You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Gylfi Sigurdsson

marcus50bucks

Not really fussed about Sigurdsson, good player with potential.

But it's not like he'd come in and make a massive difference, which Rodgers spoke of yesterday. He'd also play second fiddle to Gerrard for as long as he's fit. Dont think he played in a position we should prioritise either. Much more important with one or two quality wide forwards/attacking mids and a central midfielder IMO.

• Replies 634
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gerrard will miss plenty of games though injury. If he plays as the attacking of a 3, who plays centre midfield alonside Lucas?

Rodgers has stated 3 or 4 players, so we will see some signings. And if Gerrard is not playing then Henderson or Adam will play. We won't be using the marauding Gerrard of past years anyhow, if he does play I think it will be more measured and possibly deeper.

Rodgers has stated 3 or 4 players, so we will see some signings. And if Gerrard is not playing then Henderson or Adam will play. We won't be using the marauding Gerrard of past years anyhow, if he does play I think it will be more measured and possibly deeper.

Then Sigurdsson would've been a good buy.

Gerrard will miss plenty of games though injury. If he plays as the attacking of a 3, who plays centre midfield alonside Lucas?

Im thinking CM is one of the positions Rodgers is looking at. Adam and Henderson have been far from convincing, to be kind. We dont have any guarantees Lucas will come back as good as he was, though ACL injuries are not as career threatening as they were 10-15 years ago.

As Gerrard has shown in the past and certainly this summer with England he's more than capable of being a brilliant central midfielder aswell, but he is not the beast he is when he's got a free license to attack. Look at the derby in which he scored 3, i know that was from central midfield, but he can make an awful lot of those runs when playing further forward, and he'll be overall more threatening from there.

Im thinking CM is one of the positions Rodgers is looking at. Adam and Henderson have been far from convincing, to be kind. We dont have any guarantees Lucas will come back as good as he was, though ACL injuries are not as career threatening as they were 10-15 years ago.

It fucking wants to be. We have a fucking terrible midfield, with only Gerrard really good enough, and he's 32.

Then Sigurdsson would've been a good buy.

Based on what?

Henderson looked good for Sunderland, so looking good for Swansea might not be the best example.

I think Henderson will come good, Adam I would happily trade for some magic beans. Personally we either need a defensive midfielder who can cover Lucas or if Gerrard does drop we need another CM, someone like M'Villa or Elm (cheap option). Siggurdson didn't strike me as a CM.

Because we have had 'bad' owners, and whilst that shouldn't be the barometer, it does put things into perspective.

The Stadium is being dealt with, but we are clearly not going to get a new stadium (which seems the right decision) and a redeveloped Anfield is not something to treat happhazzardly, they have to be very careful as they are ultimately talking about removing people from their homes.

Kenny fucked up! We (the majority) didn't want him to go because he is Kenny and we felt he deserved the chance to make ammends, but lets not pretend he was blameless, his campaign was poor to abysmal, and he through his signings and his tactics should carry the can for a lot of that. A pathetically piss poor Arsenal side managed to finish third in the league, we finished 8th and we spent money on players of whom, the free signing was by far and away the most effective, £60m was spent on not quite ready, to never anything more than average players. Any other manager would have been sacked. But I can only talk about how I felt, but towards the end of the season I was really fed up, 5 hour train journey's to Swansea to see the same shite that I saw at Tottenham was getting to me, and my feelings at that point where that he had to go.

They seem to have changed their mind on the DoF, but they have done so because they seem to have been told by all of their managerial targets that if they didn't do so, they wouldn't have a manager, Rodgers was always a target with or without. There was no great manager out there who stood out, so we have had to look to a manager who can become a great manager, it isn't ideal but considering our position it is understandable. To be honest, AVB (my preferred choice), Martine and Rodgers where much of a muchness in terms of risk and potential, Spurs clearly haven't gained one over us, as Rodgers was linked when Arry was favourite for the England job.

But all fans are doing is dismising positive links to players like Ramierez, Apelay and Belhanda and focussing upon the negative links like Davies, and Diame and Kalou, that isn't constructive criticism that is cherry picking convenient links to force a point.

Sigurdson was a 'meh' player two months ago, Rodgers worked with him and rated him, and we had agreed a deal, Spurs came in and upped the ante and he wasn't prepared to say 'sorry but I have agreed a deal with Liverpool for this much'. Had he signed he wouldn't have stopped the negativity so I fail to see why him not signing is seen as proof over the mistaken appointment of Rodgers, because that is how it is being described on this thread, Rodgers coulnd't even attract a player he worked with, how can we attract anyone else?

The club is getting hammered for every decision it is making, whilst anything that smacks of progress is being dismissed as 'wishfull thinking' and 'delusion'. I don't want owners to spend their money, I want owners to maximise our ability to spend our own money, and that will take time.

Now that's a good post-finally some sanity!

They said since day 1 that they will only spend money which we earn. So i can't see them doing heavy investments at all. That's why it was criminal the way dalglish and commoli wasted all the money on crap players like carroll, downing, henderson and adam.

We were never going to see an overhaul this year.

We need fine tuning.

Rodgers has seen some of the players today at Melwood. I'm sure, given time, he'll be able to see what he's working with on the field and then be able to sign new players accordingly. People are going to blame the owners, Rodgers, Kenny, Commolli for losing out on this player and for anyone else we don't sign. Be critical of them yes, but let's not panic over a player who has just signed for Spurs.

If he stays (and it is a big if, as I think he is a shitbag) but Aquilani does somewhat negate the need for Sigurdsson. If he stays he may mean focussing on the Wide players and the CM, as I presume he can also play the same role as Ramierez and taking into account what Trucker Paddy (and others) was saying about Suso it might be worth looking short term for that position.

Just thinking aloud here, so no need for a forensic examination (Code!).

If he stays (and it is a big if, as I think he is a shitbag) but Aquilani does somewhat negate the need for Sigurdsson. If he stays he may mean focussing on the Wide players and the CM, as I presume he can also play the same role as Ramierez and taking into account what Trucker Paddy (and others) was saying about Suso it might be worth looking short term for that position.

Just thinking aloud here, so no need for a forensic examination (Code!).

I agree, major if with Aquilani if he stays and manages to keep fit but it really puzzles me when people say he is shite, I'd wager he is better than most players we'd be able to sign for that position, the issues are all off the field

Other buyers were willing to do that, too. Doesn't mean they can do what they want.

Oh you mean the chinese multi-millionaire internet gaming tycoon from Shanghai or the Syrian businessman, Yahya Kirdi??

The point is we ended up in the possible hands, they have funded some transfers and we are looking forward to the new season with a new young manager.

Its not as if we are being handled by Aids and Cancer any more, who DID whatever they wanted.

I agree, major if with Aquilani if he stays and manages to keep fit but it really puzzles me when people say he is shite, I'd wager he is better than most players we'd be able to sign for that position, the issues are all off the field

I have feeling AA had a small impact on Sigurdssons' transfer.

He is not as bad as people making him out to be, but he needs to learn the Premier League from scratch now.

Guest Numero Veinticinco
Oh you mean the chinese multi-millionaire internet gaming tycoon from Shanghai or the Syrian businessman, Yahya Kirdi??

The point is we ended up in the possible hands, they have funded some transfers and we are looking forward to the new season with a new young manager.

Its not as if we are being handled by Aids and Cancer any more, who DID whatever they wanted.

We're spending what we earn, more or less, and we've spent big. Quite how people are turning that into an attack, I don't know. Well, I do; it's because Kenny got sacked and they're willing to twist anything into an attack. Where were the 'they've spent fuck all' comments when we spent 35m on Carroll, 24m on Suarez, 20m on Downing, 16m on Henderson?

That seems like it's not enough spending for some people. in the 20 months they've been here people want another, what, 50m? 100m? 200m? What they really wanted was Kenny not to be sacked.

Not really fussed about Sigurdsson, good player with potential.

But it's not like he'd come in and make a massive difference, which Rodgers spoke of yesterday. He'd also play second fiddle to Gerrard for as long as he's fit. Dont think he played in a position we should prioritise either. Much more important with one or two quality wide forwards/attacking mids and a central midfielder IMO.

This is spot on for me. Both Gerrard and Shelvey are good in this role, even Aquilani or Cole can fill in if they are still on our books. If we could have gotten him on the cheap (8m and 40 k wages) it would have been great, but we have other more pressing needs. He would have provided goals, but so will Gerrard and Shelvey from that position I think... Last consoling words, he's pretty slow, which is a quality we're all too familiar with...

Sorry mate, it's very relevant - Swansea had bid for and agreed personal terms for him until Rodgers moved to us - if they thought he was that good they would have battled it out for him. They obviously have a value for the player that was way below that being offered by Spurs and feel that they don't value him that highly.

Reading were the first club under Rodgers to bring Sigurdson into the English game on loan - they had the option of purchase at the end of the loan period. I don't think they didn't exercise that option because they thought he was too good for them.

I think if Swansea would have gone anywhere near Spurs' wage offer, they would have been smashing their own wage structure, and would not have been able to afford the demands for increases form the rest of their squad. Its not very good for morale to have 1 player earning significantly more than anyone else, especially at a small club like Swansea.

He signed for Reading's academy in 2005. They sold him 5 years later for a club record sale fee. As a 20 year old playing for a team not in the top division, I think the £6.5m+ was a bit too much for them to turn down.

Fuck Gylfi Sigurdsson, before B-Rod took over LFC I`ve never even heard of that guy. If anything this will probably piss off the other CM`s at spurs for suddenly being underpaid.

And besides, this season will be THE SEASON OF SUSO!!™ I`m calling it! :yes:

We're spending what we earn, more or less, and we've spent big. Quite how people are turning that into an attack, I don't know. Well, I do; it's because Kenny got sacked and they're willing to twist anything into an attack. Where were the 'they've spent fuck all' comments when we spent 35m on Carroll, 24m on Suarez, 20m on Downing, 16m on Henderson?

That seems like it's not enough spending for some people. in the 20 months they've been here people want another, what, 50m? 100m? 200m? What they really wanted was Kenny not to be sacked.

In retrospect, it had to happen to ground a few people and eliminate the 'what if Kenny is in charge?'. To be fair Kenny did nothing wrong, he set up his team and played the way he saw best for us to play. Problem was he drew, we lost, we missed chance after chance and played some dull football at times.

I loved the man, hell I still do; but we needed a change and I for one like the way FSG think.

I hate the way City have gone about and won the league; they done it the easy but fucking buying it. Even at the expense of United, I hate it. Makes football feel so dirty when really its such a beautiful game.

We should spend what we earn, but thats just it we have to earn it first.

They havn't funded any transfers have they? the club itself has! they have released more money via stream lining and having paid the debt off where the transfer money was going.. so realistically we would have 20 to 30 mil plus whatever from sales each year, since they stated we had cash in Jan and it wasn't used we should have a nice surplus for this window, but it doesn't appear that way as of yet!...

If you see the numbers they gave 30million out of their own pocket.

But I digress, we have not see any transfers yet so lets have this conversation again at the end of the window when we have bought a few players, eh?