You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Alberto Luis

Jonjo Baldy

Alderwield isn't good enough to get in the team, by all accounts he's a liability and a total pussy, Couthinio is better than Eriksen in the number 10 role, no idea on wanayama but you're correct on the rest

Question: Was Countinho a first team shoe-in when we signed him or perhaps was he somewhat of a gamble and then found out what he is capable of?

Mkhitaryan, Papadopoulos, Mignolet, & Alderwield are not squad players!

We have also been linked with Tello, Eriksen and Wanyama, again non are squad players.

None of whom we've signed I also said if we sign quality alongside the likes of Alberto and aspas then great. Mignolet isn't going to improve the side he's just going to be a replacement like for like if we are lucky, its a necessity so I've no issue there. But if we spend a lot this window there absolutely has to be significant improvement to the first 11 or we will just piss in the wind for yet another year. This window is huge.

None of whom we've signed I also said if we sign quality alongside the likes of Alberto and aspas then great. Mignolet isn't going to improve the side he's just going to be a replacement like for like if we are lucky, its a necessity so I've no issue there. But if we spend a lot this window there absolutely has to be significant improvement to the first 11 or we will just piss in the wind for yet another year. This window is huge.

Fair enough, but you did say that we're only being linked to squad players, which I don't think is correct.

We put bids in' date=' spoke to both clubs - in the case of Mkhitaryan felt we had reached agreement and had it been more simple, he could have been signed now.[/quote']

Mate how do you know this, because his club have publicly stated we weren't even close to agreement with them, that deal will drag out if it happens at all

I'd say he was a shoe in as I doubt he'd have agreed to join us if he hasn't been told he was gona be in the team

At the time, no one was sure about that. Some of the posts on here suggested as such as was the fee that we paid at the time.

No one from the fans could have predicted the impact he had when he transferred.

The moral of the story? Fee and reputation count for shit when signing unknowns potential future stars.

At the time' date=' no one was sure about that. Some of the posts on here suggested as such as was the fee that we paid at the time.

No one from the fans could have predicted the impact he had when he transferred.

The moral of the story? Fee and reputation count for shit when signing unknowns potential future stars.[/quote']

Couthinio wasn't unknown, far from it I'd argue

Mate how do you know this, because his club have publicly stated we weren't even close to agreement with them, that deal will drag out if it happens at all

The manager of the same club publicly stated the buyout clause was met! The Echo has said we were in negotiations for him, and expected (still expect) him to sign. The ownership has complicated things. Their CEO said exactly the same thing over Fernandinho, and the same was said over Coutinho also.

But the point is that we have been negotiating with a club for a player who is for the first team, and is of the standard that Bobby was talking about. A simpler process and he could have been signed by now.

Couthinio wasn't unknown, far from it I'd argue

Really?

So prior to us been linked with him, you saw him play on a regular basis and knew exactly what type of player he was?

It just seems unfair to write off when in fact signing Countinho was a gamble too.

The manager of the same club publicly stated the buyout clause was met! The Echo has said we were in negotiations for him' date=' and expected (still expect) him to sign. The ownership has complicated things. Their CEO said exactly the same thing over Fernandinho, and the same was said over Coutinho also.

But the point is that we have been negotiating with a club for a player who is for the first team, and is of the standard that Bobby was talking about. A simpler process and he could have been signed by now.[/quote']

Did they not say there was no buyout clause, no doubt we want him, but saying we coulda signed him already is a bit presumptuous, especially given this 3rd party stuff. Hopefully we've totally walked away from the Greek lad

Really?

So prior to us been linked with him' date=' you saw him play on a regular basis and knew exactly what type of player he was?

It just seems unfair to write off when in fact signing Countinho was a gamble too.[/quote']

Yes I'd seen him play before, on a regular basis no not at all but I had seen him play for inter under Rafa and a couple of games for espanyol, he's a full Brazilian international so was hardly unknown, my point is I doubt he'd have agree to join us if he wasn't told by Rodgers he'd be 1st choice

Really?

So prior to us been linked with him, you saw him play on a regular basis and knew exactly what type of player he was?

It just seems unfair to write off when in fact signing Countinho was a gamble too.

I know what your saying but he certainly wasn't unknown, he was signed by inter at 16 and when in young brazil squads they were debating who was better player out of him in neymar.

Similarites between cout and sturridge are they were both outstanding prospects from a young age but suffered due to lack of game time, these are the kind of 'gambles' I want us to go for.

Alberto fits this profile as he has obviously been identified as a top prospect at young age with barca looking at signing him, papa would also be one of these kind of players.

Carry on this philosophy and we will get some wrong but when we get it right we will have world class players who can give us years of service.

Ridiculous comparison of Coutinho and Alberto.

Coutinho was supposed to be the next best thing from Brazil and as someone else stated he suffered due to lack of games.

Better comparison would be between someone like Thomas Ince and Alberto

Bobby talking sense.

Ridiculous comparison of Coutinho and Alberto.

Coutinho was supposed to be the next best thing from Brazil and as someone else stated he suffered due to lack of games.

Better comparison would be between someone like Thomas Ince and Alberto

He did suffer due to lack of games at inter, that's why we managed to sign him and why they loaned him out the season before.

As you say he was a well known top prospect but when we signed him he hadn't been playing reguarly at inter.