You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

What is acceptable after 19 games of our PL season?

Code

I have tried to ask a few questions about what people think will be acceptable from Rodgers and the team halfway through the season.

The reason I ask is because I have a feeling my minimum expectgations might be a bit higher than others and its good to know where people are coming from to better understand their point of view.

If we look at the last 3 seasons where all the managers have been sacked at the end of the season or days later after they reached this point tally, this is what we find, I will also compare it with the top 4 as many think that is more important than winning things.

Dalglish 11/12:

4. Arsenal 19 11 3 5 35-26 36p

6. Liverpool 19 9 7 3 24-15 34p

Hodgson 10/11:

4. Chelsea 19 10 4 5 33-15 34p

9. Liverpool 19 7 4 8 23-24 25p

Benitez 09/10:

4. Aston Villa 19 10 5 4 29-17 35p

8. Liverpool 19 9 3 7 36-25 30p

So my question is what is the minimum requirement Rodgers and his team needs to meet halfway through the season for it to be acceptable?

Is it fair to say anything less than 25 points is unacceptable seeing that is what Hodgson got and he was sacked a few days later and at least 95% of the fanbase wanted him out?

With 8 games to go it looks like this.

Rodgers 12/13:

4. Everton 11 5 5 1 21-14 20p

13. Liverpool 11 2 6 3 14-16 12p

Personally I'd say anything less than 27 points after 19 games is simply not good enough and questions needs to be asked.

If anyone wonder, Dalglish got 33 points in his first 18 games when he took over after Hodgson, but I guess we were in a far better state then than now?

It's very thoughtful of you to post essentially the same fucking thing, making the same fucking point, in several threads across both Forums.

Just in case anyone - say a casual browser or someone who might occasionally dabble in football-related topics - missed it the first time. Or second. Or hundredth.

You're one of life's givers.

I have tried to ask a few questions about what people think will be acceptable from Rodgers and the team halfway through the season.

The reason I ask is because I have a feeling my minimum expectgations might be a bit higher than others and its good to know where people are coming from to better understand their point of view.

If we look at the last 3 seasons where all the managers have been sacked at the end of the season or days later after they reached this point tally, this is what we find, I will also compare it with the top 4 as many think that is more important than winning things.

Dalglish 11/12:

Hodgson 10/11:

Benitez 09/10:

So my question is what is the minimum requirement Rodgers and his team needs to meet halfway through the season for it to be acceptable?

Is it fair to say anything less than 25 points is unacceptable seeing that is what Hodgson got and he was sacked a few days later and at least 95% of the fanbase wanted him out?

Rodgers 12/13:

Personally I'd say anything less than 27 points after 19 games is simply not good enough and questions needs to be asked.

If anyone wonder, Dalglish got 33 points in his first 18 games when he took over after Hodgson, but I guess we were in a far better state then than now?

HAHAHAHAHA Absolutely fucking hysterical.

It's very thoughtful of you to post essentially the same fucking thing, making the same fucking point, in several threads across both Forums.

Just in case anyone - say a casual browser or someone who might occasionally dabble in football-related topics - missed it the first time. Or second. Or hundredth.

You're one of life's givers.

I think it deserves its own thread as its a pretty specific question and people seem very reluctant to answer it elsewhere and unlike others I dont cry in several posts if I dont get an answer to a question I have asked.

That and another issue will be solved by this thread.

I think it deserves its own thread as its a pretty specific question and people seem very reluctant to answer it elsewhere and unlike others I dont cry in several posts if I dont get an answer to a question I have asked.

That and another issue will be solved by this thread.

I think sometimes you mistake "reluctance to answer" for the very different "can't be fucking arsed to answer"

Dalglish 11/12:

Hodgson 10/11:

Benitez 09/10:

Rodgers 12/13:

What a fucking utterly pointless comment. We got 86 points in 2009 and didn't win the league whereas in 95% of other seasons this would have been good enough to romp home. 27 points after 19 could have you in 16th or 6th place depending on circumstances.

For now let's just support the manager.

Guest ShoePiss

I think you should go first code and also explain the consequences (well in your mind) of it not being acceptable if your points target isn't met.

Edit : not for the first time I didn't read all of your thread ha! Ok, what you mean by questions will need to be asked? Whether he should be fired?

No point abusing Code as its a valid question. Rodgers should be held accountable and measured by team results. That being said the larger question is what should be done if the answer is "unacceptable".

I don't want Rodgers sacked, but I do want FSG to get off their ass and appoint a proper CEO, bring in a class DOF and structure to oversee the manager. I can't say if Rodgers should be sacked because I don't have the info in regards to what his performance is and what the club expects. I sure as hell don't want Werner and Henry, or Ayre deciding his future either. I want us to do what City did when they hired Bergiristain.

If Mancini can be forced to work with a DOF why the fuck should Rodgers get a pass? Its farcical. Yeah the sheik spends loads but they also do things first class thats the real difference between them and Abramovich.

If we want to be like Dortmund or other rich but not mega rich clubs then we deserve a helluva a lot better structure than what is in place. Its long past due.

Maybe Rodgers is as good as he claims, we don't know and fans shouldn't be the ones who decide, but neither should absentee Hedge Fund nerds and TV shlepps.

I don't mind this question. Acceptable is 1.8 points per game average. So it makes 34-35 points or so. 70 points a season. Less than that is a fail. Over 80 points is the goal. I do not see any reason why we could not reach that (70 points, that is) with a pragmatic approach.

I don't mind this question. Acceptable is 1.8 points per game average. So it makes 34-35 points or so. 70 points a season. Less than that is a fail. Over 80 points is the goal. I do not see any reason why we could not reach that (70 points, that is) with a pragmatic approach.

Historical title winning form from here on in would get us 76 points. 70 is not going to happen.

Here have a snoozesheet.

20121112-tcp0-17kb.jpg

I'd rather judge at the end of the season, not half way through the season. Teams can have good first halves and poor second halves to the season (Dalglish and Redknapp had that last season). Other teams can have the opposite (like Everton last season). Best judge at the end of the season.

I think with the squad Rodgers inherited he should coming 6th, anything below would be disappointing. But would still back him as disappointments happen and I think managers need time, patience and backing. But I was saying the same this time last season with Dalglish.

It doesn't matter what the fans think, FSG will do what they want! As most would have given Dalglish another season to get it right.

Then we're on the road to fail. Which Code was trying to say in a "subtle" Norwegian in your face kind of way. I just think 70 points a season is the minimum acceptable...

Well, it's all a bit more involved than just points though isn't it. He needs to provide tangible evidence of improvement and that he's establishing a platform for continued improvement.

He's not done that. But he has managed to set a pretty low benchmark in the first 3rd of the season. So it should be a doddle to improve from here on in.