You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The Putney Bridge Pusher

Bjornebye

Why is it GBH and not attempted murder?

If that bus didn't swerve in time her head would've gone under that tyre and popped like a balloon.

I accidentally clocked my daughter in the face with a plate the other week. She was running into the kitchen as I was walking out. Neither of us were looking where we were going. The only saving grace was that my sausage butty didn't fall on the floor.

What should I be charged with?

I accidentally clocked my daughter in the face with a plate the other week. She was running into the kitchen as I was walking out. Neither of us were looking where we were going. The only saving grace was that my sausage butty didn't fall on the floor.

Crimes against cargo pants?

Flippancy on the internet.  

Guest Pistonbroke

Why is it GBH and not attempted murder?

If that bus didn't swerve in time her head would've gone under that tyre and popped like a balloon. 

Intent. Any defence lawyer worth their salt would rip a charge of attempted murder to pieces. I doubt he went out with the intention to murder/or attempt to murder someone. He can also say he was not aware of traffic behind him when he pushed her. He'll probably deny all knowledge of pushing her imo, but the camera never lies. he clearly veered towards her and pushed her, it had fuck all to do with defending himself. The court will see it that way, pretty certain about that. Reckon it will just come down to the severity of whatever fine/suspended sentence/sentence he gets. I doubt it will help his case that the coppers had to arrest him and he didn't come forward himself. 

Was there sauce on the sausage? Where was the sauce stored?

What kind of sausage was it? What kind of bread?

You understand that there has to be a full investigation to decide on the charges to be brought against you?

Intent. Any defence lawyer worth their salt would rip a charge of attempted murder to pieces. I doubt he went out with the intention to murder/or attempt to murder someone. He can also say he was not aware of traffic behind him when he pushed her. He'll probably deny all knowledge of pushing her imo, but the camera never lies. he clearly veered towards her and pushed her, it had fuck all to do with defending himself. The court will see it that way, pretty certain about that.Reckon it will just come down to the severity of whatever fine/suspended sentence/sentence he gets. I doubt it will help his case that the coppers had to arrest him and he didn't come forward himself.

I'd be disappointed if that bit in bold turns out to be true because the clip doesn't prove it definitively one way or the other. As evidenced by the discussion we're having here now.

Not wearing glasses, on the basis that i) you didn't see your daughter, and ii) you think a blatant push was accidental.

• Upvote 1

Intent. Any defence lawyer worth their salt would rip a charge of attempted murder to pieces. I doubt he went out with the intention to murder/or attempt to murder someone. He can also say he was not aware of traffic behind him when he pushed her. He'll probably deny all knowledge of pushing her imo, but the camera never lies. he clearly veered towards her and pushed her, it had fuck all to do with defending himself. The court will see it that way, pretty certain about that. Reckon it will just come down to the severity of whatever fine/suspended sentence/sentence he gets. I doubt it will help his case that the coppers had to arrest him and he didn't come forward himself. 

Thanks for clearing that up Piston. On one of the points you raise though - you say he didn't go out with the intention to murder / or attempt to murder someone. What if you go out without any intention and then almost murder someone. Doesn't that, in itself, constitute attempted murder? or does there have to be a premeditated component to it?

Guest Pistonbroke

I'd be disappointed if that bit in bold turns out to be true because the clip doesn't prove it definitively one way or the other. As evidenced by the discussion we're having here now.

Which way would you say the majority on this thread are leaning? You then have your answer. To me the video evidence has him bang to rights. 

Thanks for clearing that up Piston. On one of the points you raise though - you say he didn't go out with the intention to murder / or attempt to murder someone. What if you go out without any intention and then almost murder someone. Doesn't that, in itself, constitute attempted murder? or does there have to be a premeditated component to it?

Murder requires the intent to kill or cause GBH.

• Upvote 1

Some examples of what I mean, about how ordinary human beings automatically launch sausages across the room when they realise they're suddenly about to collide with someone:

grange-hill-sausage.jpg

• Upvote 2

I think the camera often lies, or at least allows for countless interpretations.

From the limited footage I've seen, I think it'll be hard to press charges. They'd have to prove some intent and that's not easy, even if he veers off line.

What is the most plausible explanation? - he set out to deliberate push someone (even if not into traffic) or that he'd been jogging, was a bit knackered and mis-stepped in a tired attempt to avoid her - accidentally knocking her in the process?

For GBH, they have to prove their was intent to cause grievous bodily harm - pretty hard sell that one (based on the footage I saw).

There's no obvious planning, no aggravating circumstance that might obviously have enraged him - so how they'll demonstrate intent is beyond me. They're talking about a decision made in 5 seconds - seemingly 'randomly'.

Of course, if there's then footage of him getting annoyed by other pedestrians in the build up to this incident... that's another matter - but until then... not guilty (even though my gut thinks he probably set out to nudge her in some pathetic way). Beyond reasonable doubt (as is the case for GBH) - seems a bit of a stretch.

Guest Pistonbroke

Thanks for clearing that up Piston. On one of the points you raise though - you say he didn't go out with the intention to murder / or attempt to murder someone. What if you go out without any intention and then almost murder someone. Doesn't that, in itself, constitute attempted murder? or does there have to be a premeditated component to it?

It all depends on the evidence gathered. Thankfully this has been caught on CCTV. If he had pulled out a knife whilst jogging past her then it is a different matter, if he had looked around, seen the traffic and then pushed her, different matter. But he was looking forward, veered towards her and pushed her. The GBH charge is because a charge of attempted murder would never stick, as explained above. Now whether he wanted to murder/seriously injure her, only he will know. IMO, he probably forgot about the fact he was on a busy bridge and lost the plot. We don't have all of the evidence though, maybe they knew each other or have met daily on the bridge, like some sort of on going argument. 

However, the police often over-arrest and lesser charges are brought.

That's what I meant with my query earlier.  

What do you think from the footage?  Do you think he'll be convicted of any offence, however severe?

Presumably he knew he was a wanted man and didn't hand himself in.

Guest Pistonbroke

The Mail or Scum will have his face splattered all over the front page after or during the trial. So at the very least he'll probably get a good  kicking off someone or a damn good shouting at. 

Guest Pistonbroke

Bet his car has the reg no D-FENS

He's from Chelsea mate, he'll just go out and spunk a shed load of money in the hope he can fix that.