You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

The only thing more annoying than us not being able to sign a player is the suggestion that there is some grand plan to make it look like we're trying to sign players when we really have no intention of signing anybody.

It's a really stupid argument.

You mean what like Everton usually do ;)

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still think if every team picked their best starting 11 that we are borderline 4th along with Spurs. Very close call although the Suarez/Coutinho factor could see us pass them. The issue is strength in depth still

We are better than Arsenal

On paper and in our heads, sure.

Shame reality and the premier league have to interrupt it for the past 6 seasons.

The end being what, though? I can't see any logical reason for it.

You cant??

Ever heard of the people's club? Have a look at how they work in the transfer market, while you are at it take a look at Arsenal's own long list of failed attempts, then witness the scores of deluded fans blindly following this and spending their hard earned money dreaming 'one day' and then begin to think about some of the deluded cretins in our ranks, such as yourself bending over backwards to accomodate this charade and justify and rationalise it all, all under the 'one day' banner. Think about their long suffering wives and children, decked out in hideous football clothery with no shame, unable to feed themselves but its ok cos they remortaged the house to buy more Arsenal/Everton shares ready to cash in when they reach the top.

Or maybe Im just crazy. Am I crazy yo?

The end being what, though? I can't see any logical reason for it.

It's not a matter of logic, but that's another matter!

Very speculatively, I would say that the purpose of such P.R. is the cultivation of hope. Hope is what keeps people buying tickets, shirts, T.V. subscriptions, and the rest. And nothing breeds hope better than talk of imminent "marquee" / "big money" signings.

I'm not suggesting that we weren't interested in those players, by the way. I'm suggesting that we had an interest in making that interest known and having it exaggerated.

You cant??

Ever heard of the people's club? Have a look at how they work in the transfer market, while you are at it take a look at Arsenal's own long list of failed attempts, then witness the scores of deluded fans blaindly following this and spending their money dreaming 'one day'

Yeah, Arsenal fans are immensely satisfied with their transfer dealings this summer, dennis.

And you didn't answer the question. Coherently, anyway.

The only thing more annoying than us not being able to sign a player is the suggestion that there is some grand plan to make it look like we're trying to sign players when we really have no intention of signing anybody.

It's a really stupid argument.

So we should just sit here passively and not comment on FSG's financial muscle, willingness to spend and their intentions?

It's not a matter of logic, but that's another matter!

Very speculatively, I would say that the purpose of such P.R. is the cultivation of hope. Hope is what keeps people buying tickets, shirts, T.V. subscriptions, and the rest. And nothing breeds hope better than talk of imminent "marquee" / "big money" signings.

I'm not suggesting that we weren't interested in those players, by the way. I'm suggesting that we had an interest in making that interest known and having it exaggerated.

OK. But you can surely only fool some of the people some of the time. Another transfer window like this and folk will be onto their tomfoolery. You may well be right, but I'm a little less cynical. You may say naive!

Though, if it transpires we actually being no-one in of note, there may well be more truth in your theory than I would like to believe.

Even football fans have a limit. Arsenal have been bullshitting their supporters for years.

But the CL qualification probably kept them happy until it dawned on them that CL qualification was actually the end game.

We would be a little less jittery if we were in the CL, mind. Well, I would.

The usual suspects at the Times, Telegraph, and Echo reported ambitious bids for Mkhitaryan, Papadopoulos, and Costa. Shaktar, Schalke, and Atletico denied receiving any bids.

It's not stupid to suggest that one possible explanation for this is P.R. activity by the club. We wouldn't be the first club to engage in that sort of activity, either.

What would be the point of it? What have we to gain out of doing this multiple times over? Nothing. Thats what.

The owners. If they've appointed the people to get feals adone and they're failing, it comes down to the owners.

Ayre should go back to trying to get money out of Asian market and get in someone who has a track record in football, or even has a clue about football to run the club.

I think FSG like having people who will just do what they're told, though. A real experienced football man wouldn't do that.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Theres a perfectly logical explanation.

Fool people into believing we want to sign players and thus pacify them. They've seen what happens when Liverpool fans get seriously fucked off with their owners.

It's not rocket science lads.

Now as a caveat I'll say I don't believe the club are doing that. I think we have a fucking shit transfer strategy at the moment. But I do believe we're trying.

Pacify? If that's the plan, it has gone badly awry. People are fucked right off.

So we should just sit here passively and not comment on FSG's financial muscle, willingness to spend and their intentions?

I didnt say you couldnt. I just said its pointless discussing it like there is some sort of conspiracy going on to try and convince people that we're going to spend.

Yeah, Arsenal fans are immensely satisfied with their transfer dealings this summer, dennis.

And you didn't answer the question. Coherently, anyway.

They have gotten away with it for years, (Im not complaining, clearly its kept us within distance of them, same with Spurs although they finally have began to operate like a club hungry for success.)

If you cant see the good its done Everton and kept the money rolling in at Arsenal and clubs who work like this then nothing I say will make you see it.

I think everyone else can see the 'logic' and thats going to just have to do for me.

Even if they dont believe it for theyselves I would think the logic is quite clear.

What would be the point of it? What have we to gain out of doing this multiple times over? Nothing. Thats what.

I stated a possible point. And also stated that this goes on at other clubs.

You honestly think the club does not engage in spin about transfer activity and other matters? It's a commercial enterprise, for God's sake. It's in the business of selling its product by any means possible.

Again I'll add the caveat I don't believe the club are doing this.

But surely you can see why they would if such a thing was transpiring.

It would be very very simple, it would be an attempt to make people think we've got money to spend and to keep a good chunk of the fan base onside because a lot of people will believe we've tried to sign X,Y,Z but couldn't because of the price, wages, his Labrador...whatever...

Essentially they can deflect blame from themselves and say "Well, we tried"

It would just be an attempt at pacifying enough of the fan base to keep things ticking over.

I've had my suspicions throughout the past few weeks that this may have been the case.

But I don't believe its happening at the moment. I think we're trying to do business but we might not have a very coherent sound strategy. We're also probably being firm in our valuations of players. No bad thing to be honest.

Pacify? If that's the plan, it has gone badly awry. People are fucked right off.

I dont think many of them are, just the most vocal, most of which, yourself included have been defending FSG etc so its worked for them so far.

The policy is not without its risks but it does save money, the PR is just to supplement that and convince just enough of the fans we are contenders to prevent a full scale revolt, which if it happend Im not sure what it would consist of. Its not like we get to elect these people.

Theres still loads content with how we're looking though NV.

Plenty will be pissed.

But plenty will think oh well. Lets just get on with it.

Anyway I'm going to bow out of this before I get accused of wearing a tinfoil hat.

Was simply stating its not some insane illogical plan they would implement. Its mad to think it wouldn't work to some degree IMO.

I stated a possible point. And also stated that this goes on at other clubs.

You honestly think the club does not engage in spin about transfer activity and other matters? It's a commercial enterprise, for God's sake. It's in the business of selling its product by any means possible.

Of course they do. Thats what the press is for. But come on, it's downright fucking stupid to think that this is some masterplan to try and dupe a whole fanbase.

I didnt say you couldnt. I just said its pointless discussing it like there is some sort of conspiracy going on to try and convince people that we're going to spend.

If by "conspiracy", you mean one bloke at the club passing information to another guy at a newspaper, then, yes, you can refer to a conspiracy here.

People conspire all the time, you know. It's not irrational in itself to speculate about them doing so.

Of course they do. Thats what the press is for. But come on, it's downright fucking stupid to think that this is some masterplan to try and dupe a whole fanbase.

It's no masterplan. It's a crude P.R. exercise. But successful enough for most to think, "At least we're trying to spend money."

How can it be just one man giving the press info? Surely the manager might catch on?

Catch on to what? Information about players we are interested in being passed to the press (albeit with a positive spin)?

I don't deny our interest. I suspect that (contrary to the positive spin) we haven't backed up that interest with actual bids. Because the clubs deny having received bids.