becomes really melodic - the kind of track that set this apart from earlier thrash/metal. The vocals work cuz he is never pushin - either talking it through or full falsetto, sounds like what the Chili Peppers want to be sometimes. And the guitar is nice - bass gets a chance to riff.

Fast forward through the next track - nothing for me.

Hate you Better - again, for me, a very RHCP feel and chord structure - just with far better guitar.

Then you get to Free -- great guitar track, explosive tapping, sweep picking - Lifesonesque melodicism ( a little nod to Temples of Syrinx on the outro) , VH whammy. Highlight of the record for me as I have left the vocals behind by now.

Last track I like to  - decent structure - repeated lyric - good breakdown.

• Upvote 1