You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

David Gill - FFP

No2

The ex-Manc chairman has been given the role of of implementing financial fair play. This has to be good news for us, although he will no doubt have to show no bias towards any club/league it can't be good for Man City or Chelsea to have a sworn enemy in charge of this.

FFP would be brilliant if it was actually enforceable (which it isn't).

UEFA doesn't have the bollocks to clamp down on the 'big' (in monetary terms) teams like Man City, Chelsea, PSG and Monaco. And I doubt they have the legal backing to get around the blatant loopholes such as City's £40 trillion training kit sponsorship or whatever it was.

I read that Gill will have a say in who will be approved or denied licenses to compete in Europe if the clubs don't comply with FFP. Didn't United get something silly like £18M sponsorship from AON for their training ground? Pretty sure City got millions for the sponsorship of their stadium (that they don't own). Not sure how FFP will be enforced or how UEFA will stop clubs from doing deals like this to work around the rules.

To be honest he could probably blatantly allow United to get away with everything under the sun and proceed to crucify every other team in the league and somehow it would all pass off without so much as a raised eyebrow.

That's pretty much how I've gotten used to most dodgy shit in football going these days so it honestly wouldn't surprise me.

All the while serious amounts of Mongs in the press and idiots in the general public will find ways of excusing it that border on ludicrous.

I read that Gill will have a say in who will be approved or denied licenses to compete in Europe if the clubs don't comply with FFP. Didn't United get something silly like £18M sponsorship from AON for their training ground? Pretty sure City got millions for the sponsorship of their stadium (that they don't own). Not sure how FFP will be enforced or how UEFA will stop clubs from doing deals like this to work around the rules.

Don't forget the 10 million a year they get from DHL to sponsor the training attire!

In all fairness, as much as I detest the shower, being able to command large sponsorship fees from independent companies like AON and DHL is a bit different from Sheikh Mansour basically giving money to himself.

Still, I guess that doesn't change the fact that Gill being in charge of enforcing any of this is more bent than a £9 note.

The FFP will only be effective if everything is taken into account. The way I see it is simple.

Revenue-All expenditure= investment capital.

Therefore Manchester Uniteds £60 million in interest repayments on their debt has to be taken into account. They are still £450 million in debt.

It's not as simple as that. The 'dishonest' inflated deals that for e.g. City do for their kit and ground blow that idea out of the water.

Also, does anyone else find the timing of Gill taking this job is a bit suspicious as well as asking why him? Surely an accountant could do the job far better.

To be honest, FFP is something that we only have 'so' much of an interest in. IE, we love to use it to complain when we fail, despite us spending tens of millions all over the place. Financial fairness didnt stop Dortmund beating Bayern in the league 12 months ago.

I wont blame FFP if we fail to put together a title challenge in the next two years.

That said, FFP NEEDS to be implemented to stop this imbalance between the lower leagues and the PL and to promote clubs to live within their means. However, this then raises the question of the division of television monies, so the word 'means' is not an equal one or fair one, and I'm sure the PL and FA and UEFA would rather not address that subject now, or ever.

I think there's an argument to say that Man City should receive less television money than Altrincham or county FA's. Not a great argument admittedly. The money itself doesn't, or shouldn't, PAY for any aspect of running their club sensibly. It's a reward for being rich, which is fucking ludicrous. But like I say, let's pretend it's not and go to sleep with a big smile on our faces.